Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Aftermarket Authenticity

Old 06-13-2013, 05:17 PM
AJSpags
2nd Gear Member

Everyone already gave the advice I wanted to, just make sure you post up some pictures. I will add....make it a car that you have to look back at 3 or 4 times after parking it in a parking lot, I just love walking away and looking back at my car sitting there
Old 06-13-2013, 05:58 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

You mean nobody else wears ONLY their Ford underwear with their Ford pants and Ford shirt and Ford socks and Ford sunglasses when they drive their Ford AND get gas from a Ford dealership???

WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE???

Man, just mod away and have fun.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:36 PM
Fader
1st Gear Member

You said it better than I could! That is exactly what I'm going for!!

I will happily post pics, every step of the way.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:31 AM
krazykevin
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fader
Roger that! Thanks fellas! There won't be any badges going on. In fact, I may pull the GT badges off. Right now, there's a world of possibilities! :-)
Do whatever makes you happy, It is your car!

I'm pretty sure that the GT emblems on the side have locating pins, so if you debadge you will have little holes in your finder where they were. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:35 AM
WildAzCat
2nd Gear Member

I think sonic blue and silver stripes would be a sweet look. I'd prefer sonic blue over my vista blue any day.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:00 AM
4LiterSonic
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lem-06
Actually it's tungsten grey. But thank you just the same. That was the plan removing as much chrome as I could and replace with black
I think it's funny how our cars look almost exactly the same, save for the color. Because I'm removing as much chrome as possible and replacing it with black too, lol.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:40 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Changing/adding parts will make it your own unique Mustang and will stand out from the stock Mustangs. As others have stated, as long as there's no fake badging all is good!

I have Cobra R wheels, Roush (look a like) 1/4 panel window louvers, Saleen faded stripes and my car is neither (obviously). I replaced the cobra center caps with "M" flames and have no badging.

Go for it!

Last edited by kevinmalec; 06-17-2013 at 10:45 AM.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:00 AM
jsimmonstx
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fader
If this is a dumb question, please feel free to throw rocks and tomatoes.....

With my 05 GT, there are a few aftermarket appearance modifications I'd like to make, but I question whether other Mustang owners will judge me as a fake. For example, I LOVE the GT500 rally stripes. Silver stripes on Sonic Blue. Cheap addition with a great effect. But, I'd be concerned that other owners would think it's a stupid addition, or that I'm trying to fake a GT500.

Also, I like the look of the Foose Gauge Cluster Cover. Also a fairly easy addition, but obviously, my car isn't a Foose Mustang.

Does this stuff matter at all, or am I just being silly? Honest opinions, please!

Thanks,
Tim
Don't be concerned. It's your name on the title, and your signature on the monthly payment checks - not theirs.

Personally, I think the GT500 front fascia looks a helluva lot better than the OEM GT one. You'll need a compatible hood as well. I doubt you'll be able to find a Shelby front clip for sale used, so Tousley Ford Parts is your next best option. Including an aftermarket hood, but not including paint, it'll run you about $2k.

IMHO, you can put whatever badging you want on it (for the same reasons I stated above - your money - your car). As long as you don't try to convince people you're actually talking to that it's not really what it might appear to be, in my eyes, you're good to go. I've always been quick to point out that my car is simply a tribute car.

The difference between mine and the "real thing" is I didn't buy it that way. I do as much of the work on it as I can (had to pay for a gear swap a couple of weeks ago, and paid to have the body kit and hood painted/installed), but everything else I did - headers, exhaust, suspension, stereo upgrade, (this coming weekend) brakes, and battery relocation. The following weekend, I'm replacing the front LCAs and installing a bump-steer kit.

When I get the money together, I plan on yanking the V6/auto and installing a 520+ HP 408 stroker push-rod motor with dual quads and a Tremec 6 speed. Am I insane? Well, yes. Yes I am.

Last edited by jsimmonstx; 06-17-2013 at 11:15 AM.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:16 PM
Fader
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jsimmonstx
Don't be concerned. It's your name on the title, and your signature on the monthly payment checks - not theirs.

Personally, I think the GT500 front fascia looks a helluva lot better than the OEM GT one. You'll need a compatible hood as well. I doubt you'll be able to find a Shelby front clip for sale used, so Tousley Ford Parts is your next best option. Including an aftermarket hood, but not including paint, it'll run you about $2k.

IMHO, you can put whatever badging you want on it (for the same reasons I stated above - your money - your car). As long as you don't try to convince people you're actually talking to that it's not really what it might appear to be, in my eyes, you're good to go. I've always been quick to point out that my car is simply a tribute car.

The difference between mine and the "real thing" is I didn't buy it that way. I do as much of the work on it as I can (had to pay for a gear swap a couple of weeks ago, and paid to have the body kit and hood painted/installed), but everything else I did - headers, exhaust, suspension, stereo upgrade, (this coming weekend) brakes, and battery relocation. The following weekend, I'm replacing the front LCAs and installing a bump-steer kit.

When I get the money together, I plan on yanking the V6/auto and installing a 520+ HP 408 stroker push-rod motor with dual quads and a Tremec 6 speed. Am I insane? Well, yes. Yes I am.
Thanks for the input. I want to make improvements, but I certainly don't want to pass my Pony off as anything it's not. But I agree, it's my car, and I'll do as I damn well please. :-) And she'll look like a million bucks!
Old 06-28-2013, 08:00 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by krazykevin
Do whatever makes you happy, It is your car!

I'm pretty sure that the GT emblems on the side have locating pins, so if you debadge you will have little holes in your finder where they were. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
you are correct. there will be holes in the fender.

you could pull the badges off, spray them flat black to make them more subdued....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aftermarket Authenticity