Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattle in the Dash

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 04:23 PM
zjdoran7
1st Gear Member

Default Rattle in the Dash

Well this is the most nit-picky thing, but it bugs the F*** out of me, does anyone else have a rattle in the passanger side dash above the air bag in their 2006 mustang? I hear it when going over gravel or a bump, it sounds like someone is rubbing styrafoam against styrafoam! it annoys me, but anyways... has anyone else had this problem yet?
Old 07-07-2006, 04:26 PM
mhahnjr
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Rattle in the Dash

yes, and many from the looks of it. Take it to the dealer and ask them to fixie it right up
Old 07-07-2006, 04:27 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: zjdoran7

Well this is the most nit-picky thing, but it bugs the F*** out of me, does anyone else have a rattle in the passanger side dash above the air bag in their 2006 mustang? I hear it when going over gravel or a bump, it sounds like someone is rubbing styrafoam against styrafoam! it annoys me, but anyways... has anyone else had this problem yet?
Nope, mine is on the driver's side...
Old 07-07-2006, 04:44 PM
kenrsr

Mine has been in the shop 4 times getting ready for 5th time 20 some hours without car. much as I paid for the car I refuse to settle for a car that rattles. The service department has been great trying to fix problem but without success. In fact I think they made a few more.
Old 07-07-2006, 04:57 PM
zjdoran7
1st Gear Member

Yeah... I took mine back to the dealer once before, supposedly they couldn't HEAR it so they didn't do anything about it.... I think I'm going to put a thin slice of rubber between the dash and airbag in a non-visible area...why not?
Old 07-07-2006, 09:34 PM
JRegSC

I had the same problems with rattles on the right side of my dash. I took the car into the dealer and asked them to fix the rattle that seemed to be coming from the passenger air vent. Later that day they returned the car to me and told me that rattle had been coming from a loose clip in the A Pillar; that they had reattached the clip; and that this had fixed the rattle. Driving the car home from the dealer I heard the same rattle. I turned right around and went back to the dealer to explain that the problem was still there. The service manager had me take a ride with the technician who had worked on the car to show him the rattle. The technician identified the rattle in the dash and told me that he would use "anti-squeak" tape to get rid of the noise. This apparantly did not work because when I got the car back I was told that they had replaced the vent and air bag holder with one from another car and that this had gotten rid of the rattle. Driving home from the dealer again I heard the same rattle. I called the dealership and explained that I was still having the problem. They told me to drop the car off and they would provide a rental until they figured out the problem. It took them 4 days this time with the car but once I did it get it back was rattle free. It took me three trips to the dealer but the problem is finally gone and I am much happier with the car. Just wear the dealer out until they get it right.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:50 PM
flguy

I solved a rattle on my own today that might be the cause of much annoyance on this forum. My rattle was coming from both door panels. Sounded like something to do with the door handle mechanism. When I pounded on the door panel itself I could hear the rattle, made the same sound driving over rough pavement.

The problem is with the little piece of plastic visible behind the door handles. It's about the size of a credit card, and it moves back and forth slightly. It covers the main bolt used to remove the door panel I guess. When you tap that peice of plastic you will hear the rattle sound. You need to pop it off the door (comes off easy with a screw driver, there are three small clips that hold it on) and put some weather strip or other spongy substace on the back of the plastic and pop it back in. Voila. Rattle is gone. Apply to both doors.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:54 PM
jerseystang07
4th Gear Member

No rattles here! -Knock on wood-
Old 12-20-2006, 08:35 PM
viking396
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kenrsr

Mine has been in the shop 4 times getting ready for 5th time 20 some hours without car. much as I paid for the car I refuse to settle for a car that rattles. The service department has been great trying to fix problem but without success. In fact I think they made a few more.
My wife says I'm completely insane and she doesn't hear rattles, she's broken. They drive me nuts, mine has the right side dash rattle and one in the passenger side rear and both doors rattle. Mine goes in next week weather permitting.