Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-22-2015, 03:57 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

TECH: Dealing with Window Tint Scratching...

Old 07-08-2006, 02:05 AM
5 speed GT

Default RE: TECH: Dealing with Window Tint Scratching...

in order to minimize the existing scratches and to clean tint in general, buy some Plexus; it is sold in some Honda motorcycle shops and you may find it on line for Jeep tops. It is specificially for plastic convertible windows but works on all plastics such as this. It fills in the scratches and makes the surface really slick afterward as well as putting back some moisture. It will work wonders and may prevent some scratches in the future.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:22 PM
MobyDickDog
2nd Gear Member

I see after several of my posts that we are still saying "........scratches in my window tint..." Folks, it is scratching the window glass. If you have a 2005 or 2006 Mustang GT you have scratches in your window glass.

Saying it is scratching your window tint is not really the problem. You had scratches on your window BEFORE the window tint was installed. And you are going to get more on the window tint unless you install felt or moleskin or whatever other product guys are using.

Old 07-14-2006, 08:46 PM
BigNasty06
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LAK3RS

I think It's Gay. I have an 06 S197 and I have 5% ALL THE WAY AROUND. My Back, and Quarter Windows are perfect, but my front two or Scratching BAD, and I also have a Conv. and the Driver window is having trouble coming up sometimes. I took it to my dealer and he said they would take a look at it on tomorrow. And more in likely It was Dirt getting in there. But I told him straight up that I didn't wanna have to get my mom involved with this (I'm 17), But they wouldnt really take me serious, and the car is only 3 months old. I was acting very polite and nice to him but he kept on saying it was my FAULT, because of dirt. O yeah I also told him bout the Molding kit thing but well see what happens. So I'll post tommorow To let yall all know whats up.

- LAK3RS
So what happened?
Old 07-15-2006, 12:35 AM
ScreamingYellow
2nd Gear Member

I took my wifes clear fingernail polish and applied it to the top edge of the tint. Helps to protect it and is cheap.
Old 07-15-2006, 03:18 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

When I decided to get my windows tinted, I went to two different shops to talk to them about it. Both shops swore up and down that no extra felt or pad is required on the windows, that they had installed tint on many new Mustangs and had never had any come back with scratches. I went with the shop that offered a lifetime warranty and also had a contract with a local Ford dealership to do all their tinting. When I talked to them about all the reports on Mustang forums about scratching, they suggested the film that other shops are installing may be cheap film. All I know is I've had my windows tinted for over 6 months now and raise and lower the driver's side window at least twice a day to get in and out of the parking garage at work. The tint still looks perfect. I'm certainly not saying everyone is crazy, this problem is obviously very real based on the tons of reports about it. But for some reason I have had no problems at all on mine, and neither has the shop where I had mine done.
Old 07-16-2006, 04:05 PM
Stangrunner06
1st Gear Member

The product used by your installer, was it 3M or some other? That may be the key to this issue, If we all find out what material was used in problem and non problem cars, we might be able to narrow it down.

Couldn't hurt to try!!

Maybe someone can start a poll in both 4.0 and GT forums to find out.[sm=lildevil.gif]
Old 07-17-2006, 03:39 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

I actually had the dealership I bought the car from fix the problem. They used felt , and I had to get the tint on one window replaced (at my own expense), but it worked. My dealership has been trying to make up for another issue I had with them, so you might not have the same luck, but it's worth a shot.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:21 PM
amystery2u
3rd Gear Member

I took mine to the dealership right after I had my windows retinted because of the scratches. They said they wanted to see the actual scratches (go figure). But the service tech said that if an OEM part causes damage to an aftermarket part (spefically tint) that it would be covered under warranty and the warranty would also cover the replacement of the tint.

That was a couple months ago. My windows are very scratched now but I have not had the chance to go sit at the dealership for hours while they repair the part.
Old 07-18-2006, 04:24 PM
BigNasty06
2nd Gear Member

Great news Mystery! PLEASE keep us updated! I want to redo the fronts, but not if it's actually the glass that's scratched.

I may have the tint remove and check the windows themselves and then take it to the dealer for replacement windows since I've had the felt installed.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:20 PM
Mustanger
1st Gear Member

How do you actually install the felt and where? pics would be helpful too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TECH: Dealing with Window Tint Scratching...