Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-22-2015, 03:57 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

TECH: Dealing with Window Tint Scratching...

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 03:52 AM
Tubra
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: TECH: Dealing with Window Tint Scratching...

I am definitely buying some strips...
Old 09-29-2006, 08:20 PM
captainxanax
1st Gear Member

My first stop when I got back into Flagstaff from buying my Mustang was at the tint shop. It was Friday about 5pm, asked if I could get "squeezed" into Saturday's schedule.... After seeing a new 06 black GT, they got me in... (had to give them the car all day, but soooooo worth it).

I used Diamond Auto Glass with Solar Guard. Did a hell of a job. They had done previous vechicals and would take any car there in the future, plus, I would refer 100%. They gave me no info on the potential scratching.

I drove, now at 900 miles, and started to see scratches. At the same time, I began to read the forums as a guest. I put two & two together really quick...

Returned to Diamond Auto Glass. It did not see new to them at all. They had one customer (dealer referred) with multiple stangs have to be done 3+ times... Diamond pay'd for it due to customer relations, ie dealer... (this is all fair and square). This is what they offered me:

A free retint, after that I am on my own (strip & retint is $85 for both fronts)
(or)
They will strip the tint and leave me naked.

I informed of them of the moleskin. They informed this is happening with other "new" autos.

What I have decided to do:

1. order moleskin
2. provide this thread & info to Diamond in Flagstaff
3. retint & have moleskin installed
4. keep windows up until I feel lucky (car is getting parked soon anyways)
5. test the moleskin & tint by using my windows as normal

#6. I am going to write a complaint & reimbursement (moleskin + further tints) "form" letter & send to Ford.
#7. I am going to call Ford on a very regular basis.
#8. Maintain a good relationship with my dealers/salespersons

I think the last three are most important. I know I am new, but we should really hit Ford up for fixing this problem. Tinting on a car like this is more than likely going to be done, why would they not only scratch us up, but not disclose an obvious change in parts, causing a major detailing disappointment and additional customer costs????

thanks for all the info, this forum is great, hope I didn't ramble to much, I am just upset.
Old 09-30-2006, 12:42 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Well, like most..I have been watching my tint like a hawk. In preparation for the scratches, I had purchased the blue-backed felt like the first week I had my Stang. Last night, under bright light...I noticed a tiny scratch close to the handle on the driver side. Saw the same on the passenger side...ny the way...Ipurchased my Stang in Jul 06 and have around 800 miles (not a whole lot). Have lowered the window may be 20 times (after all it's a convertible). So, anyway, without hesitation and went ahead and placed the felt on the rubber thinggy. The process was flawless thanks to the photos and explanations given here. Just wanted to share my come to "Jesus" story with all of you.
Old 09-30-2006, 03:15 PM
Silencer06
2nd Gear Member

Location: Raised in Chicago; living near St. Louis in Troy, IL

ORIGINAL: TPony

Well, like most..I have been watching my tint like a hawk. In preparation for the scratches, I had purchased the blue-backed felt like the first week I had my Stang. Last night, under bright light...I noticed a tiny scratch close to the handle on the driver side. Saw the same on the passenger side...ny the way...Ipurchased my Stang in Jul 06 and have around 800 miles (not a whole lot). Have lowered the window may be 20 times (after all it's a convertible). So, anyway, without hesitation and went ahead and placed the felt on the rubber thinggy. The process was flawless thanks to the photos and explanations given here. Just wanted to share my come to "Jesus" story with all of you.

Don't know what type of product that "blue-backed felt" is that you're referring to, but I can attest to the fact that MOLESKIN is definitely a product that works. You'll see in my post earlier on this thread that I am one of the owners who had scratches in my original tint after only a week or so of having the work done. Fortunately the company that did my tint (AutoTrim & Design in Olympia WA...kudos to Casey) was willing to re-do the work in the name of good quality customer service. They stripped the old (a relative term) tint off, installed Moleskin at no extra cost to me, and retinted the windows. That was done over two months ago -- I drive my Mustang regularly and hardly ever use the A/C, meaning my windows go up and down alot. To date, I have noticed ZERO scratches on the new tint, thanks to the Moleskin.

Summary: if you're using anything other than MOLESKIN to protect your tint, I believe you're using a lesser product. Moleskin DOES work.
Old 09-30-2006, 04:45 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Meant to say glue-backed black felt. Some folks have used it and stated that has worked for them. No questions about the effectiveness of Moleskin, and re-reading, my post I don't think I said anything bad or otherwise about the Moleskin. [sm=icon_stickpoke.gif]
Old 09-30-2006, 04:49 PM
Silencer06
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TPony

Meant to say glue-backed black felt. Some folks have used it and stated that has worked for them. No questions about the effectiveness of Moleskin, and re-reading, my post I don't think I said anything bad or otherwise about the Moleskin. [sm=icon_stickpoke.gif]

No, no...I knew that. I was just helping out by saying that if you weren't familiar with Moleskin, it's great stuff. Wasn't sure what the blue stuff was that you referred to, but now I know it was a typo.
Old 09-30-2006, 04:50 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]
Old 10-03-2006, 01:49 AM
jpeng16990
1st Gear Member

Ok so I just spent 15 minutes reading four pages of very informative discussion. I wanted to tint my 05 but am now hesitant. Has anyone had problems with scratching after installing the moleskin? If not, then Ill just get that done as a precautionary step before getting the windows tinted. Thanks.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:31 AM
Silencer06
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jpeng16990

Ok so I just spent 15 minutes reading four pages of very informative discussion. I wanted to tint my 05 but am now hesitant. Has anyone had problems with scratching after installing the moleskin? If not, then Ill just get that done as a precautionary step before getting the windows tinted. Thanks.

Definitely get the moleskin done first...or at the same time. It works.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:33 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

I noticed the same problem on my 05. I was wanting to get darker tint anyway so I had them retinted. I had read this post a couple days weeks before and went ahead an ordered the moleskin and installed it. I had a different place do the tint this time and I have been using the windows almost everyday after cure time. No scratches yet. So....moleskin works and the windows DO NOT HAVE SCRATCHES, IT IS THE TINT THAT IS SCRATCHED! Good luck all!

Quick Reply: TECH: Dealing with Window Tint Scratching...