Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-22-2015, 03:57 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Factory tint question

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 10:03 PM
John_688
1st Gear Member

Default Factory tint question

Anyone know what the % of tinting is on the standard factory tint ? I've searched this forum and have seen quotes ranging from 35% to 70%. Where I'm from, legal minimum is 50% on driver and passenger doors , and no limit on the rest.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:04 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Factory tint question

Legal tint % depends on the state you are in. But the tint that comes on the windows from the factory, I believe is 2% or 3%. Nothing drastic, just something so the windows arent clear.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:25 AM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

When I got my windows tinted they said the film they were putting on was 30%, but that combined with the factory tint the windows would actually check out with a policeman's meter as 27% (legal limit in TX for side windows is 25%). So it's pretty minimal as Blinkage said.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:30 AM
Black06stang
4th Gear Member

yup, its 3%
Old 06-14-2006, 02:33 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Yeah I did good, I got 5% tint on my windows put on about a week ago... + the 3% factory.. so Im down to about 2% right now, and I LOVE it. Illegal but hey.. how many cops actually pull people over simply for tint..? Not enough for me to worry about it. [8D]
Old 06-14-2006, 03:13 AM
TempleOfDog

ORIGINAL: bl1nkage

Illegal but hey.. how many cops actually pull people over simply for tint..? Not enough for me to worry about it. [8D]
I'm not sure if other states require brake tags, but in Louisiana we do. The guy that I got mine from told me that if the State Police pull you over it's a $100 ticket for each window. Again, that's louisisna law, not sure what it is in other states.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:10 PM
sonji29

Default 8% Factory Tint on a 2013 ???

I am having an issue getting my window tint to the legal limit of at least 32 for the state of NC. According to all of the window tint people I have spoken to, there should not be any more than 2-3% of factory tint already in the windows of my 2013 Mustang V-6. An outside company put 30% on for a car show before I bought the car from the showroom and the window tint meter reading was 22% on the driver's window and 24% on the back window....So I had that taken off and wanted a 40% tint put on so that if the 8% was actually there, then it would end up being 32% and hence..LEGAL. Well, the guy put on 38%, without my permission, saying that he couldn't get a 40% and that it would only bring it down to around 35% and I'd be legal. NOT the case...after taking it to the police station to have them check it..we had 30%! Again I told them there is obviously 8% in my windows!!! Is this normal? and what percent is available for me to still be legal? The tint guy says 45% is the next level up. I am just frustrated and want to be legal!!! Any advice would be appreciated Thanks
Old 08-01-2014, 03:51 PM
jz
3rd Gear Member

Would you really get a ticket for a 2% difference? I would stay with what you have now. I really can't imagine that the cops in your area are so bored that they will enforce a 2% over the legal limit. I have 15% installed on my car, and I have never received a ticket for it. 35% is what's legal here.

You're the first person I've ever heard of who actually took their car to the police station to find out if their tint was legal or not.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:53 AM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jz
Would you really get a ticket for a 2% difference? I would stay with what you have now. I really can't imagine that the cops in your area are so bored that they will enforce a 2% over the legal limit. I have 15% installed on my car, and I have never received a ticket for it. 35% is what's legal here.

You're the first person I've ever heard of who actually took their car to the police station to find out if their tint was legal or not.
In all my years of public safety and of all my friends and coworkers in law enforcement - I don't know any of them that have a tint meter. Its just not that big of a deal.

Nobody is going to mess with a car unless it is clearly over-tinted.
Old 08-02-2014, 01:17 PM
sbradle4
2nd Gear Member

I have had 15% on every vehicle I have ever owned, and not one when I was pulled over have I been told my tint was illegal. Here in TN the legal limit is 35%. However, I did add the Raxiom LED reverse lights because I couldn't see a darn thing at night, lol.

Quick Reply: Factory tint question