Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-22-2015, 03:57 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

TECH: Dealing with Window Tint Scratching...

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 11:42 PM
swoosh_stang

Default RE: TECH: Dealing with Window Tint Scratching...

ORIGINAL: Mustanger

How do you actually install the felt and where? pics would be helpful too.
I second that.
Old 07-19-2006, 02:50 PM
Mustanger
1st Gear Member

OK i figured it out. All you have to do is:

1: take off the screw behind the door handle insert.
2: remove top screw on back edge of door holding door panel on.
3: remove inside cover for the side mirror.
4: pull the top edge of the door panel back and as your holding it back just pull out the rubber strip that the window rubs on.
5: now just install whatever felt or moleskin you bought onto the rubber strip and reinstall.

I bought some felt that has an adhesive backing down at Michaels. The adhesive backing seems pretty strong. It comes in 9" by 12" sheets and i cut them into strips that are 1/2" by 12". It takes three strips for each side.

I will follow up with pics of the install when I get my car back from tint shop today.
Old 07-19-2006, 04:22 PM
MobyDickDog
2nd Gear Member

Mustanger,

Other than me taking the entire door panel off (which is not necessary), you did EXACTLY what my wife and I did on her Mustang. We did this last September on her 2006 GT and so far no problems.

Oh, and we live in the heat of Phoenix Arizona. No problems yet with the felt from Michaels.

Old 07-20-2006, 01:48 AM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Morpheus

The product used by your installer, was it 3M or some other? That may be the key to this issue, If we all find out what material was used in problem and non problem cars, we might be able to narrow it down.
The film they used is "Llumar". Here's their web site:

http://www.llumar.com/

I'm not sure which exact film they used, the receipt says "ST30ATW". I think it was the Stealth. It was 30% all the way around, has a lifetime warranty and was 150 bucks. The place that installed it is apparently just in the Dallas area, here's their web site:

http://www.moonshadowwindowtint.com/

These guys have been around for many years. My wife had one of her cars tinted there about 10 years ago.
Old 07-23-2006, 07:29 PM
BlkonBlk
1st Gear Member

I installed the Mole Skin today and took a few pics to compliment some of the instructions given by other members. Here you go:

To loosen the door panel remove the screw on the door handle.

Then loosen the screw on the side of the panel.

Next remove the corner panel, this just pops right out.

Now you can pull the top of the panel towards you to access the plastic window track. Then just pull it off like so

Once you have the track off, apply the moleskin or felt.

Here is the moleskin attached to the plastic track.

As per the moleskin directions I used some steel wool to coarsen the plastic track. I then used some rubbing alcohol to clean the surface and simply applied the moleskin. It was all fairly simple except for getting the door panel back on. It took some muscle to get the edge of the panel back in place but other than that it was a straight forward install.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:23 PM
Stangrunner06
1st Gear Member

That moleskin looks alot like the fuzzy side of VELCROS, not the loop side. I say this cause we use alot of velcros where I work and it looks like I might be able to use it. If you are familiar with velcros, would you agree?
Old 07-26-2006, 11:11 AM
BlkonBlk
1st Gear Member

Yeah it did look a little like velcro but it wasn’t as fuzzy. I was concerned about using glue that would smear with the heat down hear in Miami. I had heard good things about the moleskin regarding the glue they used and not smearing with the heat. So far no problems.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:16 PM
amystery2u
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BigNasty06

Great news Mystery! PLEASE keep us updated! I want to redo the fronts, but not if it's actually the glass that's scratched.

I may have the tint remove and check the windows themselves and then take it to the dealer for replacement windows since I've had the felt installed.
Went by the dealership this past Thusday 7/27. Spoke to the same lady as before and she went to get her service manager who politely told me she was incorrect that aftermarket tint is not their problem. If I had them tinted from Ford it would be covered. So, I went back to my tinter and he has already ordered a few moleskin kits and is going to redo my windows under his warranty. I hope to get the retinting done this week. And for anyone ion the Middle TN area, it was Alexander Ford. They will never see my Mustang again, EVER.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:50 AM
Scottbert

ORIGINAL: BlkonBlk

I installed the Mole Skin today and took a few pics to compliment some of the instructions given by other members. Here you go:
Thanks for posting this! Your instructions were 100 times better than the ones that came with the moleskin...
Old 07-31-2006, 08:59 PM
BigNasty06
2nd Gear Member

Anyone remove the scratched tint, only to find that it was actually the window that was scratched? If that's the case, I would fully excpect the dealer to replace the windows. Anyone?

Quick Reply: TECH: Dealing with Window Tint Scratching...