Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

USB Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 05:18 PM
Karnage541
1st Gear Member

Default USB Problems

Seems like whenever my car gets cold my usb port doesnt work. It syncs up my zune and then disconnects it a couple of seconds later. After about 5 mins or so of heating the car up if i try to sync the zune up again it will work (eventually). I know its not the zune or the cable because in the morning it syncs up fine with no problem (My car is garage kept). And i thought it might be the zune or the cable so i brought them inside which stays 70 all day. When i went out for lunch i brough my zune out with me and the same problem happened. Anybody else having this problem? It was about 25 here today, about 10 with the wind.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:56 PM
LostBoyz
4th Gear Member

been in the single digits this week and my thumbdrive that stays in the car has had no problems at all
Old 12-17-2010, 06:09 PM
Karnage541
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by LostBoyz
been in the single digits this week and my thumbdrive that stays in the car has had no problems at all
Well that sucks for me, cuz I already know the dealership wont know what to do with it.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:32 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

This is a Ford Forum, not a computer forum.

The first gen of SYNC not working correctly, imagine that...
Old 12-18-2010, 11:58 AM
Murphdog
3rd Gear Member

I have a similar issue (with my Pioneer) but it's not a bad usb port. I leave my ipod hooked up to my car unless I have new music to put on it. The issue I have found is that the Ipod stays powered on even with the power of the car is turned off. One person claims there is an automatic shut-off option in the settings of my ipod classic but I've never found it (just a sleep mode) This causes my head unit to wakeup the ipod but as soon as the ipod detects it's got hardly any battery life in it, it will "disconnect" from the Pioneer until it's got enough juice to power back on. This doesn't happen every time I use my car, but possibly once a week.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:11 PM
theACE
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 157dB

Yeah, this is a Ford Forum, and Ford's actually have computers in them now...
Old 12-18-2010, 03:49 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

RISK computers of sorts.

Spanish Oak architecture.

I would never be a Guinea Pig for Ford.

Attached Images  

Last edited by 157dB; 12-18-2010 at 03:56 PM.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:26 PM
Karnage541
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 157dB

Originally Posted by Murphdog
I have a similar issue (with my Pioneer) but it's not a bad usb port. I leave my ipod hooked up to my car unless I have new music to put on it. The issue I have found is that the Ipod stays powered on even with the power of the car is turned off. One person claims there is an automatic shut-off option in the settings of my ipod classic but I've never found it (just a sleep mode) This causes my head unit to wakeup the ipod but as soon as the ipod detects it's got hardly any battery life in it, it will "disconnect" from the Pioneer until it's got enough juice to power back on. This doesn't happen every time I use my car, but possibly once a week.
I dont think it would be that because I took my zune out of my car when I went to work and brought it back in when I was going for lunch and it still didnt work. Today I went out and it worked perfect because the car was in the garage. Its just strange that the cold would effect it like this. I have two zunes so ill try the other one when I go to work. If it still does it for that one then atleast I know its the cold.

Other than this little problem the car is perfect. I love it. Im happy its not a engine problem but im not holding my breath just yet. I just got it this past wendesday I really didnt think I was gonna get looks since in my town mustangs are a dime a dozen but im getting alot.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:58 PM
theACE
3rd Gear Member

Do you have the old Zune or the newer Zune HD?
Old 12-18-2010, 05:49 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Karnage541
Seems like whenever my car gets cold my usb port doesnt work. It syncs up my zune and then disconnects it a couple of seconds later. After about 5 mins or so of heating the car up if i try to sync the zune up again it will work (eventually). I know its not the zune or the cable because in the morning it syncs up fine with no problem (My car is garage kept). And i thought it might be the zune or the cable so i brought them inside which stays 70 all day. When i went out for lunch i brough my zune out with me and the same problem happened. Anybody else having this problem? It was about 25 here today, about 10 with the wind.
Try this: on another very cold day, test out another Zune player and see if the same problem is replicated. If yes, then the car's electronics is at fault.
If no, of course, your Zune is jacked up. Call Microsoft for that, unfortunately.

Cold should have absolutely no relevance on whether or not your USB will work or fail. I have used computers in sub-zero temps before, and they fired up okay, although typing with extreme cold mits is no fun (find and peck typing, taking off the gloves would expose my skin to the severe cold, which is very bad news from what I understand).

What I am trying to get at is go ahead and take it to the dealership if it is not your Zune that is jacked up. Even if they do not know what the hell to do, they can at the very least replace the USB hook-ups, or the whole Sync radio set.

Quick Reply: USB Problems