Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Mustang GT Electrical Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 06:33 PM
Kargstang

Default 2006 Mustang GT Electrical Problem

I have been lurking here for months, but bought a new Mustang and am wondering if any of you have seen this before.

I have a brand new 2006 Mustang GT Convertible that I have owned for a week. After 6 days suddenly the top wouldn't raise or lower and the power windows wouldn't raise a lower. I took it in to the dealership to have them check it out and they found it was a blown fuse. No big deal, they swapped it out and it seemed to work in the parking lot. I drove it 40 minutes to home, pulled into the garage and figured I would try the top and windows again just to be sure -- and they didn't work! I popped open the hood, tracked down the fuse they replaced and sure enough it popped again. So I swapped it out with my own fuse and got the top up. I raised and lowered it several times while idling in the garage, no problems. Wife takes it out, top goes down, gets to the store and the top won't go up -- same problem -- blown fuse.

It's now back in the shop for them to evaluate. So far they cannot reproduce the problem. I am thinking somehow it's related to driving it though I cannot imagine why. They are trying different combinations of accessories and cannot reproduce. I just know if I pick it up and drive it home it won't work again.

Anyone had this before?

If it helps the fuse in question is the 'delayed accessory fuse', number 44 on the engine compartment fuse box if I recall correctly.

Thanks!
Kargan
Old 05-31-2006, 12:43 AM
JS06GTvert

Default RE: 2006 Mustang GT Electrical Problem

Hey...congrats on your new GT vert. I've had mine for around 2 months now and the top's been up and down too many times to count and have never had that problem. It doesn't sound like a driving problem, to me it sounds like an electrical problem. Can't imagine how the way you two drive it would cause the fuse to pop. JMO. Have you had any mods done since you bought it?
Old 05-31-2006, 02:11 AM
LEJAY
I ♥ Acer

This might sound stupid.................... but, is the e-brake engaged when you try to engage the top motor ?
Try putting the windows down 1st, before you try to lower the top.

Justa suggestion.
Old 05-31-2006, 03:11 AM
F00Mustang
3rd Gear Member

The brake is not tied to the convertible top on the S197's like in the old fox bodies. Instead, it's tied to the VSS system, so it will only operate when the vehicle is below a certain speed.

I think that he has a lemon with a short somewhere.
Old 05-31-2006, 03:54 AM
05SDI
3rd Gear Member

Also on the 06 all the windows power down completely before the top moves either towards the open or closed position. THe E-brake doesn't have to be set nor tanny in netrual (or park) to raise lower the top. The car has to be moving less then 3mph. If you idle along and get going more then the 3 mph the top will stop right where it is. (lol whether you are going 3mph forwards or backwards!!) If the windows are down and latches unlatched it takes less then 16 seconds for the top to open. About the same for it to raise. (close) Yours may be in some bind and taking longer or putting more load on the motor. Strang how each time it has blown the fuse after the top has gotten either competely open or closed. Sounds to me like the motor is not trying to stop at the end of the cycle. The shop shouild be able to meter how many amp the motor is drawing and for how long. In the last 12,000 miles our '06 convertible has been either opened and closed at least 200 times. (not exagerating that's a pretty good estimate as to how many complete cycles open and closed) Hope this helps! 05SDI
Old 05-31-2006, 09:39 AM
GT4HUTCH
2nd Gear Member

I had a problem with a car I had in the past where a wire was getting pinched in the trunk lid. So when I put the car in reverse (activating reverse lights) it would blow a fuse and I would loose my power windows, sunroof, steering, etc. The guy that fixed it found the problem in less than 30 min. Maybe you have something crazy like that going on. Hope this helps brother.

HUTCH
Old 05-31-2006, 02:49 PM
jdback19
4th Gear Member

The only electrical problem i have had so far on my stang is one day after a good down pour the blinker randomly came on. I stuck on the left turn signal when i turned it to the right blinker and back to nuetral the left would come on?? It kind of fixed it self it just stopped??
Old 05-31-2006, 04:05 PM
SOLDSHORT
5th Gear Member

when my friend got his gt, ever time he started the car the drivers window would go down.
Old 05-31-2006, 04:10 PM
Kargstang

Thanks everyone for the help and support. Needless to say I am stressed that I have gotten myself a lemon and have been reading up on the Arizona Lemon Laws just in case.

As someone said earlier, the e-brake doesn't need to be engaged for the top to work. And no, I do not have any mods on it yet. I only owned it for 6 days before it started acting up!

The dealer called me this morning and joked about how my car was possessed -- I wasn't really amused. Apparently they were going through troubleshooting steps with a headquarters Ford tech/engineer yesterday and one of the steps had them disconnect the electrical -- the problem was that even when disconnected, the power windows were still able to go up and down when they should not have had power. This led the tech at Ford to state it was a problem with the main junction box and that it had to be replaced. One was ordered and it should be here either today or tomorrow.

Sound possible? I was leaning toward bad/crossed/shorted wiring somewhere but he thinks its the actual junction box. He may be right, I had noticed but dismissed some earlier odd activity -- one time the lower fuel warning had engaged even though I knew I had over 1/3 of a tank left (it later went off) and one time my wife was in the passenger seat when the passenger air bag shutoff engaged even though she weighs 123 pounds. It turned back on after a minute. I chalked those up to minor glitches / one-time kind of things but now it's got me thinking.

Karg
Old 05-31-2006, 04:29 PM
rebelyell06
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Kargstang

one time the lower fuel warning had engaged even though I knew I had over 1/3 of a tank left (it later went off)
That is a problem with the gas tank entirely. I gotta take mine back in to get it fixed. Might want to inform them of that before you pick the car back up. They may have to replace the entire gas tank. Thats what they told me they would have to do to mine if it messed up again. The passenger air bag turning off is common in my car because my passengers tend to move around in the seat causing the weight to shift off of the sensor. Once they sit normally again it comes back on.

Quick Reply: 2006 Mustang GT Electrical Problem