Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Some Stripe Advice Please...

Old 09-06-2013, 01:29 PM
devereiii

Default Some Stripe Advice Please...

Hey all,

First time here/First time Pony owner...

I just picked up this 72k mile '06 Satin Silver Conv - Babied. Would like to get some Lemans stripes for it including fender hash stripes from AM... I'm a bit indecisive so here I am asking you fine folks your opinions....

Matte black (I think would look great, but would be a pain waxing around), Gloss black, or Blue (or something out of the box that maybe one of you guys could throw at me; including style of stripe - pics would be great too!).

From reading what I have here on these forums, I value your opinions...

As you can see the car is pretty much a clean slate (What did I get myself into?? LOL)

Thanks...
Attached Thumbnails Some Stripe Advice Please...-mustang-topless-1-1280x960-.jpg   Some Stripe Advice Please...-mustang-topless-1280x960-.jpg  
Old 09-07-2013, 09:08 AM
simplexdesign
4th Gear Member

Since you don't want to go through the hassle of tapping off the stripes every time you wax the car I would go with gloss black.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:34 AM
cema93
2nd Gear Member

I like gloss black too for the waxing issue. However, I have some matte vinyl stripes and it's really not that big of a deal. I don't tape them off. I use Megs ult wax and use that little waxing pad when I'm not using my buffer. To get in close to the stripe. Just have some darn patience. But if ur really not feeling the matte then I would would look into some dark blue 10 in stripes and hash marks. Just something different than the black. Everyone has black.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:40 AM
devereiii

Originally Posted by cema93
I like gloss black too for the waxing issue. However, I have some matte vinyl stripes and it's really not that big of a deal. I don't tape them off. I use Megs ult wax and use that little waxing pad when I'm not using my buffer. To get in close to the stripe. Just have some darn patience. But if ur really not feeling the matte then I would would look into some dark blue 10 in stripes and hash marks. Just something different than the black. Everyone has black.
Hey thanks... Kinda what I was thinking when I mentioned the blue stripes; would stand out well against the silver also, I think... Definitely like the hash marks!

I use the Megs Synthetic NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0, great stuff too...
Old 09-13-2013, 07:35 AM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

Matte black is awesome and changes the look of the car in a big way. But getting them straight is a pain, I need to redo my chin spoiler. Riciest mod I'll ever do.
Name:  Stang_zps112aff18.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  56.1 KB
Any of those choices you listed would look really good.
Waxing around matte black stripes isn't hard, it's in between the stripes that's the pain. BlackSmoke told me what to use to keep the stripes looking good, I'll look around to see if I can find that message. In my opinion, hash stripes are kind of wierd looking. The LeMans stripes were actually used in racing to position the car but what's the actual point of two stripes going from the hood to the front fenders? They don't fit the lines of the Mustang very well. IDK...
Old 09-21-2013, 12:26 PM
cema93
2nd Gear Member

if you do get matte black stripes or matte black anything, i would recommend Chemical Guys Meticulous Matte Detailer. This stuff is the bomb. cleans, maintains, and protects from UV. no oils or waxes in it so it wont take away the matte finish. smells good and WORKS. good price too. i use it about 1-2 times per week. i want my stripes to last.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:57 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Best protectant for matte black is 303 aerospace protectant.
Boat companies, truck, and RV companies all use this product to protect their vinyl stripes.
Protects matte black without damaging.
Only have to use a small amount so just one bottle 16oz will last you about 2 yrs.

You can only get it through their website, but it's worth it.

I've heard the chemical guys product is good but can't vouch for it myself.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:25 AM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

Congrats on the car! I think a darker gloss grey would look awesome. It's more subtle but still gives that sporty look. Of course you need to get a set of wheels to finish off the appearance.

Last edited by kzonts; 09-22-2013 at 05:27 AM.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:40 PM
White05GT
3rd Gear Member

Got matte black on my car for 5 years now and just wax up to the edges with Meguiars NXT wax. Then spray some vinyl dressing on a cloth and wipe the stripes down, still looking good.
Attached Thumbnails Some Stripe Advice Please...-picture-1105-small-.jpg  
Old 09-23-2013, 08:01 AM
devereiii

Originally Posted by kzonts
Congrats on the car! I think a darker gloss grey would look awesome. It's more subtle but still gives that sporty look. Of course you need to get a set of wheels to finish off the appearance.
That's something to think about too...! Thanks! ...Is there a source I can go to, to check these out? I don't believe AM has any other color stripes besides black, white, and blue. I saw the Super Snake style single stripe (with the side pins included), and I'm kinda diggin' that one too...

Thanks, all, for your input!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Some Stripe Advice Please...