Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to make Garage Door opener work through your highbeams

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 01:33 AM
MikeVistaBlue06
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: How to make Garage Door opener work through your highbeams

I got one of the fancy auto dimming mirrors with the compass/temp and garage door button built in, installed on my car. My garage door button is in the middle of my electrchomic mirror.

Your solution however is very ingenious!

One question since I am an EE. Are you limiting the current through those connections you made to your remote? Might want to consider a resistor in series to drop the current, but keep the action of it tripping the sensor--just a suggestion mind you, but I know they don't run off of 12V!
Old 07-05-2006, 01:56 AM
backinblack06
3rd Gear Member

Sweeeet that is a real cool idea. I think I might try it, I don't think it's idiotic or ridiculous. I bet I could impress alota people with that. I know it's only a garage door trick but so what, everyone would still love it. Why? Cause it's something therye cars dont have.

But, yea I'm also kind of concerned about the voltage are you sure its the same ?
Old 07-05-2006, 02:02 AM
Mustanger
1st Gear Member

Sorry I forgot to add about the voltage. I use a genie remote and it runs off of 12V, so no need to limit the voltage to it.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:02 AM
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

I bet @ night you go down the road opening every one's doors that are on same freq as yours, LOL.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:19 AM
Mustanger
1st Gear Member

Thats not how garage door openers work. Once power is put through a garage remote it only sends the signal once no matter how long you hold the button. For example if you go out of range of your garage door and press the button and hold it and walk back in range it will not open because the signal has already been sent. And I dont use my highbeams, they are for aceholes that are scared of driving in low light conditions. There is absolutely no need for highs in residential areas and pretty much everywhere else for that matter.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:23 AM
backinblack06
3rd Gear Member

+1 They are good though If you live out in B.F.E. and there are no streetlights and tons of wildlife. If I didnt have high beems I probably wouldn't drive there at night at all.

Thanks for all the great info. I think I'm going to have to try this. My car didnt come with the auto dim mirror crap and I can't justify spending $300 bucks on a reflective piece of glass and a compass. I could spend $300 on something that actualy enhances the car. "If it's free It's Me" lol thanks mustanger
Old 07-05-2006, 02:27 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: backinblack06
"If it's free It's Me" lol
LOL I feel ya man... definately got that **** right
Old 07-05-2006, 02:30 AM
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mustanger

Thats not how garage door openers work. Once power is put through a garage remote it only sends the signal once no matter how long you hold the button. For example if you go out of range of your garage door and press the button and hold it and walk back in range it will not open because the signal has already been sent. And I dont use my highbeams, they are for aceholes that are scared of driving in low light conditions. There is absolutely no need for highs in residential areas and pretty much everywhere else for that matter.

I use my HBs all the time. So **** you for calling me an acehole .
Old 07-05-2006, 02:32 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FrostByte

ORIGINAL: Mustanger

I use my HBs all the time. So **** you for calling me an acehole .
Easy boys, this is one of those times to pick your battles

I also noticed that if something is bleeped in the post, its not bleeped if you click quote and while Im typing in here.. it actually tells you what he said... thats pretty wierd.. ok Im done now..
Old 07-05-2006, 02:33 AM
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

Sorry, people make rediculous statements & mass insult others **** me off.

Quick Reply: How to make Garage Door opener work through your highbeams