Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Glow Pony Grille Mod

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 11:04 PM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

If they were between 75-100 dollars I think you would find more than enough buyers. I can't predict the future and I'm not a marketing strategist or anything, but I know that at least I have looked into this mod and have never found anyone who's actually done it.

The fact that you could pull it off that cleanly is impressive enough, I think that if you built a few for people and gave them the chance to show them off and spread the word you could have enough people who'd want to buy them that it would be worth your time to make them.

EDIT: I think the only thing that might turn people off would be the install.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:45 AM
Invective

Default Install

Originally Posted by whosniffedme
If they were between 75-100 dollars I think you would find more than enough buyers. I can't predict the future and I'm not a marketing strategist or anything, but I know that at least I have looked into this mod and have never found anyone who's actually done it.

The fact that you could pull it off that cleanly is impressive enough, I think that if you built a few for people and gave them the chance to show them off and spread the word you could have enough people who'd want to buy them that it would be worth your time to make them.

EDIT: I think the only thing that might turn people off would be the install.
The two I bought years ago were quite easy to install and wiring them into the car's electrics was quite simple using scotchlocks and a bit of ignition grease and black tape to protect the connections from corrosion. I wired both of mine into the driver's side parking light circuit as per the instructions.

The first unit came with an 'inverter' (about the size of a matchbox) that only lasted a few months before failing from? The vendor was kind enough to send me free replacements until the 'horse' self destructed from delamination. The first unit glowed 'blue' (plastic film that glowed when energized).

No problems at all with the second, LED lit unit (white). It was an effective selling point to the new owner also.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:51 AM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Invective
The two I bought years ago were quite easy to install and wiring them into the car's electrics was quite simple using scotchlocks and a bit of ignition grease and black tape to protect the connections from corrosion. I wired both of mine into the driver's side parking light circuit as per the instructions.

The first unit came with an 'inverter' (about the size of a matchbox) that only lasted a few months before failing from? The vendor was kind enough to send me free replacements until the 'horse' self destructed from delamination. The first unit glowed 'blue' (plastic film that glowed when energized).

No problems at all with the second, LED lit unit (white). It was an effective selling point to the new owner also.
Got any pics? I've only seen this done on older Mustangs never an S197
Old 11-21-2013, 09:37 AM
astentine
2nd Gear Member

I would totally buy into this. I've got a project car in mind that some red LEDs would be perfect for!
Old 11-21-2013, 10:51 AM
isawitdie86

Heres Mine

Old 11-22-2013, 05:00 AM
Invective

Default Illuminated Grille Horse

Originally Posted by whosniffedme
Got any pics? I've only seen this done on older Mustangs never an S197
SN95 (1998)

I don't see an option to direct upload the image from my computer.

Last edited by Invective; 11-22-2013 at 05:03 AM.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:44 PM
akdoggie
2nd Gear Member

Looks nice, but the blue lights are a definite no-no in Alaska, unless you are a volunteer Fireman. Like the white color though.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:56 AM
chrisdbassplayer
2nd Gear Member

very cool
Old 11-24-2013, 10:34 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Invective
SN95 (1998)

I don't see an option to direct upload the image from my computer.
Use Photobucket to upload your photo there....it's free. Then copy the IMG link and paste it to your post here.
Old 11-24-2013, 02:29 PM
BrianMac

Originally Posted by Ford-a-tude
All right guys, I'm just feeling this out at this point. I went through the same thing with my gauge face. LOTS of initial interest so I bought the material needed. Suddenly all those guys that had to have one never followed through. It's my fault but that's okay because I didn't do it for the money. "If" I were to provide you with everything except the chrome pony, fully wired, LEDs installed, etc. to do this, who would actually purchase one? Let's say somewhere between 75-100 Dollars. Again, just asking the question. I'm not a vendor or anything and I don't wish to violate any forum policies. Hell, I don't even know them.
I'm in!

Quick Reply: Glow Pony Grille Mod