Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-22-2015, 03:57 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

TECH: Dealing with Window Tint Scratching...

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 09:02 PM
BigNasty06
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: TECH: Dealing with Window Tint Scratching...

I have read posts from people who said that they had the dealer tint the windows and haven't had any scratching.

Any chance that these contracted tint shops are installing felt when they install the tint?

I go to perhaps the best tint shop in Colorado and have NEVER had a vehicle (5 or 6 hvehicles) scratch until this '06 Pony. [:@]
Old 07-31-2006, 09:33 PM
Rrruss
1st Gear Member

I had the dealer look at the scratches I am seeing on the inside of my passenger window.
He is supposed to call me to bring it in when the regional Ford rep makes his monthly visit to make a decision if they will replace it.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:51 AM
BigNasty06
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Rrruss

I had the dealer look at the scratches I am seeing on the inside of my passenger window.
He is supposed to call me to bring it in when the regional Ford rep makes his monthly visit to make a decision if they will replace it.
So you don't have tint, correct? How can they not replace the windows? Christ, show them this thread!

I may file a notice on the class action lawsuit site. They got Dodge to move on the ball joints recall.

Old 08-01-2006, 03:28 AM
Silencer06
2nd Gear Member

Location: Raised in Chicago; living near St. Louis in Troy, IL

ORIGINAL: Tres Wright

ORIGINAL: Morpheus

The product used by your installer, was it 3M or some other? That may be the key to this issue, If we all find out what material was used in problem and non problem cars, we might be able to narrow it down.
The film they used is "Llumar". Here's their web site:

http://www.llumar.com/

I'm not sure which exact film they used, the receipt says "ST30ATW". I think it was the Stealth. It was 30% all the way around, has a lifetime warranty and was 150 bucks. The place that installed it is apparently just in the Dallas area, here's their web site:

http://www.moonshadowwindowtint.com/

These guys have been around for many years. My wife had one of her cars tinted there about 10 years ago.

The tinting company that did my windows uses this same Llumar product and swears by it...that it's the toughest tinting material on the market and more resistent to scratching than any other. Unfortunately though, I started noticing minor scratches less than two weeks after having them tinted (and it's NOT the glass....the car was tinted less than a week after I bought it and there were none present). I spoke to the guy at the tinting company (who does all the work for local Ford dealerships and came highly recommended) and he also said they've never had anybody with a new Mustang return to him with these problems, so I don't know why it's select few. But that doesn't necessarily mean others aren't having problems -- only that they haven't reported it. Maybe I'm more picky than other owners and want my $200 investment to last more than two weeks. In any case, this guy said HE is going to order the moleskin for my car and he is going to replace the tint on both driver and passenger windows at NO exta cost to me because he stands by his reputation and doesn't want it tainted. Real fair guy -- I'll probably slip him a few bucks on the side anyway just for taking care of me.

By the way, I don't think this problem has anything to do with dusty environments -- I live in Seattle and, well, uhhh, in case you haven't heard, it rains all the time here and everything is green! Very little dust in the air. But I digress.....

[IMG]local://upfiles/37824/E090EE9865194F7FB5F9AA2D958410A9.jpg[/IMG]
Old 08-01-2006, 03:26 PM
MobyDickDog
2nd Gear Member

I'd bet you a Starbucks coffee that your glass is scratched.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:45 PM
BigNasty06
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MobyDickDog

I couldn't drink a Starbucks for two weeks leading up to the Superbowl being a Steeler fan! LOL! When we got to the Detroit airport Monday, that was the first place I went. I was having friggin withdrawls!
Old 08-01-2006, 04:07 PM
Silencer06
2nd Gear Member

Location: Raised in Chicago; living near St. Louis in Troy, IL

I won't be surprised if it is because that's just my luck, but at the same time, I would be surprised if it is because I only had the car a week before tinting the windows. I'll take that bet! Problem is, how do I ship a full cup of coffee to wherever you are without it spilling and also manage to keep it hot?

Seriously, if ANY glass would scratch from a cheap piece of rubber within a week's time of ownership, you better believe I'd be in the dealership pounding on someone's desk.
Old 08-01-2006, 05:52 PM
BigNasty06
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Silencer06

I won't be surprised if it is because that's just my luck, but at the same time, I would be surprised if it is because I only had the car a week before tinting the windows. I'll take that bet! Problem is, how do I ship a full cup of coffee to wherever you are without it spilling and also manage to keep it hot?

Seriously, if ANY glass would scratch from a cheap piece of rubber within a week's time of ownership, you better believe I'd be in the dealership pounding on someone's desk.
Send him a Starbucks gift card. )
Old 08-01-2006, 06:59 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

I have this same problem, I got my windows tinted 5% and waited the 6 days they told me to wait. First time I rolled it down, I had a huge 9" scratch on my passenger window. It is getting progressively worse as time goes on (that was about 6 weeks ago) and now I have close to 9 scratches on my passenger and probably 5 or 6 on my drivers side. I took it back to the tinter and he said he wouldnt replace is because it is most likely something in the door causing the scratches and it isnt his fault. So my car is due for 5k check up here pretty soon, Im going to make them check this and see what they say. They may not replace the tint but if the window is scratched you can bet your *** their replacing that.

Old 08-05-2006, 11:33 PM
alumacomp
2nd Gear Member

Installed my Moleskin. With the instructions and tips from this thread it was very straightforward.

Interestingly on the passenger door (which was the side that had the most scratches in the tint) there were clear signs of wear/abrasion on the "wiper"....this on a car with just 260 miles where the windows have been up and down maybe 10 times!?!?! Somethings not right.

Fortunately my tint installer is replacing the tint at no charge...mainly because when I went to see him about the scratches I did not lay blame with his people, rather spoke about what others were saying about a potential problem with the Mustang.

Oh ya and at $30 for two 40" strips, I need to buy stock in Moleskin

Quick Reply: TECH: Dealing with Window Tint Scratching...