Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Engine bay dress-up

Old 10-27-2013, 04:40 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fader
I've been tempted to get one, but am just not convinced there is a benefit, beyond the look. I certainly don't want to have to buy a tuner just because I bought a CAI.

Maybe eventually, when I make some other mods.
I was saying that mostly for the look in the engine bay, and you could paint the intake tube to match.
As far as the other benefits, I think most say you get about 25 HP with the tune and CAI, and the sound is a bit more raw, but yeah, 500-600 is a bit of change to throw down since you would need the tuner too... and it sounds like you're satisfied with the power level you've got.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:08 PM
Fader
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by danzcool
I was saying that mostly for the look in the engine bay, and you could paint the intake tube to match.
As far as the other benefits, I think most say you get about 25 HP with the tune and CAI, and the sound is a bit more raw, but yeah, 500-600 is a bit of change to throw down since you would need the tuner too... and it sounds like you're satisfied with the power level you've got.
Yeah, if I'm going to do power mods, I want big gains. Otherwise, i am pretty satisfied with the current power. I considered having an airbox made with the same dimensions and configuration as the stock box, only in aluminum. Then I'd have to do something with the stock hose. But, it'd be big money, either way.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:01 AM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

The UPR CAI & Tuner made a big improvement in power on my 3V, and gained fuel economy surprisingly enough.

Anyway, your engine bay is looking good!
Old 10-28-2013, 08:33 AM
night7519
1st Gear Member

Curious how you replaced the plastic rivets on the radiator cover with bolts. Are the holes for the rivets threaded or did you have to put nuts on the back to hold the bolts down? Really like this idea so curious how you made it happen.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:00 AM
Fader
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by night7519
Curious how you replaced the plastic rivets on the radiator cover with bolts. Are the holes for the rivets threaded or did you have to put nuts on the back to hold the bolts down? Really like this idea so curious how you made it happen.
I did drill out the existing holes to just shy of 9mm, then lightly tapped these nuts in with a ball-peen hammer. Then just thread the M6 bolts in with a 4mm allen wrench. Piece of cake, and not a difficult mod. My only suggestion would be to start smaller than the 9mm nuts, and either file, or step up in drill bits until you have the size you need to secure the nut. (Gawd, it was hard to write that without sounding dirty...)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190909878152...84.m1439.l2649

The nuts are secure enough to hold the radiator cover down without vibration, but they wouldn't hold up to too much force.But, overall, I think they're a nice touch, over those ugly plastic rivets.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:42 PM
Fader
1st Gear Member

Contrary to my previous idea about not buying a CAI, I found one for $85. It's a CHEAP model from eBay, but has a new K & N cone. Same diameter as the original air-tube, so no tune required. Since I already had a K & N filter in my stock air-box, I likely won't see any performance gains, but it does look better than that big box.

Not sure how I feel about the chrome, but that can be dealt with later. I do need to get a heat-shield for the cone, but that won't be too difficult.

Name:  20131101_191001_zps7adb3285.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  151.1 KB
Name:  20131101_190841_zpse1cf304a.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  131.0 KB
Old 11-02-2013, 08:10 AM
Nunja Business
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fader
Contrary to my previous idea about not buying a CAI, I found one for $85. It's a CHEAP model from eBay, but has a new K & N cone. Same diameter as the original air-tube, so no tune required. Since I already had a K & N filter in my stock air-box, I likely won't see any performance gains, but it does look better than that big box.

Not sure how I feel about the chrome, but that can be dealt with later. I do need to get a heat-shield for the cone, but that won't be too difficult.

Man, that thing is looking good! Blue is awesome and Vista Blue/Sonic Blue are even better. I am leaning in a similar direction myself, but my strut tower brace keeps me from doing the plenum cover I think. (damn!) I also can't dress up the strut tower nuts, but the brace REALLY looks great.

I found a spray paint (rattle can) in metal-flake blue that is so close to Vista it is surprising and painted my fuse box cover with it (need to get pics). I am seriously considering getting the two-piece battery and brake reservoir covers sold around here and painting them too.

You definitely need to get the heat shield in. Without one, you are actually hurting your performance because the intake is sucking HOT air. Also the side extensions for the radiator cover would really help out.

But dude, you REALLY need to get some hood struts. The prop rod is so cheesy, I still can't believe they did that to us! I got the NXT ones already painted in VB for about $100 and they work fantastically and look great.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:40 AM
Fader
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nunja Business
Man, that thing is looking good! Blue is awesome and Vista Blue/Sonic Blue are even better. I am leaning in a similar direction myself, but my strut tower brace keeps me from doing the plenum cover I think. (damn!) I also can't dress up the strut tower nuts, but the brace REALLY looks great.

I found a spray paint (rattle can) in metal-flake blue that is so close to Vista it is surprising and painted my fuse box cover with it (need to get pics). I am seriously considering getting the two-piece battery and brake reservoir covers sold around here and painting them too.

You definitely need to get the heat shield in. Without one, you are actually hurting your performance because the intake is sucking HOT air. Also the side extensions for the radiator cover would really help out.

But dude, you REALLY need to get some hood struts. The prop rod is so cheesy, I still can't believe they did that to us! I got the NXT ones already painted in VB for about $100 and they work fantastically and look great.
Thanks man! It's been a labor of love, for sure. And, I don't mind saying that I haven't paid retail prices for anything I've done. In fact, when I sat down to do a spreadsheet, I've spent about 40% of retail. THAT makes me happy!!

Hood Struts are at the top of the list, along with the coolant and washer caps, to complete my set. After that, it'll be exhaust, and some interior dress-up. Aside from really ramping up the motor, I'm running out of things to do without taking her from a good daily-driver to something less economical.

But, GAWD, is she ever fun!!
Old 11-09-2013, 12:02 PM
Lokota
2nd Gear Member

not being a dick but that cold air looks like *** on your car, man up and buy a non import looking one

looks like you stole it off a honda
Old 11-10-2013, 10:48 AM
Rocket Ray
2nd Gear Member

I believe a place called Midwest Auto Gear sells covers for the strut towers. They come in all colors with a black plastic piece in the middle that you can get "GT" on. Covers up the strut bolts and looks good.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine bay dress-up