Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

When is it ok to put Saleen decals on car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 11:32 PM
mungodrums
1st Gear Member

Cool When is it ok to put Saleen decals on car?

I have a 2006 Mustang Gt that I am planning on ordering a basic Saleen suspension package for it. Car has no Saleen / aftermarket body kit on it at all, just stock body, wheels, etc. Is it "ok", appropriate to have some saleen decals on car? I know that it is not a from the factory Saleen car. Just wondering. I would think as long as you have something Saleen that a Saleen decal on front glass would be cool. Just wondering. I know there are people that have these decals on their Mustangs but have no Saleen equipment at all, is that a poseur? Ger.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:46 AM
E_cox310
2nd Gear Member

It's your car so do what you want to it, but what's the reasoning for putting a saleen decal on your car if I may ask?
Old 09-03-2013, 03:08 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

I feel that if you put on all, or the majority of the elements of some Saleen package it isn't the end of the world to put a Saleen decal on it! As long as doing so isn't trying to fool anyone into believing the work was done by Saleen. I suppose the issue hangs on how close to a Saleen package you car is.

Keep in mind that a lot of purists only value a car if all the Shelby, Saleen, Roush, etc. upgrades were put on prior to the car being sold by Ford. Some Ford dealerships have ordered Roush Mustangs from Roush directly and at the same time also have had a authorized Roush dealer do the conversion/upgrades.

I spent a lot of time restoring C1 Corvettes and without having a verified original bill of sale records it is impossible to tell the original H.P. of early Corvettes. From my point of view, at some point it gets silly if "only" paperwork separates the original from the clone, & the original is worth ten or twenty times more than the clone that is identical! It seems that misses the basic point of the beauty and performance of the car and it becomes much more about "noble bloodlines" being more important than the driving value of the car! I'm a car guy, not a wealthy antique collector!

..... and don't get me started about "patina"! Cracked paint, rust and split leather maybe "patina" to some purists .... but it's just cracked paint, rust and split leather to me! I'd rather have a restored car that looks like it did when new than one with "patina"! LOL!

Last edited by Mr. D; 09-03-2013 at 03:16 AM.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:00 AM
TommyB681
2nd Gear Member

there no problem with sporting the decals of modifications made to the car. As other people said dont try to pass it off as a full Saleen but its fine to have some pride in the mods you made
Old 09-03-2013, 06:36 AM
steel pony
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TommyB681
there no problem with sporting the decals of modifications made to the car. As other people said dont try to pass it off as a full Saleen but its fine to have some pride in the mods you made
100% agree...nothing wrong with dressing up the car as long as you don't bill it as something it's not.

I hear there's a new term on the streets for doing this..."TRIBUTE CAR"

Currently in the process of turning my 2012 GT into a Mach 1 style "tribute" and my 2013 GT Vert into a GT350 "tribute"
Old 09-22-2013, 03:09 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

The terms tribute car and clone are FAR from new.....

I'm a person who is a purist. I despise ppl badging cars as something they aren't.

I don't however think a small Saleen sticker would hurt. But huge lettering across the
front windshield kinda seems like trying to pass the car off as a Saleen.
That would be disrespectful to Saleen owners, and to your car as well in my opinion.
I believe in taking pride in what you have, and not trying to pass it off as something else because you aren't satisfied or think yours isn't good enough.

Of course it's your car be you have every right to make it look how u want.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:38 AM
WildAzCat
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
The terms tribute car and clone are FAR from new.....

I'm a person who is a purist. I despise ppl badging cars as something they aren't.

I don't however think a small Saleen sticker would hurt. But huge lettering across the
front windshield kinda seems like trying to pass the car off as a Saleen.
That would be disrespectful to Saleen owners, and to your car as well in my opinion.
I believe in taking pride in what you have, and not trying to pass it off as something else because you aren't satisfied or think yours isn't good enough.

Of course it's your car be you have every right to make it look how u want.
I doubt a little sticker on the windshield is going to confuse anyone if it's a real Saleen or not. Personally I sometimes think people who "tribute" another car disrespect the work they've done themselves. Most of the time you see these "tributes" done up better then Shelby, Saleen etc...

On most forums I read people saying it's ok to clone or tribute. However, I do a lot of shows and often over hear people saying "Nice work, but it's not a real _ _ _" I get that a lot as some have no idea what a Shelby GT is.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:53 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

To me, the name belongs on the car if that is what the car is.

Look at it from another perspective. V6 owner puts Cobra wheels on the car. Ok to put Cobra badges, too? I have Mustang wheels on my Explorer. Would it be ok to put a Mustang tri bar on the fender?

If you are getting just the suspension, maybe find a "Saleen Suspension" logo for a quarter window or something to denote what you have on it.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:00 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by WildAzCat
I doubt a little sticker on the windshield is going to confuse anyone if it's a real Saleen or not. Personally I sometimes think people who "tribute" another car disrespect the work they've done themselves. Most of the time you see these "tributes" done up better then Shelby, Saleen etc...

On most forums I read people saying it's ok to clone or tribute. However, I do a lot of shows and often over hear people saying "Nice work, but it's not a real _ _ _" I get that a lot as some have no idea what a Shelby GT is.
A sticker across the front of the windshield can easily fool a non enthusiast.
Without a DOUBT.
A small sticker as I said is fine. A banner sticker is NO different than badging in my opinion.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:03 PM
Murgatroy
2nd Gear Member

On the one side of the coin, how many folks put a set of Thrush muffs on their car then put the woodpecker on the side? A set of Infinity speakers and the decal in the window? Got an American Muscle decal in their back glass after a Bama Tune?

I don't see a few Roush decals as blasphemy if there are Roush parts on the car. I don't however think the car should be badged identical to a Roush.

I have been involved in the car scenes for thirty years. In domestics the terms 'Tribute' and 'Clone' are considered dirty words, I remember a time when 'Restomod' was just as bad. In the import world, there are a lot of cars that were never released in the NADM and 'Clones' and 'Tributes' are accepted and welcomed.

I think a lot of it has to do with what you were offered to work with originally.

I heard mention of the Purist ideal earlier. I understand that. There are a lot of folks that want original, the patina to show the life the car has led, the survivor, the mythical barn find, etc. I get that. Myself, after a few years on the show circuit, I prefer a driver.

I guess the easier way would be to say I am a Hot Rodder. I like to make them fun to drive and look at, the pedigree doesn't matter.

Stickers don't make something fun to drive or look at in my opinion.

Quick Reply: When is it ok to put Saleen decals on car?