Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

3M guard or Clear Plastidip

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 07:54 PM
JFitz
2nd Gear Member

Default 3M guard or Clear Plastidip

I'm not terribly enthused with either product for this use, but I was reading about the clear plastidip and it intrigued me.

I have some nicks and pits and such across my hood and front bumper from road damage. Just little rocks and such. It happens. I'm resigned to them being there since I HATE the "bra" type covers that I see around.

I know that 3M makes a "sticker" type guard that is clear to protect the paint that is supposed to be hard to see.

Anyone have experience with this product? I feel like I would see the seams, expecially across the hood, and they would bother me.

The clear plastidip made me wonder about this. Is it "clear" enough to do something similar to the 3M shield? If so, I would think a professional shop could feather the plastip into the front end, almost like an extra layer of clearcoat, to protect the paint while being hard to see.

I dunno, what do you guys think?
Old 01-11-2013, 09:33 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

clear bra... leave the plasti-dip where it belongs... in the can on the shelf

American Muscle sells the full 3m clear bra line for our cars
Old 01-11-2013, 10:32 PM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

^What he said!

Besides, the clear plasti-dip isn't actually clear. It leaves a matte finish.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:45 PM
Shawzie
1st Gear Member

My buddy has the 3m on his hood and rocker panels,it's already discolored after 1 year and looks horrible! Kind of has a yellowish tinge to it.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:41 PM
JFitz
2nd Gear Member

Oops, forgot about the matte part. Stupid...

But 3M usually makes great stuff...I wonder if other people have had this problem with the clear bra.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:01 AM
ZPounds07GT
3rd Gear Member

I have seen a few cars with the #M clear on the front and you can see it over the hood SOMETIMES but not all the time and when you see it, you don't even realize that's what it really is. The seems are pretty hard to see.

The clear bra that AM offers only covers the stock GT bumper, so if you have a chin spoiler or anything other than that, it won't cover it.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:49 PM
gothamems
3rd Gear Member

Go with the 3M clear bra! I have it on three vehicles and two motorcycles, and it has performed flawlessly. If you have a good 3M installer, he can do any custom applications without a problem...for instance...I had a custom instal on a CDC chin spoiler, and had two custom pieces made that are installed under my installed louvers, so the louvers never touch the paint, they sit on the 3M.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:52 PM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

I'm considering purchasing the 3M clear tape as well as my ride is about to start experiencing long daily commutes on I-4. Glad to hear you've got a good experience, gothamems, and that the bra is pretty hard to see
Old 01-17-2013, 01:02 PM
mgil
1st Gear Member

I just picked up an 08 that had the 3m on the whole nose fenders and all. I had the car detailed and it came out great except where the 3m stuff was. just wouldnt shine , so we peeled it off and buffed it up and now looks like the rest of the car. If its a daily driver ya might want it on there, but for me , its off and stayin off.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:20 PM
gothamems
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mgil
I just picked up an 08 that had the 3m on the whole nose fenders and all. I had the car detailed and it came out great except where the 3m stuff was. just wouldnt shine , so we peeled it off and buffed it up and now looks like the rest of the car. If its a daily driver ya might want it on there, but for me , its off and stayin off.
BAD MOVE! When your inevitably get that first rock chip, you'd be wishing you didn't remove it. Here is the very simple way to return that shine to seasoned 3M clear bra....heat! If you got yourself a hair dryer or heat gun, put it on its lowest setting and simply heated the material, the shine would have returned instantly. Ive had scuffs and scratched in all of my installed clear bra applications, to remove these blemishes, all it takes is a little heat. The scratched melt together and disappear. Trust me a novice can do what I've described.

Quick Reply: 3M guard or Clear Plastidip