Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Call to Arms

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 06:40 PM
M
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: A Call to Arms

ORIGINAL: blackened

Search the SEC filings, quarterly reports that show the summarized net income, gross revenue, P&L, etc....

As for not buying from brand X, Y and Z, that may help out to the tune of about $0.10 on that one corner. Still your buying more from brand V and W which still accounts for the same DEMAND and thus doesn't affect the price of a barrel of crude.

i know where to find it i was trying to get someone else to do the work [sm=bustedsign.gif]

if i get some extra time later on i'll look it up and break it down, but who knows how detailed they have it, i certainly would "bundle" items together to make the waters a little murky if i were them

and hey $.10 is $.10, keep it up and it might turn in to 20, etc, etc., and i think its been shown pretty extensively that even the current price of oil does not constitute the price per gallon we are paying now.

unfortunately there is no quick fix to this, or atleast no easy fix that isnt going to require people to get up off their ***** and do something about it versus bitchn about it ya know, and of course its going to require the oil companies to be willing (or forced) into developing new ways to extract oil from alternative sources such as shale or our govt to cave in and allow more refineries, allow a standard fuel across the US and get rid of the need for varying manufacturing processes, or start supplementing foreign oil with our own until they make iraq part of the US ...truth be told
Old 04-24-2006, 09:50 PM
05kecarr

for one, i think it's a bit funny how all of you complain about $2.00 being high for gas prices..for two, you should be happy you don't live in hawaii because gas is easily $3.something now (and was higher before when the nation's prices rose really high the 1st time) lol..but hey that's just me..i don't know about fighting gas companies..doesn't seem like a fair fight to me lol
Old 04-24-2006, 10:21 PM
b_hollier
2nd Gear Member

I checked with one of our engineers, cannot say which oil compnay due to propritary information. The % made off of their gasoline sales to filling stations for regular consumer use, this is not industrial use (shipping, agriculture, etc.), is only about 10 to 12 % of their profits. This is for the US only, overseas sales are different. The percentage difference changes with the seasons. When you look at the profits made by these companies you have to take into account that the gas you buy at the pump is not a very significant part of their revenue. You have to take into account the amount of fuel used for cargo ships, trains, trucks carrying cargo and fuel on the road, industrial equipment, and power plants. I can also say as far as BP goes that they are also the largest provider of solar and wind power in the US. BP, Shell, Murphy, ConocoPhillips, Anadarko, BHP Billiton, Dominion, Chevron, and Amarada Hess are currently investing hundreds of millions of dollars in exploration and new production in the US. BP and Shell lead the industry in exploration at the moment, BP has invested billions in new developments and exploration in the US and plan on doing this for at least the next 10 years. Exxon tends to be more overseas near Africa, doing alot of exploration and new developments there.
The demand for oil continues to go everyday as China is becoming a more industrialized nation. The US still leads the world in oil consumption, this is due to to nation relying heavily on many different industries. Alot of the profits being made by these oil companies are remaining here in the US, which is a very good thing. The more they make the more they have been reinvesting in the future of their companies here in the US.
The US government can do something about this, for one they could make it easier for companies to build new refineries and allow new exploration in offshore waters of the east and west coast, as well as open exploration in CO and AK. Refineries take about 10 years to build so any changes now would not be felt until much later.
Old 04-25-2006, 01:26 AM
4wheelkillr
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: M

Grrrr tiger. hehe

youre economics are right on the money, i was trying to stay out of this thread but i cant do it anymore

pennies per gallon, thats a good one...thats why there is records profits now because they are making only pennies...wake up unless of course you work for an oil company

i dont know about your state, so i am not going to assume anything about taxes, but in PA its not a percentage of the cost but a flat rate per gallon. the tax hasnt increased because the price of gas has gone up, the % of taxes/gallon is actually lower now because the profit per gallon has increased substantially. heres some insight. i have few friends that work for a large grocery chain in the western PA area, one is an executive level employee. they purchase their gasoline from various suppliers for a six month time frame and that price is locked in for those six months, and then renegotiated for the next six months. their most recent purchase for the coming summer months was less than $1.60/gallon. they are currently selling regular unleaded for anywhere from $2.99 to $3.05 per gallon depending on location. so whats that tell you? heres another interesting note, they pay the same price for all grades most of the time...rarely do they pay more for plus or super. now the $1.60 they are paying is far higher than they have ever paid, their price has literally tripled over the past year. i mean come on if you dont think people are profiting unfairly with these gas prices your nuts.

the r&d dollars spent by oil companies compared to their profits is squat, its squat because they have a good thing going and why change it. the fact that our govt wont approve additional refining facilties to be built also works in their favor...now they have an excuse, if there were more refining facilities that excuse would be gone. why do you think the iranians are up in arms, (i'm not defending them here so dont flame me on this), they want the price of oil to go up more because they KNOW how much the oil companies are profiting from these increased prices. i would like someone from the oil industry to chime in here and break down the %'s of the profits companies such as mobil make from their gas sales as opposed to say their sales of mobil 1. and how much that % has increased over the past few years. and what is the % of profit on their gas sales versus a few years ago

believe me i am all for profits, i love profits... but there is an ethical way to be successful and an unethical way to do it.

and the ban a gas station thing would help to make an impact but i dont see americans being that united which is a sad sad thing to say about this country. if you dont think that would work, imagine if you owned your own company and all of the sudden your customers decided not to give you anymore business because they thought you were too expensive and switched to your competitor(s). what are you going to do? keep your prices the same...i doubt it.

And the last thing, for everyone giving the "world" argument about smaller cars and more expensive gas in europe...shut up! i paid the equivalent of over $5 a gallon over 8 years ago in Geneva, and recently in eastern europe the price was almost $6 a gallon so wheres the increase we are seeing here, doesnt exist. and the reason why there gas is so high IS because of taxes. and there are plenty of big cars in europe too...ever hear of mercedes, porsche, bmw, audi, peugot, volkwagen, jaguar, and the list goes on an on...gimmie a break. yeah theres plenty of small cars there too but plenty of big ones as well, plus their economy has helped to adjust (in certain countries) to subsidize high costs of certain goods like gas.

flame away if you want but i for one have not bought exxon gas in over a month and i will not buy it unless i am in absolute need.

increased prices are bad for Iran too...yes they produce the crude but Iran has exactly 0% refining capacity which means they import 100% of their gasoline.

One of the many reasons for high oil profits is the sheer number of units. I don't know what the annual global consumption of oil is but it has to be in the very high billions of gallons. Even at $.10/gallon, sell 100 billion gallons and their's your $1,000,000,000 in profits.

I heard this from the wallstreet journal report a few weeks ago. Most big oil companies operate at profit margins between 7-9%.
Pepsi and Coke operate b/n 12-15%, 3M is also around 12-13% along with many many many other big companies. Heck Microsoft is probably at 20% or something crazy like that. PGR insurance has been over 12% the past few years and many many pharmaceutical companies operate at mid to high teens. Oil like every big business IS VERY profitable...but it's certainly not gouging anyone. I think we're just spoiled. Don't like it BITCH ABOUT IT...it's teh american way!
Old 04-25-2006, 06:44 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

This whole idea is just another chain mail thing and won't work. I got an e-mail saying to boycott Exxon-Mobil. Seemed like a reasonable thing to do right? But say it worked and their business drops by 50%... they probably would have to lower the price of gas to encourage customers to return.
However you over look the fact that if we all bought gas at other stations (I'm using the 76 station cause they have free air and water) they will see an increase in demand and RAISE their prices! So after about a month the Mobil price will go down from today's $3.09 to maybe $2.99 but the other stations prices will continue to rise until they are about $3.40! And everyone will then return to Mobil and then they'll be able to raise their prices again!
If you really feel strongly about high gasoline prices and want to do something that will have an impact try buying a car that gets high MPG, carpooling or bicycling.

ORIGINAL: BeeStang

Sorry, lame excuse and and a bad additude, and not very constructive, any idea positive or negative would have been better than saying you'll kick someone in the nuts, why don't you email your senator or congressman and tell him that, not me, I'm just one of many messengers trying to make a difference. I'm just someone sick and tired of making the oil companies rich... you deserve to pay higher gas prices if you just ignore it, or just don't care. It's not about chain letters, it's about awareness. This is the kind of additude that drags the whole idea down. Stand up and be heard and take a chance, what do you have to loose... I say about $3.00++ a gallon for gas in about 6 months or less. If you don't have any thing constructive to contibute, move on. Sorry KFC for the flame but I feel very strongly about this.

ORIGINAL: KFC

whenever someone sends me an e-mail that tells me to forward it to 10 other people (chain mails), they go on my blocked list....and then they get kicked in the nuts if they are local.