Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vortech S/C installed, dyno and first impressions

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 10:40 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Default Vortech S/C installed, dyno and first impressions

I just got my car back this evening from having the Brenspeed Vortech supercharger package installed. This is the non-intercooled V3 kit selling for $3799. The install was done by Lone Star Performance in Garland, TX. Other than a set of Flowmaster mufflers, shes bone stock with 3.31 gears (5-speed manual).

On a 91 octane Brenspeed tune, in about 65 degree weather on a Dynojet, the car put down 397 rwhp and 362 rwtq.

Here are my impressions. It was a bit drizzly outside so I didn't have a really good chance to get on it for the most part. When I got closer to home the roads were nearly dry so I did nail it a couple of times at probably 75% throttle.

During normal driving the car behaves much like a car with an intake/tuner combo. The throttle response and general driveability is very good as would be expected with a Brenspeed, BamaChips, etc tune. Very streetable. The supercharger makes a whirring/whining noise under acceleration. It is audible, but not as loud as a twin screw.

I didn't do any launches from first gear, but when already rolling I did nail it pretty hard and also shifted to second lightly and again gave it about 75%. The whirring noise becomes more distinct and the car takes off readily. There isn't much lag at all. The power comes on right away and builds quickly. When you let off the gas quickly, you are rewarded with a much louder than expected swoosh/psssshh noise from the bypass valve. Very cool!

I wasn't watching the wideband A/F real closely when I did give it some throttle due to the conditions and watching the road (not knowing what to expect), but I believe I saw it around 12.2-12.5 at 75%-ish throttle. Things were happening fast, so that was only a glimpse. Around town when in vacuum it was reading around 14.7 mostly. The highest boost I saw on the gauge was around 5 lbs. The kit should peak around 8 lbs near max RPM at WOT.

I will drive the car more this weekend and also wash her up and take a bunch of pics and some video. I know there were a few people waiting to see the verdict on this kit, so I wanted to at least throw you a bone for now.

Overall, I am very pleased so far. The car runs great!

Last edited by Mudflap; 12-17-2008 at 10:42 PM.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:44 PM
peter north
2nd Gear Member

congrats. Do you any video clips?
Old 12-17-2008, 10:48 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by peter north
congrats. Do you any video clips?
I'll take some vids this weekend along with a ton of pics and post them. It was dark and late when I got home...
Old 12-17-2008, 10:57 PM
08PureBreed

Cool... cant wait to see the pix and vid!
Old 12-17-2008, 11:09 PM
EagleStroker
5th Gear Member

Can't wait man, should take a picture of the smile I know is still on your face!
Old 12-18-2008, 12:20 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

congrats Mudflap! for non intercooled
and only around 5-6 psi, that is a very
nice power level to be at.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:25 AM
Dwisforme05
5th Gear Member

get it dynotuned! my dyno tune took me from 265 rwhp to 295rwhp ( outta a sixer) on the tune alone! that is if your running the canned vortech tune.

glad to see another satisfied vortech owner. i know i had a permanent grin on my face when me and my buddy got done with the install and took it for the first test drive.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:26 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Did Lonestar provide you a copy of the A/F ratio and the boost at WOT when on the dyno? The numbers are great and I was just curious when you had it dynoed did they use a tail pipe sniffer for the A/F ratio or one that is put right into the manifold/header of the car when on the dyno? Let me know and congrats on joining the FI crew!
Old 12-18-2008, 12:29 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by hammeron
congrats Mudflap! for non intercooled
and only around 5-6 psi, that is a very
nice power level to be at.
Thanks man, I was shooting for safe/conservative and I think I accomplished that. The car seems pretty fast now, but I certainly have room to upgrade later if I want to.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:31 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

I paid for an A/F set of dyno pulls but they did not give me anything with the A/F on it. I just assumed they must have deemed it safe. I just emailed asking what it was or if they have any paperwork on it.

The car is running Brenspeed's tune which I am comfortable with vs a local dyno tune for now... I could have gotten a few extra ponies with a 93 octane tune probably, but I don't like having to worry about finding 93 octane if I take a road trip or something.

Last edited by Mudflap; 12-18-2008 at 12:34 AM.

Quick Reply: Vortech S/C installed, dyno and first impressions