Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Looking to start my performance mods. What first?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 02:06 PM
todrick
2nd Gear Member

Default Looking to start my performance mods. What first?

Looking to start my performance build. Already looking into the Airaid Race CAI with touchscreen Bama tuner combo off AM, Ford Racing High Performance Intake, probably a matching Ford Racing TB, headers at some point, and exhaust. What would be the most practical to go with first? Exhaust seems likely because it would be freeing up the restrictiveness in the coming out part. Nothing more going in would benefit if it can't get out easier. Thoughts?
Old 02-17-2014, 02:40 PM
todrick
2nd Gear Member

Oops, can a mod please move this to the appropriate section. Not sure why I posted in appearance.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:18 AM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by todrick
Looking to start my performance build. Already looking into the Airaid Race CAI with touchscreen Bama tuner combo off AM, Ford Racing High Performance Intake, probably a matching Ford Racing TB, headers at some point, and exhaust. What would be the most practical to go with first? Exhaust seems likely because it would be freeing up the restrictiveness in the coming out part. Nothing more going in would benefit if it can't get out easier. Thoughts?
Very cool! It sounds like you have your head in the right spot. I like the direction that you're headed for sure! When just starting a build I always recommend going with the basic and most beneficial mods. I would start with a CAI, Tune and set of Gears. These are the three best mods you can do for your S197 Mustang! You'll notice huge gains in power, torque, acceleration, drive ability, gas mileage, throttle response and shift points if you're auto.

Exhaust and Suspension would be my next focus. You'll free up some air with the exhaust, pick up some power and your Mustang will sound great! Suspension is one of the most overlooked departments on your car. You can add all of the power in the world but you won't be able to put it to the ground with out some Suspension mods. I would recommend going with a set of Lowering Springs, Upper/Lower Control arms and maybe even some Sway bars!

I hope this helps. Remember, this is just a few recommendations!

Let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance in the near future!

-Dan
Old 02-18-2014, 10:55 AM
todrick
2nd Gear Member

Thanks Dan! I wasn't sure if getting more air coming in but still dealing with stock exhaust would be beneficial at first or not. Really liking the CAI/Tuner combo and that is the first thing I am looking at going with now that I read your post. Thanks again!
Old 02-19-2014, 09:15 AM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by todrick
Thanks Dan! I wasn't sure if getting more air coming in but still dealing with stock exhaust would be beneficial at first or not. Really liking the CAI/Tuner combo and that is the first thing I am looking at going with now that I read your post. Thanks again!
You're welcome! Opening up the exhaust is very beneficial and definitely one of the most important mods. But the CAI and Tune is definitely going to show the largest gains.

Let me know if you have any questions or need some further assistance. I'm only a PM away and would be glad to help!

-Dan
Old 02-19-2014, 08:22 PM
todrick
2nd Gear Member

I sure will! Will be definitely getting the CAI/tuner combo as my first performance choice and then work my way back thru the TB and manifold. Plus it will also give a little more underhood appearance appeal as well over the stock counterparts.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:18 AM
VistaBlueGT/CS
1st Gear Member

todrick - your post is the first I've heard of a touchscreen tuner; just curious, are you considering it for the "neat" factor or does it offer other benefits?

I plan to get a cai and tuner soon myself...although I'm having trouble making the selection.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:24 AM
todrick
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by VistaBlueGT/CS
todrick - your post is the first I've heard of a touchscreen tuner; just curious, are you considering it for the "neat" factor or does it offer other benefits?

I plan to get a cai and tuner soon myself...although I'm having trouble making the selection.
A little of all the above actually. The tuner is not only more user friendly, but it has on screen info for use while driving. I have already spoken to a rep from AM when trying to decide which one I wanted to go with, I feel really good about the decision I am heading towards. I will definitely keep you posted once I receive it and get it installed.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:07 AM
VistaBlueGT/CS
1st Gear Member

Sounds good - I may consider the touchscreen option myself now...thanks for the info!!
Old 02-24-2014, 08:08 AM
todrick
2nd Gear Member

Link to the actual tuner itself...

http://http://www.americanmuscle.com...re-0510gt.html

Quick Reply: Looking to start my performance mods. What first?