Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window Tinting

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 06:39 PM
vetsac

Default RE: Window Tinting

I posted this in another thread... so FYI, maybe this'll help you too:

I finally found a tint place in town that knows what they're doing when it comes to the Mustang window tint problem. He knew exactly what the problem was -- the hard rubber weather strip that runs the horizontal length of the door, which presses up against the windows, is what eventually scratches the glass (even if no tint film is applied!). Eventually small dust particles get inside the door frame over time, and as the glass rolls up and down, those particles get stuck in between the hard rubber seal and the glass, and whamo! You have scratches on your glass and/or tint film.

So they applied a line of felt onto that rubber seal, so now the felt presses against the tint/glass (they do have to remove your door panels to install the felt). The place I found guarantees their work for life, and they did an excellent job at applying the film, using high quality product (I rattled off a buncha questions about how they apply the tint and what they use, etc., before deciding to let them do the job!).

Hope this description helps someone out! If you live in the Phoenix area, contact me if you want the name of the tint place that did my 06 Mustang.

-Dan
Old 04-12-2006, 09:39 PM
McBudd
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for all the replys. This helps alot.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:25 AM
mvm549
2nd Gear Member

i took mine in b/c a kid at my school hit the right rear fender and i asked if they could fix the windows and they said they wouldnt do it b/c its not under warranty, they said i probably got sand in it, which is bs cas i havent gone near a beach with my car
Old 04-13-2006, 01:43 AM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

I had mine tinted in late May '05, it had about 3,800 miles on it. Now about 11,200 miles on it. I use my windows, no felt, no scratches.

Just a thought, was told to use window cleaner without Ammonia in it. Perhaps ammonia degrades the film and makes more susceptible to scratches? Check the bottle for contents, I think I'm using Meguiar's window cleaning product.
Old 04-13-2006, 05:27 PM
StangPilot
1st Gear Member

I asked the dealership about the scratches BEFORE they tinted the windows. They said nothing would happen. 1 week later I had 1 inch verticle scratches all down the drivers side door from the window rolling up and down opening the door. I took it back and made them replace it. And yes, it is the rubber/ hard a** plastic on the INSIDE of the door that is making the scratches. Dude at the dealership even went so far as to tell me one of his tint guys has a Mustang and it is happening to him too!!
Old 05-09-2006, 03:18 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

When I got my windows tinted two different shops said they had never heard of this problem. I actually printed out some posts off of these forums and took them in for them to read. Both shops guessed that the problem was cheap tint material. I ended up going with the shop that offered a lifetime guarantee (in writing) and is the tint shop for a local Ford dealership. It's been around 4 months now and my windows have been up & down many dozens of times and the tint still looks great.

This issue is a strange one because some people report severe tint scratching and others report no tint scratching at all. Very mysterious.
Old 05-09-2006, 03:46 PM
sectionV8
1st Gear Member

My windows are scratched to hell too! I've only had mine tinted for about 7 months. They got scratched up after 2 months. If they aren't covered under warranty, does anybody know how much it usually runs to get the felt installed?