Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

2005 - 2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by Latemodel Restoration

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 06-13-2006, 10:03 PM   #1
John_688
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2013 Mustang V6 AT
Default Factory tint question

Anyone know what the % of tinting is on the standard factory tint ? I've searched this forum and have seen quotes ranging from 35% to 70%. Where I'm from, legal minimum is 50% on driver and passenger doors , and no limit on the rest.

Thanks in advance for any help.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
John_688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 12:04 AM   #2
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Factory tint question

Legal tint % depends on the state you are in. But the tint that comes on the windows from the factory, I believe is 2% or 3%. Nothing drastic, just something so the windows arent clear.

bl1nk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 02:25 AM   #3
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

When I got my windows tinted they said the film they were putting on was 30%, but that combined with the factory tint the windows would actually check out with a policeman's meter as 27% (legal limit in TX for side windows is 25%). So it's pretty minimal as Blinkage said.

07 GT vert; torch red w/ KR int; 5 spd; cloth roof; IUP; comfort group; GT app pkg; 64W; premium trim pkg

Traded in: 05 V6 premium vert; black/ crimson red
Tres Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 02:30 AM   #4
Black06stang
4th Gear Member

yup, its 3%
-15% tint, tinted turn signals
-Roush window louvers
-Dual Flowmaster ATs w/ h-pipe
-SRB Strut Bar
-7" touchcreen monitor w/carpc
-18" black bullits/nitto 555s
Black06stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 02:33 AM   #5
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Yeah I did good, I got 5% tint on my windows put on about a week ago... + the 3% factory.. so Im down to about 2% right now, and I LOVE it. Illegal but hey.. how many cops actually pull people over simply for tint..? Not enough for me to worry about it. [8D]

bl1nk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 03:13 AM   #6
TempleOfDog

Quote:
ORIGINAL: bl1nkage

Illegal but hey.. how many cops actually pull people over simply for tint..? Not enough for me to worry about it. [8D]
I'm not sure if other states require brake tags, but in Louisiana we do. The guy that I got mine from told me that if the State Police pull you over it's a $100 ticket for each window. Again, that's louisisna law, not sure what it is in other states.
Changes to come
First Time Stang Owner
TempleOfDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:10 PM   #7
sonji29

Vehicle: 2013 Ford Mustang
Default 8% Factory Tint on a 2013 ???

I am having an issue getting my window tint to the legal limit of at least 32 for the state of NC. According to all of the window tint people I have spoken to, there should not be any more than 2-3% of factory tint already in the windows of my 2013 Mustang V-6. An outside company put 30% on for a car show before I bought the car from the showroom and the window tint meter reading was 22% on the driver's window and 24% on the back window....So I had that taken off and wanted a 40% tint put on so that if the 8% was actually there, then it would end up being 32% and hence..LEGAL. Well, the guy put on 38%, without my permission, saying that he couldn't get a 40% and that it would only bring it down to around 35% and I'd be legal. NOT the case...after taking it to the police station to have them check it..we had 30%! Again I told them there is obviously 8% in my windows!!! Is this normal? and what percent is available for me to still be legal? The tint guy says 45% is the next level up. I am just frustrated and want to be legal!!! Any advice would be appreciated Thanks
sonji29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 03:51 PM   #8
jz
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 06 mustang GT

Would you really get a ticket for a 2% difference? I would stay with what you have now. I really can't imagine that the cops in your area are so bored that they will enforce a 2% over the legal limit. I have 15% installed on my car, and I have never received a ticket for it. 35% is what's legal here.

You're the first person I've ever heard of who actually took their car to the police station to find out if their tint was legal or not.

06 GT. Steeda Hood, Bumper, F&R sway bars, strut tower brace, struts/shocks, sport springs, HD strut mounts, UDP's, delete plates. Hawk Brake pads. Power Slot Rotors. Goodridge Braided brake Lines. BMR combo UCA, combo/adj LCA's, LCA relocation brackets, adj panhard bar, panhard bar brace. Pro 5.0 shifter. K&N CAI. Magnaflow Magnapacks cat back. FRPP 4.10's. BAMACHIPS SCT 93 tune.
jz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 08:53 AM   #9
cruisin5268d
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2010 Mustang GT Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz View Post
Would you really get a ticket for a 2% difference? I would stay with what you have now. I really can't imagine that the cops in your area are so bored that they will enforce a 2% over the legal limit. I have 15% installed on my car, and I have never received a ticket for it. 35% is what's legal here.

You're the first person I've ever heard of who actually took their car to the police station to find out if their tint was legal or not.
In all my years of public safety and of all my friends and coworkers in law enforcement - I don't know any of them that have a tint meter. Its just not that big of a deal.

Nobody is going to mess with a car unless it is clearly over-tinted.
cruisin5268d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 01:17 PM   #10
sbradle4
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2010 Ford Mustang GT

I have had 15% on every vehicle I have ever owned, and not one when I was pulled over have I been told my tint was illegal. Here in TN the legal limit is 35%. However, I did add the Raxiom LED reverse lights because I couldn't see a darn thing at night, lol.
sbradle4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 01:17 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
0509, 06, 09, 2006, 2011, factory, ford, louisiana, mustang, side, stock, tint, tinted, windows, wondow