Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stupid metal rattling noise at 3k rpm! EDIT: SOLUTION FOUND 9/7/07

Old 08-27-2007, 03:32 PM
imyy4u
3rd Gear Member

Default stupid metal rattling noise at 3k rpm! EDIT: SOLUTION FOUND 9/7/07

OK, so I've ranted about this before, but I still have this issue. When the engine is cold, as in has been sitting for 8 hours + cold, and I start it up, and then accelerate in 1st gear up to 3k rpm, I hear a really loud metallic rattling that goes away by 3300 rpms. As the engine warms up the rattle gets less and less, until I don't hear it anymore or it's just so brief/muffled it is neglible. WTF could this be? Took it to the dealer and they found no problems.

I just made another appt. for September 5th at Joe Madden Ford in Naperville IL, so hopefully they can find the problem. Has anyone else had a similar issue, and if so, what was it? Any/all advice welcome...I would LOVE to know what this is. BTW, checked the exhaust from engine to tailpipe, and it's tight as can be.

EDIT: solution found, look at my post below.
https://mustangforums.com/fb.asp?m=3829061
Old 08-27-2007, 03:39 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Default RE: stupid metal rattling noise at 3k rpm!

I have a thin metallic rattle coming from the front underbody of the car. Noticable around 2500 RPMs (Found this out when driving down I-95 for 16 hours.) But it doesn't matter the weather conditions, or whether it's warm or not. Just happens any time while driving and it drives me insane.. Dealer couldn't find anything wrong either, so no ideas..
Old 08-27-2007, 03:43 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I had a metallic rattle at about 1000 RPM. Turned out to be one of the metal clamps on my axle back mufflers. It's POSSIBLE that you have something similar and that it goes awayas itheats up due to the pipes expanding. Just a guess...

Rick
[sm=smiley34.gif]
Old 08-27-2007, 03:48 PM
imyy4u
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Menace

I have a thin metallic rattle coming from the front underbody of the car. Noticable around 2500 RPMs (Found this out when driving down I-95 for 16 hours.) But it doesn't matter the weather conditions, or whether it's warm or not. Just happens any time while driving and it drives me insane.. Dealer couldn't find anything wrong either, so no ideas..
sounds similar to mine...but i notice when the ENGINE warms up, it gets quieter, or maybe i just don't notice it as much...hmm. and mine is right at 3000 rpm...maybe 2800 or so. it is a thin metalli rattle from the front underbody (i think). drives me insane....ill keep you updated if you keep me updated.

anyone else have any advice?
Old 08-27-2007, 03:48 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Just be careful you're not talking about motor pinging, or as we call it, the death rattle.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:53 PM
A_J
2nd Gear Member

Sounds like exhaust to me - I've had on another car where a heat shield was just enough in contact with the exhaust to rattle when cold and go away when warm.. took shaking the exhaust when cold and having someone underneath to narrow down the area, and then looking for a little tiny rub mark on the heatshield.. good news is that I just had to tweak it 1/4" and it went away. So I'd say to look for areas of possible contact on the exhaust..
Old 08-27-2007, 03:54 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Nope cause i still have mine to...i doubt 3+ people have pinging at those low RPMs only at 3kish. With the o/r pipe i dont notice it unless i gradually take it up to 3k
Old 08-27-2007, 04:09 PM
redfireshaker06
4th Gear Member

My problem was the mid pipes hangers hitting the place they hang in
Old 08-27-2007, 05:26 PM
Fizzie06
3rd Gear Member

Had this problem with mine and it happened to be in my IMCO mufflers one of the ( Baffels sp?) pieces of metal broke off I got it replaced w/flomasters no problems since then .
Old 08-27-2007, 10:15 PM
mikeei

Happens on my 05', had it to the dealer several times already, Ijustbought the car 3 months ago. Its not the heat shields and they have replaced the cats (warranty is a wonderful thing), I'll keep you posted, its going backin tomorrow. I'm pretty sure its not there once the car is warmed up. The bummer is I'm waiting on my upgrades till I get this sorted out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: stupid metal rattling noise at 3k rpm! EDIT: SOLUTION FOUND 9/7/07