Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs > 2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 04-25-2013, 11:59 PM   #1
Shawzie
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008 mustang GT
Default Grabber Orange parts paint looks different??

Had some louvers,spoiler and side scoops painted and my painter used the factory paint code,problem is that that are quite a bit lighter then my car?? Anyone else experience paint differences? Inside my house the color matches dead on but once outside they are way lighter in color.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
Shawzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:18 AM   #2
akdoggie
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 Ford Mustang

Tint color is probably off on the clear coat. I see that a lot color mismatches when a blue or silver or some reds are repaired. There are a couple body guys on the Forum who can definitely give more detailed information on matching clear coats. Remember, your original paint has had time to fully cure, so that might be a possible part of the problem.
Black '07 4.0 coupe. 19" GT Wheels, Bullitt susp & GT brake upgrade, GT500 strut plates, Dynomax exhaust w/GT mufflers, S/D Coil, Live Wires, JLT CAI w/Diablo tune, Hood struts, IPU, GT MyColor, Leather Pwr Seats, 13 Boss Strg Wheel, a/dim mirror, Homelink, amb light console, Ford Nav/SYNC, hood scoop, qtr & side scoops, r/w louvers, GT500 spoiler, CS/GT frt & rr bumpers, rad ext & batt-m/cyl covers, underhood caps, plenum cover, tloc 7.5 w/3.73's, Seq t/lights, trunk switch. Whew!
akdoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:48 AM   #3
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: '07 Mustang GT

I was told by the shop that painted my chin spoiler that you'll never match the factory paint completely perfectly with GO. Everything was painted at the same time then and matches coming from the factory. Anything after that will be slightly off due to many reasons, even if close. My car was repainted after a hail storm and in flourescent light alot of the panels are slightly different shades. Plastic parts especially do not match the metal body parts as well. But only I notice it since it's my car...everyone tells me they don't see it until I point it out.

Edit: I get so many compliments that I think only us BOGO guys notice these things, you shouldn't sweat it if the parts don't match exactly

Last edited by Ricardo; 04-26-2013 at 12:56 AM.
Ricardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:52 PM   #4
07GrabU
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 Mustang GT

Yeah tough color to match. I got a gt 500 spoiler for $100 on eBay and outside looks dead on. In the garage it's a hair darker. My chin spoiler was a spot on match though. I also had the ford dealer paint the gtcs side scoops and they are a perfect match, who knows?
Old 04-27-2013, 12:14 PM   #5
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Vehicle: 2007 Pony Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
I was told by the shop that painted my chin spoiler that you'll never match the factory paint completely perfectly with GO. Everything was painted at the same time then and matches coming from the factory.
Now I have heard it all.
I have been told that my bumper covers were painted miles away
from the body and the other painted details like the mirrors and spoiler
when produced by Ford on the assembly line. And that they will never match.
This was told by the body man painting my rear bumper cover metalic redfire.
The story changes to cover the body mans **** when he cannot
get the paint to match.
I had them repaint it three times and it is still way too dark.

Now the pre-painted Roush HoodScoop I bought off eBay matched
like no ones busisness as did the pre-painted Roush 1/4 window covers/louvers.
Go figure. Someone with only a paint code gets it perfect miles away
but the body shop that has the car cant get the bumper cover to
match the rest of the OEM paint.
Metalic RedFire must be a biatch to match...
Originally Posted by chronos View Post
You and that darn manual! If you like it so much, maybe you should marry it!

Last edited by 157dB; 04-27-2013 at 12:19 PM.
157dB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:56 PM   #6
Shawzie
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008 mustang GT

Well I just put all the parts on my hood under a nice beam of sunshine and all the parts just look yellowish compared to my car. He won't repainting them cause he said he used the ford paint code. Off to another body shop I go!! I'll ask them what they think.
Shawzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:22 PM   #7
akdoggie
2nd Gear Member

A shot of darkened tint to a clear coat would bring the light yellow back to the dark tint of factory GO. That is what my T-Bird had to have done to it to make the fender, door and quarter match. It was door dinged and it really didn't match when repainted. I got hold of a Ford tech (local dealer body man) and he matched it up perfectly when another well known and popular shop couldn't do it. Just my ,02 cents.
Black '07 4.0 coupe. 19" GT Wheels, Bullitt susp & GT brake upgrade, GT500 strut plates, Dynomax exhaust w/GT mufflers, S/D Coil, Live Wires, JLT CAI w/Diablo tune, Hood struts, IPU, GT MyColor, Leather Pwr Seats, 13 Boss Strg Wheel, a/dim mirror, Homelink, amb light console, Ford Nav/SYNC, hood scoop, qtr & side scoops, r/w louvers, GT500 spoiler, CS/GT frt & rr bumpers, rad ext & batt-m/cyl covers, underhood caps, plenum cover, tloc 7.5 w/3.73's, Seq t/lights, trunk switch. Whew!
Old 04-28-2013, 10:23 PM   #8
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Vehicle: 06

Some colors are a biatch...
Could never, ever matched Tungsten grey and any other shop I know couldn't either.
Had a Grabber Blue Stang for collision and couldn't match it as well.
I tried 3 different quality brands with alternate codes with no success so in the end I altered the tint myself and blend anyway.

I'm getting tired of this cr@p, all the pressure put on the painter about color match...
We're not supposed to be f***** chemists and make color tints ourselves but with today's materials, we don't have a choice sadly.
Used to be that a 5 year old car or newer wasn't a problem in any color but those days are gone now.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:46 PM   #9
akdoggie
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pascal View Post
Some colors are a biatch...
Could never, ever matched Tungsten grey and any other shop I know couldn't either.
Had a Grabber Blue Stang for collision and couldn't match it as well.
I tried 3 different quality brands with alternate codes with no success so in the end I altered the tint myself and blend anyway.

I'm getting tired of this cr@p, all the pressure put on the painter about color match...
We're not supposed to be f***** chemists and make color tints ourselves but with today's materials, we don't have a choice sadly.
Used to be that a 5 year old car or newer wasn't a problem in any color but those days are gone now.
You were the body shop worker I was thinking about when I mentioned tinting the clear to get a color match. I remember a thread a couple years ago when you were talking about a paint match then. Seems that it was the gray were were talking about if my mind isn't slipping farther into the abyss.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:55 PM   #10
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Vehicle: 06

Quote:
Originally Posted by akdoggie View Post
You were the body shop worker I was thinking about when I mentioned tinting the clear to get a color match. I remember a thread a couple years ago when you were talking about a paint match then. Seems that it was the gray were were talking about if my mind isn't slipping farther into the abyss.
Don't worry, my own mind is already at the bottom of the abyss, lol.

Funny thing is, the paint store always ask for the car Vin# when you order paint but I'm like: What do you need it for? You're not gonna give me something that matches anyway...

Last edited by pascal; 04-29-2013 at 07:58 PM.
pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:55 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement