Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Body-Modding Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 12:15 PM
l00kitzzlilcj
2nd Gear Member

Default Body-Modding Suggestions

My 2006 Gt is like-new looking except for the front bumper. I have paint chipping off at the very tip of it (about as long as my thumb), a scrape on the bottom left because of a nasty pot hole, and ripples underneath where the drivers fog light sits. It was repainted by the previous owner before I purchased it 2 years ago because it had many rock chips from frequent highway traveling, but it looks like the job was done like crap.

Now im looking to repair it. I dont have a problem repainting it at a body shop, but at the same time I would like to change the stock-ish exterior look it has, so ive been searching for a mild body kit- just bumpers and side skirts really. I dont want to look riceish, just different from stock and more aggressive. Anyone have ideas, brands, websites or anything helpful?
Old 06-03-2014, 01:13 PM
E_cox310
2nd Gear Member

Everybody's taste is different, but I prefer simple additions to the body to keep it looking clean and not excessive. I changed my rear bumper to the GT500 or GT/CS one, and the front I just added a chin spoiler. I painted the outsides of these bumpers black and left the middle textured to go with the theme of my car. If you can swing it, purchase the GT/CS front bumper. These additions will improve the look of your car tremendously, but again, it won't take away from the overall look of the S197
Old 06-03-2014, 01:44 PM
AMAlexLazarus
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by l00kitzzlilcj
My 2006 Gt is like-new looking except for the front bumper. I have paint chipping off at the very tip of it (about as long as my thumb), a scrape on the bottom left because of a nasty pot hole, and ripples underneath where the drivers fog light sits. It was repainted by the previous owner before I purchased it 2 years ago because it had many rock chips from frequent highway traveling, but it looks like the job was done like crap.

Now im looking to repair it. I dont have a problem repainting it at a body shop, but at the same time I would like to change the stock-ish exterior look it has, so ive been searching for a mild body kit- just bumpers and side skirts really. I dont want to look riceish, just different from stock and more aggressive. Anyone have ideas, brands, websites or anything helpful?
That's a good one and just like E_cox310 had said-"Everybody's taste is going to be different" In my own opinion having been in and out of body shops with other builds in the past I would shoot for a Pre-Painted Chin Spoiler and take all of the guess work right out of the equation. AmericanMuscle's Pre-Painted Parts are prepped, painted, and packaged on site. Another convenient variable is that we're based out of PA and we would have this to you by the weekend. I have this on my Bullitt and it's really nice considering that I haven't seen it on another car (I'm probably not looking close enough) This would really Pop on the front of your GT:

After that you could bring it together with a set of Pre-Painted Mirror Covers just to put a finishing touch on things as Ford really dropped the ball on not having them painted from the factory.

Again-Just like E_cox310 had said we're all going to have different tastes! I hope this helps.

-Alex
Old 06-03-2014, 06:53 PM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

I personally am going to (eventually, slow process for me) get a new hood (Cobra R), GT/CS Rear Cover, GT500 Spoiler [ I like Roush but I don't like the pieces you have to stick to the side] and the Cervini's GT500 style chin spoiler... I really like the look of it, subtle, but musclecar.

http://www.cervinis.com/05-09mustang...n-spoiler.html
Old 06-03-2014, 06:56 PM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

Just wish AM sold pre-painted hoods
Old 06-04-2014, 11:53 AM
AMAlexLazarus
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by dlazrael
Just wish AM sold pre-painted hoods
Dlazrael,

You and me both! With the size of our paint facility and the demand for Pre-Painted Parts for our customers it's something that we wish we could get into. Hopefully in the future!

-Alex
Old 06-04-2014, 12:03 PM
azdevil1
1st Gear Member

I typically stay away from American Muscle - too many complaints to list.

Loving CJponyParts.com and LateModelRestoration.com - you can find better selection and prices at those two sites
Old 06-10-2014, 07:31 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

^?? I've had nothing but good experience with them since 2006.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:58 PM
azdevil1
1st Gear Member

Some have had good experiences with AmericanMuscle.com - many others not so much. To each his own I guess, but the service was crap and the quality of parts I ordered were just garbage.

I started noticing that other sites - JEGS.com, LateModelRestoration.com, CJponyparts.com, Stage3 etc. have in many cases much better prices on parts; which is great.

But the difference in Customer Service, shipping, follow through and overall satisfaction is night and day when you don't order from AM - I'd only suggest ordering from somewhere else just once to see the difference yourself.

I once thought AM was the best too at one point - but I quickly realized they **** on their customers (not always but def. on me) and the cold reality is - the senseless parading of AM users here on the FORUM and the spam they spread with every post was the only reason I didn't notice the other guys.

In the end, they are a volume based business. They don't need to satisfy every customer, just the majority. I've found ordering from the smaller volume based businesses has been the key to being happy because they have more time to focus on your order, needs and even the prices are better.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:18 PM
ThaiCobra
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by azdevil1
Some have had good experiences with AmericanMuscle.com - many others not so much. To each his own I guess, but the service was crap and the quality of parts I ordered were just garbage.

I started noticing that other sites - JEGS.com, LateModelRestoration.com, CJponyparts.com, Stage3 etc. have in many cases much better prices on parts; which is great.

But the difference in Customer Service, shipping, follow through and overall satisfaction is night and day when you don't order from AM - I'd only suggest ordering from somewhere else just once to see the difference yourself.

I once thought AM was the best too at one point - but I quickly realized they **** on their customers (not always but def. on me) and the cold reality is - the senseless parading of AM users here on the FORUM and the spam they spread with every post was the only reason I didn't notice the other guys.

In the end, they are a volume based business. They don't need to satisfy every customer, just the majority. I've found ordering from the smaller volume based businesses has been the key to being happy because they have more time to focus on your order, needs and even the prices are better.
yeah I had a bad experience with them too. Not trying to hate, but I have to keep it real.

They stuff is expensive, and often cheaply made.

They sold me a tune online that did not work with my car. When I called for a refund, they responded with, "we don't give refunds, if the tune doesn't work that is your problem". After fighting with them, they refunded my money.

Not a fan. This was 3 years ago. Hopefully they have improved their business since then.

Quick Reply: Body-Modding Suggestions