Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT Fender emblem removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 10:09 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

Default RE: GT Fender emblem removal

Yeah, folks have it right; fishing line and hairdryer (no heat gun) makes it a quick removal. (rubbing alcohol works pretty well if you don't feel like buying Goo Gone for such a small task; don't use lacquer thinner unless you're getting this welded up anyway) ...Jim
Old 04-02-2006, 10:20 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

I forgot one thing. After using the Goo Gone use some Denatured Alcohol to clean the area of all residue. Then after you have stuck a new emblem on apply some wax to protect the finish.

Fairlane Rubbing alcohol is actually pretty worthless for this and the Denatured alcohol is what should be used. You can get it at any hardware store such as Ace or Home Depot. I actually use it a lot for stuff like this and buy it by the gallon.

Richard
Old 04-02-2006, 11:15 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

I'll try some DA; I just used a small amount of lacquer thinner because I was welding up the holes. With the hair dryer and fishing line 99% of the black adhesive stayed on the emblems.
Old 04-03-2006, 01:21 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fairlane292

I'll try some DA; I just used a small amount of lacquer thinner because I was welding up the holes. With the hair dryer and fishing line 99% of the black adhesive stayed on the emblems.

Yeah the fishing line and hair dryer work great.

Richard
Old 04-12-2006, 02:13 AM
imaginager

Pardon if this is bad form, I posted this in the Detailing section, too. Not sure that it will get the needed traffic...

I've got a repro pair of 1968 GT emblems that I would like to use on my new Mustang. I've read many of the posts on removing stock emblems, that shouldn't be a problem. However, '68 GT Emblems are "dished", or hollowed out on the back; the surface area of the back doesn't fit flush against the fender, even with the pins dremeled off (which, I haven't done yet - I want to see if the pins from the '68 will align with the pin holes from the stock emblems). More challenging yet, the back of the '68 emblem tapers from the top to the bottom, I assume to match the curve on a '68 fender. The depth of the dish at the top and bottom of the emblem is about 1/16" and 3/16", respectively.

So, my question is, what's the best way to attach the aluminum '68 emblems without drilling additional holes? I do have the rear fasteners if it came to that. But, that's a trip to the bodyshop and big $, for sure. 3M tape might work, if it came in the shape of a wedge...

Ideally, I'd like to keep the stock '06 GT emblems so they could be reinstalled/applied, if that ever came up.

All thoughts appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Allan
Old 04-12-2006, 02:21 AM
LEJAY
I ♥ Acer

There are little holes / dimples............................... Dusty
Old 04-12-2006, 02:31 AM
mustangmeds

If I were to buy an emblem from say ( ssinserts ) and put it on my stang where there was no previous emblem is that fine. I mean just using the 2 way 3M automotive tape. Or do all emblems need those notches?
Old 04-12-2006, 02:37 AM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

My problem with what you've written is that they won't fit flush to a flat surface and the GT fender where the emblem is, is almost as flat as a table top. Can't put something on that doesn't have exact fit or it will look "lame" for sure. ...well I mean it will look like it doesn't belong there or was really intended there. Maybe one pin can be used in conjunction with 3M tape. Do you have a few pic views of the 68 emblem we can look at; maybe seeing it will spur an idea or two. ...Jim
Old 04-12-2006, 02:42 AM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

Tape alone (with a flush fit; so no moisture keeps getting behind there) is fine; the factory uses the pins and holes so alignment is not an issue on the assembly line; You're not doing 30,000 emblems just 2 so you can take the time to get the alignment just right w/o pins. I would still check the emblems every now and then and if you found they had a little play you could reapply.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:50 AM
mustangmeds

Thanks fairlane

Quick Reply: GT Fender emblem removal