Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger Seat Height

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 01:21 AM
Allan

Default Passenger Seat Height

Don't know if this has been discussed at any prior posting but...... Is anyone aware of a legal and safe way to slightly raise the height position of the front passenger's seat? Both my wife and I are short which is not a problem for me driving, I can just raise the seat But, it makes it slightly uncomfortable for her sitting so low when riding with me.
Thanks!
Old 06-09-2007, 03:18 AM
probinator
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Passenger Seat Height

put a phone book under her. lol.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:14 AM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Great question! I've been thinking about this since I got mine in '05. It's very low indeed. Loking at the way it's mounted you'd have to get some metal extension pieces welded to the frame to eaise it up a couple of inches. If you did this the plastic seat rail covers would not fit on it, or, if they did, they would be raised up off the floor too. I'll take another look today and try to come up with another option.
Old 06-09-2007, 07:18 PM
Allan

Thank you for your thoughts and time. Would love to come up with a practical solution to this.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:23 PM
FlaPony
3rd Gear Member

I've also been the victim of disapproval because the seat sits too low. I was thinking of getting spacers and installing them between the floor pan and the mounting point of the seat. Of cource this wold require longer bolts. Since I don't ever sit in the passenger seat it's not been a high priority for me to investigate. I guess I'm just selfish that way.
Old 06-09-2007, 09:03 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

This is why Ford decided it had to offer a power passenger seat. Part of the Comfort Package available starting with the 2007's.
Try your Ford dealer to see if there is a way to get the new power seat frame installed on your old seat.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:35 PM
Ace Guy

My solution was to get a bunch of 3/8 by 1 1/2" fender washers and some lock washers (not the cut type, the star type). I got it all at Home Depot for 18cents ea for the fenders and 99cents for a bag of the lock washers. I removed Passenger seat tracks from floor and took out the seat (13mm front, 15mm rear)need a socket wrench for this.There are 2 electric plugs thathave to be disconnected/reconnected.Then I disconnected the seat from the track (15mm) need an open end or box. Nuts are the kind that don't come off easy as they have the built in lock thingy on top. I added the fender washers as spacers between the seat and track. I was able to fitt 7 washers on the front and 6 on the rear of the seat leaving enough room to still connect to the nut with a lock washer added next to the nut as the nut no longer goes down the bolt far enough to lock itself. This raised the front 1/2 inch and the rear 7/16 inch. My short wife was happy with the increase as she can now see over the top of the dash. I also raised the front of the drivers seat the same way because I always have the front of it raised to the max. I stuck a little extra padding (rolled up dish towel) under the foam in the front of the seat for more thigh support as I am long of leg. Was able to do the driver's while it was still in the car because the front nuts are easier to get to. For less than $10, I am happy.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:42 PM
Allan

Thank you Ace Guy, I will look into this option and give it a try. Does the seat still slide as designed on the track to allow movement for rear seat passenger comfort?
Old 06-19-2007, 12:09 AM
Aziraphale
4th Gear Member

Booster seat

Seriously though, look into the dealer's power seat. I have it in mine, problem solved.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:43 AM
Allan

Thank you I will. I plan on stopping into the dealer this week on another matter. I will check into it.

BTW, Nice Ride

Quick Reply: Passenger Seat Height