Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Faulty Black Chrome Wheels--Others Black Chrome Wheels are holding up much better

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 09:22 PM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

Default Faulty Black Chrome Wheels--Others Black Chrome Wheels are holding up much better

Due to recent threads and posts about the black chrome-coated wheels, I just wanted to clarify that the condition of my current wheels should be considered highly abnormal. After reading others concerns and confirmations that his or her wheels are in good shape, I have come to realize indeed my wheels probably had some type of adherance issue with the clear/chrome coating.

I still don't think anything beats the looks of black chrome. I am not posting these pictures to damage anyone's reputation. I am illustrating that every product can sometimes have an abnormal occurrence.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:29 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Shella.....that looks terrible.....looks like the manufacturer needs a much improved chroming process......it should not flake off like that and I know how you take care of the cars you have!!!!! You treat them well and I think you said only soap and water for the rims and I would contact who you bought them from or the manufacturer...even if it has been a yr. I know you don't drive the car that much either.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:34 PM
Croft
3rd Gear Member

Wow, like I said before, that looks horrible. i would be disheartened as well if my wheels looked like that. I hope things get worked out for you. You have a beautiful car and I would hate for you to lose the look that you have going with the black chrome. good luck and keep us updated!

Last edited by Croft; 11-07-2009 at 06:30 AM.
DreamerGT
5th Gear Member

how long have you had them? Thats horrible
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

Thanks Jason. I thought I was going to have to figure out something different for the car, but I have always really liked these wheels. I do try very diligently to take care of these cars. The peeling was very gradual, *at first*, but once a little spot started here or there, it just seemed to get much worse very quickly.

Laura, I love your car!! A CS mustang has such a classy look....seeing the wheels on your car confirms just how good they really do look!! And thank you !

I have had these wheels around one year.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:21 PM
rford426
4th Gear Member

Wow I think my rims are in the early stages of that! Mine have rough textured spots that don't shine anymore. I took some pics but you can't tell im gonna try again tomm to get some pics that you can see
Old 11-06-2009, 10:22 PM
rford426
4th Gear Member

Who has black chrome and has had a problem? PM me if you have and send some pics im gonna start working on something...Or email is rford426@gmail.com
Old 11-07-2009, 09:39 AM
americaniron
5th Gear Member

Here are two links that discribe the Black chrome process. You need to scroll down a bit on both links to see the pertinent info. It seems that black chrome isn't as sturdy a plating as regular or more common plating processes. IMO it probably isn't the ideal plating to use for wheels.

http://www.natmetal.com/chrome.htm

www.finishing.com/57/76.shtml
Old 11-07-2009, 09:54 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Also, LET IT BE KNOWN THAT ANYBODY, coming on this thread and bashing CC in any way will get infractions for sure and maybe get hit with the BAN stick. (Adm. will decide).

Having said that, anyone will similar problems about those wheels, is welcome to post pix showing the damage. Regardless who they bought them from...
This is obviously a faulty product and it needs to be addressed, may it be a bad batch or else.

Thanks Shella for those pictures, it clearly shows that it's a defect, not a miss care issue.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:18 AM
rford426
4th Gear Member

^for sure! doesn't matter where you got them

Quick Reply: Faulty Black Chrome Wheels--Others Black Chrome Wheels are holding up much better