Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Having strange Intermittent electronic/electrical problems?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 07:28 PM
digitalcos
3rd Gear Member

Default Having strange Intermittent electronic/electrical problems?

You might want to check for leaks around your dash.

I found a few threads concerning this. The problem is that the subject lines to the threads are about the leaks, not necessarily about the symptoms, so you may not find answers right away.

I've been having all kinds of strange electronic issues over the past few months. Things like the cruise control randomly deciding not to work, or shut off whenever it felt like it, or, as I figured out during my frequent 300 mile commute, to shut off when I turned the heater off. Weeks later there was the sudden and dramatic lose of power which was rectified upon restart. The latest was the ABS and TCS didn't work for a few days. Yep, I sure had a bunch of weirdness going on.

Just dropped it off at a dealership and it turns out the cowl was leaking water down between the firewall and the dash. Water would make it's way into the electronics and screw with stuff, then when the water dried the problem would magically disappear.

Now, there's a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin, I didn't know what it stood for until today) concerning the issue.

The reason I wanted to post this is because, even though there are other posts concerning the leak, you may not be looking for those unless you're one of the people who found the leak because of your wet rug or mildew smell. If, like in my case, the water isn't actually pooling under your feet, you're probably not going to suspect you have this problem.

Luckily, my car's still under warranty. The dealership says they'll probably have it for a week and a half or so. They've got to tear everything out and replace it. In the meantime I'm driving a loaner. I'll let you guys know how things turn out.

Last edited by digitalcos; 02-24-2009 at 11:17 PM. Reason: updated TSB link
Old 02-24-2009, 03:23 PM
Vulcan420
1st Gear Member

I have a 2007 with the same leak issue. I took it into the dealer for warranty repair, told them it is soaking wet under the carpet and mentioned knowing of the TSB.

They said they do not go by TSBs when they do repairs.

Even though the floor is soaking wet they said they found no sign of wetness or any related problems.

They said even if there was a TSB it does not apply to my vehicle unless it comes up when they enter my VIN # into the system - which of course it doesn't.

Too bad having a bumper to bumper warranty doesnt mean they honor it.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:56 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

This is old news and common knowledge. There are dozens upon dozens of threads on this.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:57 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Vulcan420
I have a 2007 with the same leak issue. I took it into the dealer for warranty repair, told them it is soaking wet under the carpet and mentioned knowing of the TSB.

They said they do not go by TSBs when they do repairs.

Even though the floor is soaking wet they said they found no sign of wetness or any related problems.

They said even if there was a TSB it does not apply to my vehicle unless it comes up when they enter my VIN # into the system - which of course it doesn't.

Too bad having a bumper to bumper warranty doesnt mean they honor it.
Find another dealer that's not a f**king stupid mother f**king azzhole. Be sure to tell him that's why you won't go there anymore.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:13 PM
digitalcos
3rd Gear Member

See this paragraph for why I posted-

"even though there are other posts concerning the leak, you may not be looking for those unless you're one of the people who found the leak because of your wet rug or mildew smell. If, like in my case, the water isn't actually pooling under your feet, you're probably not going to suspect you have this problem."

Another aspect of this issue is that Ford may not be aware of just how prevalent the problem actually might be, because of how many Mustang owners store their cars for the winter, park in garages, or live in a drier part of the country.

I just think the more Mustang owners that are aware of the issue, and look into it, the better. If that means re-posting about something you know about already, so be it.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:59 PM
killdar
2nd Gear Member

Ive had some problems w/ my stereo cutting out when its really rainy out
Old 02-24-2009, 11:16 PM
digitalcos
3rd Gear Member

Not a good sign, killdar. This seems to be the main thread about the problem.