Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed: Keyless Push Start Button

Old 03-22-2010, 11:20 PM
discodave
4th Gear Member

Default Installed: Keyless Push Start Button

Just a few days ago I got my Keyless Push Start Button system installed. I couldn't find anyone around my neck of the woods to do it, so I drove my *** all the way to Atlantic City, NJ to get it done from a shop who has been doing them since these new systems came out. That was about a four hour drive. I know, I'm insane, but it just HAD to be done

This system isn't JUST a push start button..... It comes with a key fob that's smaller than a credit card that you just put in your wallet, or pocket, or wherever. As you're approaching your vehicle from the outside and get within a few feet, it automatically unlocks your doors without touching anything. The system reads the key fob and just does it automatically. When you get into the car, the key fob has already "activated" your controls, so you just press the brake pedal and hold down the push start button and the engine starts. Same concept when you're finished driving...... Hold the start button down, the engine stops, walk away from the car and it automatically locks the doors as you walk away and engages your factory alarm (if you have one). No more keys needed..... EVER.... and that's what I was going for.

There's just something so cool about your car "detecting" your presence and just unlocking your doors for you as you walk up.

This system is very complex install wise, which is why I didn't attempt it myself. It came with about 7 different wiring harnesses, the start button itself, and the receivers/transmitters the system uses to detect your key fob.

I had them put the actual "Start" button just to the left and under my steering wheel. I put some pics below to show where it is and what it looks like.

I paid about 600 bucks for the system itself, and 250 for the labor to have it installed, so about 900 total if you count all the gas and tolls I had to pay to get to Atlantic City.

Was it worth it? Hell yes it was!

Old 03-22-2010, 11:26 PM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

Too bad you couldn't have added that button under the aux power port in the center of the upper dash behind that little door..or even in it.

Congrats, sounds like a cool little feature. Throw up a video of it in action!!
Old 03-22-2010, 11:32 PM
MythEyeLess
3rd Gear Member

I agree do a video. Not a fan of the placement looks tad uncomfortable to get to. But the features u mentioned and the way you described it makes me wanna get one too.... God i hate being broke lol.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:34 PM
discodave
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by wilkinda
Too bad you couldn't have added that button under the aux power port in the center of the upper dash behind that little door..or even in it.

Congrats, sounds like a cool little feature. Throw up a video of it in action!!
Thanks Will. That's actually where I wanted to put it. The button itself is so deep with the wiring harness on the end it wouldn't fit there, or anywhere else on the dash for that matter, so I decided for the "incognito" route and put it where it is now.

I'll take a video tomorrow so you can see how it works.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:35 PM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

Mods mods and more mods...
Old 03-22-2010, 11:37 PM
discodave
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MythEyeLess
I agree do a video. Not a fan of the placement looks tad uncomfortable to get to. But the features u mentioned and the way you described it makes me wanna get one too.... God i hate being broke lol.
Yeah, the placement wasn't ideal, but as you're sitting in the seat it's just really at about 7 o'clock from the steering wheel. I don't have to bend over to get to it or anything. It wasn't cheap but worth it in my opinion. I love "gadgety" type things like that.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:41 PM
discodave
4th Gear Member

Just remembered another cool feature..... You can't ever lock your keys in your car ever again since the system won't arm if your key fob is in the car. (and you don't have keys anymore so that kinda helps)
Old 03-23-2010, 12:03 AM
mondo73
2nd Gear Member

Sounds like a cool modification, like the Nissans. Which company makes the kit?
Old 03-23-2010, 12:13 AM
discodave
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mondo73
Sounds like a cool modification, like the Nissans. Which company makes the kit?
I got it from a site called Digital Guard Dawg, www.digitalguarddawg.com

The actual push start button is for a Lexus (provided by digital guard dawg). They wire up the harnesses for you to fit your car, so in my case the 2010 Mustang. Awesome company to deal with. They actually gave me a 150 dollar discount because I told them I was thinking about ordering from somewhere else. The reason I went with them is because their system works on the door locks as well, which is also why it was so much more expensive than others you may see out on the market.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:25 AM
smokinAMD
2nd Gear Member

Heh...I knew it was for a Toyota / Lexus when I saw the pics. Reminded me of all the videos I've been seeing on youtube of people making fun of that idiot in California with the Prius that "wouldn't slow down".

Cool mod though, just wish you could have put it in a better spot. Either next to the headlight switch, or replacing the power plug between the ac vents (although that is ultra handy for a radar detector).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Installed: Keyless Push Start Button