Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Minor(?) front end damage...opinions greatly appreciated.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 05:10 AM
Vanaman

Default Minor(?) front end damage...opinions greatly appreciated.

Hey everyone,
So, I came home from working a 48 hour shift, and went immediately to sleep. While in my death-like slumbers, the maverick mechanic who rents my garage backed into the front of my new (to me)2009 Mustang. I was BEYOND furious. I took about 4 hours to cool off, and inspected the damage. I now have a tennis ball sized dent right on the edge of the hood, on the passenger side, right over the headlight pillar on the front fascia. The passenger side of the hood is now also bowed up about an inch. Upon closer under-hood inspection, the corner of my BRAND NEW A/M Eleanor style grille was snapped off, and the tabs the the grille snaps into (attached to the front fascia) are all bent out, and the grille is no longer secure on that side. I would like some wisdom from those of you who have experience is this matter. Can an aluminum hood with a dent right on the edge be repaired, or do you think I need a new one? (This person will be covering the repairs, and I had my eye on a GT500 hood on CL that was never installed on a car and is already painted my color) Also, do you think the damage to the tabs on the front fascia warrants a replacement as well? I know it's minor, but I prefer not to have my grille flopping about in the breeze. (The dent holds it securely now) I was thinking about looking for a CS fascia if that's the case. Anyway, thanks for reading, sorry for the lengthy post, I'll try to get some pictures up if I get a chance. Thanks again!
Old 10-06-2012, 06:03 PM
tjr1973
1st Gear Member

If the hood is bowed as well then it's garbage in my opinion. You need a new one. I would insist on a new grill as well since it should be returned to the way it was before.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:32 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

yes, new hood, grill and fascia, that's what an insurance adjuster would write it up as if it is as you state.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:28 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Like the others have said... And also keep in mind that if the GT500 is indeed a true GT500 hood (came off of one or made for one) it will not fit your GT without a front end conversion..
Old 10-07-2012, 12:24 AM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

^ It will fit, it will just have a small gap between the bumper and the edge of the hood. It still looks pretty damn good, IMO.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:24 AM
gothamems
3rd Gear Member

Best advice I can give you is this....your vehicle is NOT going to get repaired to your satisfaction if you try taking a higher road, try cutting corners, and be the "NICE GUY" throughout this entire repair! You want your vehicle repaired to spec, including any modifications you have done, period. As we have all heard time, and time again ...where do nice guys finish?
Old 10-07-2012, 04:50 PM
Vanaman

Great input everyone, I appreciate it a lot. I plan on pursuing this very aggressively. I'm fortunate to have a good friend that works as a mechanic in a ford dealership. I was looking at the prices for everything, and it follows as such; (from a Ford OEM parts website)

(Prices are MSRP)
GT hood assembly, 3z-16612-A $1593.83
GT HID headlight, Rt. side, 3z-13008-A $1202.05
GT Front Bumper cover, 3z-17D957-BAA. $421.68
Total;
$3217.56

Now, I'm thinking of negotiating with the insurance company to "save them some money" by purchasing a TruCarbon A29 Carbon Fiber hood for $999 instead of the Ford hood assembly, and using some of that saved money for a GT/CS front fascia. I'm going to fight for the headlight, because the factory HID's are great headlights. If I get lucky, they might just cut me a check after I get the quote for the prices on parts/paint and I can save myself enough cash for an intake/tuner combo. What do you guys think? If that's not making Lemon flavored vodka when life hands you lemons I don't know what is.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:44 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tanner05
^ It will fit, it will just have a small gap between the bumper and the edge of the hood. It still looks pretty damn good, IMO.
I don't know.. I think it looks crappy with the gap.. I don't call that fitting at all.. Should be nice and flush IMO..
Old 10-07-2012, 06:01 PM
Vanaman

Default Some pictures

Name:  ZF2Cf.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  77.6 KBName:  msLLd.jpg
Size:  63.1 KB
Name:  4ZyRP.jpg
Size:  59.3 KB
Name:  RxE0Y.jpg
Size:  56.9 KB
Name:  iFaEu.jpg
Size:  56.3 KB
Name:  zGlRO.jpg
Size:  45.1 KB
Name:  640mF.jpg
Size:  56.8 KB
Old 10-07-2012, 06:04 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

I'm guessing it was the trailer hitch that hit it right?

Quick Reply: Minor(?) front end damage...opinions greatly appreciated.