Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weight reduction?

Old 04-28-2006, 11:31 PM
Kaldar142
4th Gear Member

Default Weight reduction?

well, i hate having a "heavy" car so what do you guys think i could do for lots of weight reduction but still have it practical for daily driven purposes (as this is my only car lol), keep in mindit's going to used for more autocross and road racing

nothing really comes to mind other then ditching the rear seats which i kind of want, but in some cases i could care less for lol so any ideas of what i could do for weight reduction aside from gutting the whole interior lol
Old 04-29-2006, 12:31 AM
Sleeper05
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Weight reduction?

do you like to take turns really hard? im going to assume no, and that it is not thrashed around except the occasional run through the gears on a straight road:

low-profile tires will take lots of rotational mass off the back, as will "racing" rims that weigh ~15-17lbs (~10rwhp if both done, and 20lbs static weight)
aluminum driveshaft will do the same to that (and free up 15rwhp while losing 20lbs of static weight)
replace front sway bar and radiator support with the BMR bolt-in radiator support (~25lbs)
BMR tubular k-member (20lbs)
spare tire out (35lbs, but a flat means you'll need to get towed)
racing seats (50+lbs)

additionally, the shaker 1000 adds 75lbs over base stereo and
the auto tranny weighs 50+lbs more than the manual
a full tank of gas weighs 125lbs or so
a skinny driver (175lbs) will weigh 100lbs less than a fat driver (275)

SO...(please excuse my humor)...a full weight stereo'd auto wiht a fat driver will weigh about 520lbs more than a modded, ready-to-run-at-the-track manual with skinny driver...thats a big diff
Old 04-29-2006, 12:41 AM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

I had located a rear seat delete kit a while back for these mustangs.....but it really only removes the cushions and seatbelts.........I don't really remember how much weight savings.

Ok , here's the link........looks like about 40 lbs saved.
http://www.modularmustangracing.com/...eat_delete.htm
Old 04-29-2006, 12:44 AM
spyder7724
4th Gear Member

that stuff from BMR(rad support deletes the front sway bar!) is for drag racing. i think since he's going autocross/oad racing he may still want his front sway bar. mine is removed and there is NO WAY i'm road racing this car now. don't get me wrong it's not evil but it sure isn't a corner carver anymore.
weight reduction for you: lightweight tubular k-member and a -arms, coilover kit, aluminum driveshaft, lightweight battery(powerhouse auto has them), rear seat delete, light front seats(they make confortable road race aluminum seats), remove spare tire/jack, lightweight wheels and tires. if you do all that stuff you can shave about 150-200lbs.
Old 04-29-2006, 01:24 AM
90lxstang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sleeper05

hahahahaha, that made my day.
Old 04-29-2006, 12:20 PM
Kaldar142
4th Gear Member

low-profile tires will take lots of rotational mass off the back, as will "racing" rims that weigh ~15-17lbs (~10rwhp if both done, and 20lbs static weight)
racing rims are someting that i have been looking for a while and can't seem to find any good ones that i like, i want ones that are wide so i have put big tires in the back for better traction but i also want ones that 17 or 18 so i can fit the best possible brakes? i was looking at SSR competion rims which are about 15lbs they seemed pretty good, any opinions?

and what exactly would you consider lightweight tires? some examples would be great
Old 04-29-2006, 05:03 PM
hogpowr
3rd Gear Member

Off road h-pipe, or x-pipe will save 12 or more pounds. There are also savings to be had in slp loudmouths. Aluminized steel is lighter than stainless. So a muffler made of aluminized steel will possibly save over the loudmouths.

Good Luck!
Old 04-29-2006, 05:23 PM
Sleeper05
5th Gear Member

in response to the rear seat deletes mentioned...the rear seat (top and bottom together) weighs 10lbs TOPS. i removed them in hopes of it helping at the track, but when i realized they weighed less than the lunch i had just eaten, i put them back in.

i missed the road racing part, sry...def keep (preferrably upgrade) the front sway instead of doing the delete kit. that is for drag racing. as far as lightweight tires, any tire that has less overall mass and less outer diamter is going to free up power and reduce static weight. 17in rim and a 40 series tire should be about perfect. you could have a 315 40series tire on 17in rim and it would have less rotational mass than the 235/55 stockers.

for road racing, you might as well put in an offroad x or h pipe and get rid of your exhaust from there on back, it will save 20lbs or more and you will gain 10-15hp for racing use. racing seat(s), or just taking out the passenger one when you go racing, will free up 50-75lbs

again, on a humorous side-note: helium is lighter than air, so possibly filling your interior with helium and wearing an oxygen mask could shave a thousandth or two off your times. rocket boosters on the back can achieve this "flight" sensation even better
Old 04-29-2006, 05:34 PM
mustangman2424
I ♥ Acer

Well my friend who owns a Honda Civic gave me the best performance mod for the buck ever. Evidently if you put a sticker on the rear right quarter panel, you will achieve at least a gain of 50rwhp. Then if you want some downforce, buy a used tail section of a Boeing 777, and slap that bad boy on there!!!!! These will not add too much weight but they will definately be worth while.Hope this helps!!!!
Old 04-29-2006, 05:39 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

That is why my v6 is super fast [:-]

well anyways, i hear for a few autoXers that getting racing rims help reduce a lot of weight

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Weight reduction?