Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rust around end of hood

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 07:17 PM
Frederick the Great
1st Gear Member

Default rust around end of hood

My paint is starting to bubble a bit around the edges of the front of my hood [:@]. I have to get a chip fixed up there and am going to have to repaint the hood to get it to match. My problem is I like the stock hood a lot and dont want to put an aftermarket hood on. Is anyone else's hood starting to rust? My car has been a DD until last month but now I have stored and it doesn't come out in poor weather. If I get the rust sanded out and taken off does anyone think it will come back anytime soon stored in a garage?
Old 08-19-2007, 07:23 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: rust around end of hood

Our hoods are aluminum.. so they do not "rust" in the traditional sense of the word. Take it to the dealer.. it should be under warrantee.. it's most likely a problem from the factory.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:36 PM
legend gt
1st Gear Member

I just had mine fixed at the dealer for the very same problem. It's not rust,it's corrosion of the aluminum.The reason it bubbles is it must have been contaminated before it was painted.Ford has had a bunch of problems with this.Some dealers are replacing hoods altogether because of this.Check with a GOOD dealer that has quality body people.They have a procedure to fix this.Ford knowsabout this problem.Don't let them B.S. you on it.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:41 PM
timothyrw
3rd Gear Member

someone else posted recently that they had the same problem.

this is a problem ford has had for a long time and it's astonishing they haven't eradicatedthis yet.

i had the same problem with a 2003 explorer i had (also aluminum hood). it was fixed under warranty.

Old 08-19-2007, 07:49 PM
Thurman
5th Gear Member

Don't let them jerk you around. It should be under warranty.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:04 PM
sleeper2
3rd Gear Member

When my Mustang starts rusting I'm going to get some Highland Green paint! Seriously, though the aluminum hood is the dealer's responsibility, unless you have a non-dealer body shop you like better.

Sleeper2
Old 08-19-2007, 09:21 PM
Frederick the Great
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the info. I actually bought my Mustang used at a Chevy dealer so I think the dealer might give me the run around on this. I hope not but if I can find out what dealership the car originally came from that may help. One way or another I want it fixed.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:37 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Any Ford dealer should fix it. It's not a dealership problem.. it's a Ford problem.
ORIGINAL: Frederick the Great

Thanks for the info. I actually bought my Mustang used at a Chevy dealer so I think the dealer might give me the run around on this. I hope not but if I can find out what dealership the car originally came from that may help. One way or another I want it fixed.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:15 AM
Frederick the Great
1st Gear Member

Cool, I will go talk to one.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:01 AM
krahez

I started a post about this about a weak ago. I just got back from the dealer, there is a TSB on it. I also bought mine used and they said it is covered under warranty. The local dealer didn't have a body shop, so I am taking it to one that does. I've heard electrolosis is the cause not what Ford claims as corrosion prior to factory paint. They used to put grounding straps from the hood to the firewall and it seemed to work. The local dealership said they will repaint it, I don't want to worry about this again in 2 years, but with no warranty to take care of the problem. Check the underside of the hood along the pinch welds, That's were mine started, now it is appearing on the outside. Good luck, let me know what your dealer does.

Quick Reply: rust around end of hood