Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

k&n drop in better or worse?

Old 04-29-2006, 09:45 AM
btorlv
2nd Gear Member

Default k&n drop in better or worse?

Installed a k&n in my gt @ 200 miles and seems to run great. Did i makke a mistake? Some of the forums say you get worse gas miles and loss of power with the k&n could this be true?Should I put back the stock?
Old 04-29-2006, 12:05 PM
S.SubZero
1st Gear Member

Default RE: k&n drop in better or worse?

I think that individual results will vary. If it is working for you, keep it. If it is not working for you, don't keep it.
Old 04-29-2006, 04:24 PM
jt14894
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: btorlv

Installed a k&n in my gt @ 200 miles and seems to run great. Did i makke a mistake? Some of the forums say you get worse gas miles and loss of power with the k&n could this be true?Should I put back the stock?
I would wait until the break-in period is over and then reinstall it.
I installed mine at 5600+ miles and noticed a little increase in performance, especially MPG.
For some reason, I thought I remember reading the instructions stating not to install it when a vehicle is brand new. But, maybe it changed.
Anyway, that's just my preference.
Other than that, do the break-in and then drive it normally and you'll be fine.
Old 04-29-2006, 04:28 PM
RED121572
4th Gear Member

I know someone will come along and rip me for this, but Ill say it anyway....lol....

Expect to see dirt inside your intake track. Ive had many different vehicles with K&N airfilters and I have always gotten a build up of dirt in the intake track. I think theres a fine balance of putting too much oil on the filter vs not enough....I havent found that balance yet. LOL
Old 04-30-2006, 10:48 AM
Andys06GT
2nd Gear Member

regardless if someone bashes you for saying there's dirt in the intake tube, there sometimes is. and there is with any CAI or even a K&N stock replacement filter. the best thing to do is buy the filter that comes "pre-oiled", and before you install it, add one more LIGHT coat of K&N filter oil. spray it down, and let it sit for a day, just to be safe. but yes, the line between under/over oiled is so fine, you'll probably never findit. but to be fair, slightly over is safer, as an over oiled outside layer wont transfer oil to a properly/slight under oiled inside layer. theres the safe way.
Old 04-30-2006, 11:34 AM
Claytone
2nd Gear Member

keep it in, that was actually my first mod. I did notice a little more go, little being the key word. I think it gave an extra 3-5 horses or something nominal like that. I don't see how it can hurt your car.
Old 04-30-2006, 11:39 AM
Andys06GT
2nd Gear Member

outta curiosity, how do you feel 3-5 horse? the difference in airflow and effectiveness between a paper filter and a filter like k&n is so small, the only difference you body will feel with any of the senses is the sound. especially a stock replacement filter in the intake box. you can detect a slightly audible hum at idle and low speeds. past that, you wont notice any HP gains, possibly a little in the way of mileage. but we're talking 1-2 mpg at MOST. these aren't some magical squares from lala land. hence they create CAI. if you're looking for noticable sound, and the potential for noticable hp/trq gains, CAI and tuner. but even just the CAI is a good place to start.
Old 04-30-2006, 12:36 PM
ncponycar

I have the K&N Intake and haven't had any problems with it. My MPG has stayed the same (26mpg average). No noticable changes.

[IMG]local://upfiles/34284/1B383ADE26DA4808B37F2E24AC9BC659.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-30-2006, 01:50 PM
scubie02

I put a K&N in my old wrx and couldn't feel any difference in performance, but did get 2 mpg or so increase from stock. I'm not really sure if its worth the risk of oil or dirt messing up the MAF sensor or whatever, but it probably won't hurt anything.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:07 AM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

When I took out my vapor trap, I felt a difference then I bought a K-N filter and felt more of a difference. No I couldn't prove it but I did feel a small difference as if it ran smoother and had more pick up. Now I have the C/L CAI.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: k&n drop in better or worse?