Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window Tinting

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 05:24 PM
McBudd
2nd Gear Member

Default Window Tinting

Wanting to get the side windows tinted on my '06 but the tech at the shop where I was getting the rest of my mods done siad that he did not recommend tinting the side windows because it would get all scratched up because of the way the windows work on the '05/'06 models. Was wondering if anyone was having this problem and if there was any type of tint that would work on these models?
Old 04-10-2006, 05:31 PM
tadi
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Window Tinting

Just get them to install felt and they'll be fine. The only problem I've heard of is that you're not supposed to roll the windows down for a few days but the windows on the 05+ roll down a small amount automatically when you open the door. I have never heard of that being a huge deal though.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:40 PM
SOLDSHORT
5th Gear Member

Never had a problem with my tint. Had it for about 9 months.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:47 PM
RedFireChik
1st Gear Member

If you take it to Ford, they should put the felt inside the doors under warranty. Been there, done that.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:31 PM
peteway
2nd Gear Member

Where does the felt go? up top where the window contacts the roof area, or down on the door area?
Old 04-10-2006, 08:23 PM
StangPilot
1st Gear Member

Felt goes on the inside of the door channel at the bottom of the window. I had to do this myself as the Ford dealership where I bought my car would not install it because it was "personalizing" and would not be covered under warranty. This is after they replaced my tint because of the scratches. They told me it was dirt, and I needed to keep my doors cleaner. My car was only 1 month old, there had been NO rain or much wind with about 500 miles on my brand new beauty.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:13 PM
lilspeedy16
2nd Gear Member

I have never had any problems out of my tint getting screwed up.
Old 04-12-2006, 03:04 PM
skin5050
2nd Gear Member

I had the same problem w/ the windows scratching so I installed the felt and it has stopped. However, the tint place said NOT to roll my windows down all the way (roll them about 80% down) as to not let dirt get in b/c this is what caused the scratching to begin with. I don't see the need to do this with the felt on there now. For those of you with the felt, do your windows scratch if you roll them all the way down? Thanks.
Old 04-12-2006, 03:29 PM
Moonbaby1973
2nd Gear Member

Two possible things he could be talking about. #1, he may be refering to the way the windows drop when you open the door. Your not suposed to roll your windows down fro 3 days after having tint installed. The shop that did my tint simply heated the tint up along the bottom of the window with a heat gun, drying it out a little quicker. I had absolutely no problem with the tint.

The second possiblity is the very light scratches that will apear in the tint about about a week or two after instilation. Something inside of the doors on the Mustangs touches the window itself and leaves these very light scratches. they are hardly noticable. In fact, i dont think i would have ever noticed them there, but i read about them on this forum, so it drew my attention to them. Im pretty **** about my car and i can hardly see them.

[IMG]local://upfiles/30025/54C5633236724A7CAED33728804DB440.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-12-2006, 03:32 PM
hottymustang
2nd Gear Member

I don't have the felt on the windows (found out about that little trick after the windows were scratched), but the scratches themselves are minor. You can only see them if the windows get dusty or if it rains.

Also, the windows rolling up and down with the door never ruined or hurt or anything to mine. But you can roll the entire window down for 3 days. So sayeth the Tint Man.

Quick Reply: Window Tinting