Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011-12 Steering Wheel upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 09:48 AM
HoosierDaddy

Default 2011-12 Steering Wheel upgrades

Some Base Mustang owners (V6 and GT) don't like the steering wheel that came with their car. Some don't like the hard feel. Some don't like how hot or cold it feels. Some would like stereo controls on the wheel.

Hundreds of owners have already installed Boss 302, GT500, Premium or 18R wheels in their base model. Until now, the stereo controls on those wheels did not function.

Many months ago, I noticed that the same head unit was installed in Base cars, Boss 302s and 18R cars and that they did NOT have any connections for a steering wheel control harness. So I believed there would be some way to activate steering wheel controls if they were installed on a Base car.

Fast forward some months and a Mustang owner who has access to IDS (the Ford diagnosis and update tool) discovered how to do that. For some reason, he wouldn't tell anyone how he did it but he did mention that something called the ACM was involved.

That was enough information for me to start piecing the puzzle together.

It turns out Mustangs have an ACM (Audio Control Module). All the components of the audio system talk to each other via the ACM.

Ford loads the ACM in each car with a list of the audio components installed in that car. All that's needed to activate the controls after putting another wheel in a base car is to tell the ACM what wheel was installed.

Ford apparently does not provide a way to update part of that component list BUT they do have to provide a way to re-load a car's ACM data in case the ACM is damaged and has to be replaced.

In my research, I found the ACM data for the various 2011-12 models.

Since a Boss 302 and a Base Mustang have identical audio components EXCEPT for the steering wheel, it was easy to determine what portion of the ACM data represented the steering wheel.

So................ The audio controls on a Boss 302 or 18R wheel can be activated by reloading the ACM with the data used in those cars. And I have confirmation that the same data worked for a GT500 wheel. While not confirmed yet, I believe the same data will work with a Premium wheel.

Getting the update done is problematic because Ford doesn't provide any documentation. Owners have to talk a dealer (or independent shop that has IDS) to blindly load data into the car's ACM. As you would expect, most won't even consider it. Most that will try quote a very high charge, probably because they don't know how long it will take and are worried about problems or side effects.

If an owner is lucky, someone in their area has already convinced a dealer to do it for a reasonable charge (1/2 hour labor is typical) and has posted the contact info.

If they need to find a dealer themselves, here is what seems to work best:

1. Contact the Service Manager. Service writers usually don't make the call on something new or unusual.

2. Tell them you want them to load ACM data that you will provide to match the steering wheel you installed in your car.

3. Tell them you will take responsibility for the data working. I never found a dealer that didn't want to charge an arm and a leg if they had to deal with any side effects or an angry customer.

4. Tell them you can point them to dealers/shops in other areas who do this for 1/2 hour labor and that's what you expect. Most won't promise they won't charge more but you should get a feel for if they will charge that if it goes smoothly.

I contacted 12 or 13 dealers and only found one who would do it for 1/2 hour labor. Three others would do it but wanted around $150 which was obviously from the discussion that it was a number pulled out of the air. I may have been able to talk them down some if I hadn't found a good dealer.

If you have it done, please post in this thread the contact info for the dealer or shop and what they charged to save fellow Mustang owners in your area having to call a bunch of dealers.

Here is the ACM data the dealer will need.

Boss 302 ACM As-Built data:

727-01-01 0044 908B 64F3
727-01-02 0435
727-02-01 2E5F
727-03-01 1446
727-04-01 0033
727-05-01 0007 2F57 5B1C
727-05-02 765B 572F 0793
727-06-01 000A 3335 5C03
727-06-02 645C 3533 0A68
727-07-01 000A 3335 5C04
727-07-02 645C 3533 0A69

I've looked at ACM data for numerous Base and Boss 302 cars and all the Bases were the same and all the Boss 302s were the same. And the only difference between the Base and Boss 302 is the first line.

Still, there are no absolute guarantees in life so if you have it done, you do so at your own risk.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:11 AM
HoosierDaddy

Here is some info on available steering wheel upgrades from Ford for 2011-12 Mustangs.

Boss 302: this is an Alcantara (man made suede) wheel. It has cruise and audio controls. The audio controls won't work in a base car unless the ACM is updated. Alcantara has the best grip. Most people think it is the most comfortable. Up till recently, you could buy the wheel from on-line dealer parts departments for around $150. That may have been a price mistake because it recently doubled.

18R: this is a leather wheel. It has cruise and audio controls. The audio controls won't work in a base car unless the ACM is updated. This wheel was only available in cars purchased by fleet buyers, probably in response to demands from rental car companies. 18R is the new car order code for the leather wheel and a leather shifter option.

GT500: this is a combination leather and Alcantara wheel. It has cruise, audio and Sync controls. The audio controls won't work in a base car unless the ACM is updated. The Sync controls obviously will do nothing in a base car. It is available with different color stitching.

Premium: this is a leather wheel. It has cruise, audio and Sync controls. The audio controls won't work in a base car unless the ACM is updated. The Sync controls obviously will do nothing in a base car. It is available in different colors of leather and stitching. At this time there are no confirmation that the ACM update will activate the audio controls but it should.

When ordering a wheel, be aware that Ford sells wheels as complete assemblies and as individual parts. If you are replacing a base wheel, you will want a complete assembly.

All of them are easy to install. Refer to a service manual. There is one on-line.

Basically, you pull a fuse or disconnect the battery and wait for capacitors to drain to prevent accidental airbag activation. There are two bolts accessed thru holes on the side of the wheel that hold the air bag and cover. After removing them, pull the bag assembly out far enough to unplug it and set it aside. Then unplug the steering wheel controls. A large bolt (22 mm if I remember right) holds the steering wheel on. No puller is needed but you will need extensions to reach the bolts.

Last edited by HoosierDaddy; 11-07-2011 at 06:39 AM.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:22 AM
HoosierDaddy

If you don't want audio controls but do want a leather wheel in your 2011-12 base Mustang, the earlier Bullitt steering wheel will work.

The Bullitt wheel looks like the 2011-12 base wheel except its leather. The cruise controls are dimensionally identical to the ones in the 2011-12 base wheel.

You will want to transfer your base wheel controls to the Bullitt wheel. The Bullitt wheel controls have a different color back lighting and the wiring connector is different. I understand it isn't real obvious how the controls should be removed but don't have first hand knowledge of what's involved. The controls are designed to be removed and replaced in case of failure.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:30 AM
HoosierDaddy

If you live in central Arizona and installed a Boss 302, GT500, 18R or Premium wheel in your Base 2011-12 Mustang, you can get the ACM updated at Robert Horne Ford in Apache Junction. Ask for Service Adviser David Duvall. They charge 1/2 hour labor. That was $45 when I had mine done.

I am not affiliated with or had any contact with Robert Horne Ford before having my ACM updated. I was very pleased with their work and the entire experience. I just wished they weren't almost an hour from where I live. LoL

Another Mustang owner reports he got a package deal from Robert Horne to buy the wheel and have it installed along with the ACM update. I have no pricing information for that.

Last edited by HoosierDaddy; 11-06-2011 at 10:44 AM.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:31 AM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

Damn Good basic info. I'm voting for this to be sticky'd once some folks populate it w/ some good dealers.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:16 PM
magnido45
2nd Gear Member

Thanks HoosierDaddy for doing the research and making the necessary info available for those who are ready to contact a dealer...I will be using this info to talk to the service manager once I am ready to upgrade :-)
Old 11-06-2011, 05:43 PM
HoosierDaddy

Originally Posted by Ditty
Damn Good basic info. I'm voting for this to be sticky'd once some folks populate it w/ some good dealers.
Thanks.

I just noticed there is an still an edit button on my first post even hours later. If this forum allows updates forever, I'll paste the contact info for all dealers in the first post as they are available.

Originally Posted by magnido45
Thanks HoosierDaddy for doing the research and making the necessary info available for those who are ready to contact a dealer...I will be using this info to talk to the service manager once I am ready to upgrade :-)
Glad to do it. I hate the thought of owners taking time away driving their Mustangs to reinvent the wheel (pardon the pun).

Please post who did yours if you get it done.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:32 AM
magnido45
2nd Gear Member

Will do...just ordered my leather seats...so the steering wheel will be next
Old 11-07-2011, 09:49 AM
incorrigible
2nd Gear Member

Subscribed

If anyone knows a dealer in the NY area. please post. I wish someone could get the code and find a way to load it via laptop or similar. Any takers?
Old 11-07-2011, 11:17 AM
redrader26
1st Gear Member

This is great information. I have a base GT but purchased a premium wheel from another forum member. I would love to have the radio buttons work on the steering wheel. Anyone found somebody to do this in the Dallas area?

Quick Reply: 2011-12 Steering Wheel upgrades