Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Raxiom Retro Style Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 10:49 PM
jlogan666

Default Raxiom Retro Style Headlights

So I am thinking about purchasing these headlights pre-painted vista blue and I was wondering how much light these bad boys actually put out? I recently bought the Raxiom Smoked CCFLs and I was VERY disappointed that I could not see a damn thing at night... I replaced my bulbs with silver star ultra lights and still I could not see anything. So I am hoping I can get advice this time before I purchase.. ty
Old 02-19-2014, 07:23 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jlogan666
So I am thinking about purchasing these headlights pre-painted vista blue and I was wondering how much light these bad boys actually put out? I recently bought the Raxiom Smoked CCFLs and I was VERY disappointed that I could not see a damn thing at night... I replaced my bulbs with silver star ultra lights and still I could not see anything. So I am hoping I can get advice this time before I purchase.. ty
Well those are similar if not the same as the stock head lights so I would assume that is what you should expect.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:31 AM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by jlogan666
The light output on the Retro Style Headlights is perfect. You won't have any issues seeing them them. You should have the exact same light output as stock, if not a little better (upgraded bulbs).

The light output on the Smoked headlights isn't that great because of the tinted film. If you don't have HID's the Smoked headlights don't kick out much light.

I hope this helps! Let me CS know what you'd like to do and we'll make sure you're taken care of.

-Dan
Old 02-20-2014, 05:18 PM
jlogan666

Hey Dan, I ended up buying the retro headlights from Raxiom.. But I was wondering if I can return the Bulbs I just bought last week because they didn't help on my current headlights?..
Old 02-20-2014, 07:01 PM
Ford-a-tude
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AMDanBailer
The light output on the Retro Style Headlights is perfect. You won't have any issues seeing them them. You should have the exact same light output as stock, if not a little better (upgraded bulbs).

The light output on the Smoked headlights isn't that great because of the tinted film. If you don't have HID's the Smoked headlights don't kick out much light.

I hope this helps! Let me CS know what you'd like to do and we'll make sure you're taken care of.

-Dan
The light output is FAR from "Perfect". Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my retro headlights, when they are off. The beam pattern is horrible compared to an OEM unit. I realize they are a reflector design for halogen bulbs so they lack that sharp cutoff like HIDs, but there is light scattered in all directions. This is clearly visible in my driveway with the lights aimed at the garage door. There are stray beams of light shining up where oncoming drivers eyes are.

If my claims are way off base then perhaps i received a defective set of housings. Are there any pictures online showing the beam pattern of these units?
Old 02-21-2014, 06:48 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ford-a-tude
The light output is FAR from "Perfect". Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my retro headlights, when they are off. The beam pattern is horrible compared to an OEM unit. I realize they are a reflector design for halogen bulbs so they lack that sharp cutoff like HIDs, but there is light scattered in all directions. This is clearly visible in my driveway with the lights aimed at the garage door. There are stray beams of light shining up where oncoming drivers eyes are.

If my claims are way off base then perhaps i received a defective set of housings. Are there any pictures online showing the beam pattern of these units?
Are they not adjustable? Also they are made in China so don't expect too much!
Old 02-24-2014, 11:58 AM
Ford-a-tude
2nd Gear Member

Yes they are adjustable just like OEM units. I have them aimed down lower than I'd like due to the stray beams of light shining upwards.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:35 PM
RedFire281
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ford-a-tude
.....I have them aimed down lower than I'd like due to the stray beams of light shining upwards.
+1. Mine are also lowered more than I like but the random scatter is outrageous. But in the daytime they're purty.