Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

LED replacement of stock instrument panel bulbs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 06:56 PM
BinaryFu

Question LED replacement of stock instrument panel bulbs?

I have a stock V6 Mustang w/o MyColor and I was thinking of swapping out the stock bulbs with either white or blue LED bulbs (194, I believe?).

Are there any howto guides for doing this? Every guide I've found for *anything* with the dash has been either "This is how you take off the instrument panel" (Always good to know) or "Let's skip seeing all the stuff BinaryFu wants to see and get right into the circuit board!!!" *sigh*

So, I'm presuming it is completely doable, I have a lovely set of bulbs waiting to be used, I would just like to be able to look over a howto while recovering from the flu before I go out there and do it.

Cheers,
BinaryFu
Old 11-14-2014, 07:16 PM
ThaiCobra
3rd Gear Member

I have always wanted to do this in my stang. I want to redo everything that is green and make it red. Including the stereo panel, and the info panel in the gauge cluster.

There is a thread somewhere on one of the other mustang forums where a guy did it. From what I remember taking everything apart was the hard part. Also you have to solder the new LED's in, they don't just snap on. Then everything needs to carefully be put back together.

I'll look for the thread and if I find it, I'll post the link. Good luck. Keep us updated.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:09 AM
BinaryFu

Originally Posted by ThaiCobra
There is a thread somewhere on one of the other mustang forums where a guy did it. From what I remember taking everything apart was the hard part. Also you have to solder the new LED's in, they don't just snap on. Then everything needs to carefully be put back together.

I'll look for the thread and if I find it, I'll post the link. Good luck. Keep us updated.
If you can find the howto for that, or how to set up footwell lighting to work off the map lights, that would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to figure out the best way for routing the wiring and mount points, as well as doing the gauges. :-)
Old 11-25-2014, 04:06 PM
ABQstang89
3rd Gear Member

Im pretty sure that you can put the LEDs on backwards when soldering them on so be careful. As for the map lights that is simply a bulb replacement. For the footwells just find some led bars or neon bars you like with a cigarette lighter attachment. Cut and splice into an add a fuse and place in passenger foot well fuse box.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:19 AM
BinaryFu

You may have misunderstood, I'm looking to link the foot well lighting to the map lights so they come on the same times the map lights would, including when they are manually turned on.

It's alright, I'm pretty sure I know what needs to be done, I would have just liked a walk through to verify my theories.

As for the dash lights, they sound like they're soldered, which isn't a bad thing, just horribly time consuming to make it happen (polarity has to be verified for each before soldering can occur).

I'll try to create a how to when I get around to doing these projects, so others will have something to go by.
Old 11-26-2014, 03:06 PM
ABQstang89
3rd Gear Member

I see what you mean now. Just from looking at the manual real quick the light green and yellow wire running to map lights is the control wire for them.