Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

power steering noise ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 12:06 PM
chuckc435

Default power steering noise ???

i'm getting a sound, only notice it at low speeds, round 5 and under. not the typical ford power steering wine, almost sounds like somethings rubbing together. only notice it on sharp turns, and not all the time. anyone have any ideas before i take her in to have it looked at? thanks for your time
Old 04-11-2006, 02:24 PM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

Default RE: power steering noise ???

A mustang GT is capabile of going 5mph ?????? Really??????

and - - why do you need to turn it!... most tracks are STRIGHT!

Just kidding... Mine makes no weird noises turning except for the occasional tire sqeal or gravel slide noise!
Old 05-25-2006, 04:52 PM
bighart22

Hey guys- I put my stang in the shop for the same reason. They said that they new it was a problem with the power steering pump. They said tha the only thing they could do is flush the systema and put in an "additive." The sound went away for about three days and now it is back as loud as ever.
We really need to start complaining about this to the manufacturer. does anyone know who to contact? I know I did not spend almost 30K on a beautiful new mustang, just so it would make that shreeking noice whenI turn - It DRIVES ME NUTS!!!!!!!!!!!
Any other suggestions?
Old 05-29-2006, 07:24 PM
icesk8r

Did you find out what was causing the wierd noise with low speed turns? My car is also making this whining noise when turning at low speeds, but not all the time. It seems to happen after the car has been on the highway for awhile, then when I get onto regular roads or turn into parking lots the whining starts. Hey, I just had a thought...maybe my car is just complaining about slowing down!! No, but seriously, did you find out what was going on? I'm going to have to take mine in to have it looked at, so any info you have ahead of time would help.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:45 AM
bighart22

Yes - they said it is the power steering pump. They said that even if thye changd the pump, it would still make the noise - it is a defective design.
I really do not know what to do about it. I will try to find an email address to send complaints to FORD, and maybe they will do a recall.
Old 06-07-2006, 04:16 PM
CrazyHorse0217
2nd Gear Member

I took mine in for this too. Same deal. Car has to be driven for about 10 minutes, and only happens on slow turns. Sounds like S**t. Joe Myers told me they could not replicate the noise.

Any updates on this?
Old 06-07-2006, 06:11 PM
Agleon
2nd Gear Member

Happened to my thunderbird, but has not happened to my Mustang. They said it was some link in the springs or something like that. I'll find out what it was for sure and maybe you guys can see if its the same problem you guys are having.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:25 PM
Rippin n Tarrin
2nd Gear Member

Mine makes this noise also. We need to get Ford to address this problem not just brush it under the carpet. I suspect that after the warrenty runs out it will fail and cost alot of money to fix. But then it will not be Fords problem.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:14 PM
CrazyHorse0217
2nd Gear Member

One interesting factor that I have noticed, is that it will continue to make the noise when the steering wheel is no longer being turned, but the car is still cornering. I have driven it in a circle in a parking lot without turning the wheel and the groan continues. That sort of leads me to believe it could be a suspension problem instead of the power steering.

Does that give anyone ideas?

We need some techie input on this one.

One thing for sure, when I take it back to get fixed, I'm taking a mechanic for a ride. No way I'm settling for "couldn't replicate the problem" again.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:20 PM
Agleon
2nd Gear Member

Say the noise caused you to crash cause it was a distraction on the road and try to create a law suit. Win the case and get all of us new 'stangs.

Quick Reply: power steering noise ???