Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ELECTRONICS DISCUSSION... Audio, Visual, Lighting...

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 02:04 AM
backinblack06
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: ELECTRONICS DISCUSSION... Audio, Visual, Lighting...

Yea, It needs some sort of 5v resistor. It's 5v actually not 7v. I was told by numerous people that you don't need one if you don't want. The popping noise at turn will not hurt anything It just gets annoying after a while thats all. I went to radio shack and couldnt find a 5v resistor so have to find some electronic shop that does. I really don't notice it anymore I guess I'm used to it, but soon I will be replacing everything anyways so I think I can deal with it for now.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:27 PM
RoadLizard
1st Gear Member

Got rid of my skipper 500 today. Had my kenwood sirius deck installed and it looks really great. One question though, although the base seems good, I can't feel a lot coming from the two big black speaker covers in the bottom portion of the doors. Is it possible the installer didn't hook up the subs?
Old 08-10-2006, 03:59 PM
bchoice

It is possible, many of the installers out there don't know crap. Especially when trying to integrate with existing equipment, they just want to sell all new stuff. Do you hear a pop when you turn the stereo on? Is there a separate subwoofer control in the head unit? You might have to pull the radio and have a look?
Old 08-10-2006, 04:23 PM
RoadLizard
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bchoice

It is possible, many of the installers out there don't know crap. Especially when trying to integrate with existing equipment, they just want to sell all new stuff. Do you hear a pop when you turn the stereo on? Is there a separate subwoofer control in the head unit? You might have to pull the radio and have a look?
No pop when I turn the stereo on at all. I checked both turning the power button on/off, as well as starting the car with the power on. No pop.

Here's the deck I had put in:
The KDC-X469 has a built-in 50 watts x 4 amplifier, high-pass & low-pass electronic crossovers and front, rear & non-fading pre-outs for easy system expansion. Its System Q-EX Sound Control offers preset EQ curves like Jazz, Rock, and Pop for customizing your music, and you can also use its bass, midrange, and treble tone controls for further fine-tuning. The KDC-X469 plays CDs, CD-Rs, and CD-RWs, it's SIRIUS satellite-, HD Radio- and Kenwood Music Keg-ready, and Dual-Zone capable. The extra-wide full-color display has a white LED backlight and a large dot matrix readout. A flip-down removable faceplate with carrying case and a grip-type remote control come standard.

Should I be able to drive the door subs with this deck?

Thanks very much for the help!

Old 08-10-2006, 04:38 PM
RoadLizard
1st Gear Member

Just called installer and asked about door subs. He made a few calls and determined that I need two harnesses and that he'd only ordered one of them. He'll have the 2nd harness tomorrow and will correct the problem at that time. Sounded pretty cool as he said I'd be able to turn the door sub levels up and down independent of the main volume!

Thanks again,

RL
Old 08-10-2006, 07:37 PM
bchoice

I'm glad you called them on it. My guess is they were hoping you wouldn't notice. I tried looking up the KDC-X469 and didn't see it in the current lineup so I'm guessing you pulled it from a previous car? I did find the manual and checked out the specs. There is a preamp out that is non-fading, but it does have a level adjustment and LPF with a 50/80/120/Through setting. That will work great for the subs! If you are using the stock speakers then you should use the 120 setting, if you have upgraded the door speakers then 80 would probably be best. The Through setting will probably be too much. Having the level adjustment will make it really easy to tune the sound.

One thing to watch out for is how they connect they S500 sub amps to the preamp outs. I think there is just one preamp input to the two front amps (mono). When they use the Metra wiring harness they will have 2 RCAs and it will look like left and right. I have the S1000 and using the Metra wiring harness gives me one for the front subs and one for the rear subs both mono. I'm guessing one of the RCAs on the wiring harness will be dead since you don't have the S1000. (someone please correct or confirm this as I don't have the S500 and am just making a guess). If they just plug the 2 RCAs from the wiring harness into the non-fading output on your KDC-X469 you will probably get only left or right signal, but not both, coming out of your front subs. This will sound funny and will bum you out. What you need to do is mix the left and right using a Y cable giving you a mixed stereo or mono output to the Metra RCA that goes to the amps. In your case a single female to 2 males Y RCA is what should work.

Please let me know if this is the case for the S500 setup so I'll know if I'm giving the correct advise or full of it.

Good Luck!
Bill
Old 08-10-2006, 07:42 PM
bchoice

Oh yeah, I almost forgot about the popping not poppint. See some of the posts above for the solution to the amp popping. You will need a 5v voltage regulator (couple bucks from radio shack) to be soldered inline from the 12v external amp control wire (pink/black on your radio) to the light blue wires on the Metra wiring harness. If you don't have the regulator you will have annoying pop when you fire up the radio!

Any installer that is any good will know how to do it.

Again, good luck!
Bill
Old 08-17-2006, 04:23 AM
Mjacobsen64

Thank you SO much! I printed out the page from Crutchfield and faxed it to the stereo place that did my installation. They ordered it and installed it for me (for no additional cost) and I love it! I really appreciate the help!

Old 08-17-2006, 11:40 PM
bennihill
2nd Gear Member

el rafa, before i shipped my stang back to the states, i was running two pioneer carbon fiber cone 12's rated 200 watts rms. so total it was around 400 watts rms for my two subs w/ a matching pioneer 800 max/400rms by 2 channel amp running at 2 ohms. it isn't a whopping amount of bass but enough to give you a headache if you listened to it for than 20 minutes at full capacity. on the outside of the car w/ the doors closed you could hear a little bit of a rattle but not too bad and on the inside it sounded perfect. if you don't like the rattle on the outside, just simply locate where its coming from and eliminate it. as long as it sounds good on the inside who cares? you wont hear the the rattle on the inside i promise you w/ a single w3. if you were running a w7 then i don't know....
Old 08-19-2006, 12:53 AM
blacklaw

I get the same thing with my Pioneer AVIC-d2 and my shaker 500. One question, can the pop sound damage the speakers?
ORIGINAL: doode

ORIGINAL: backinblack06

I'm not sure if this is the right place either but no one answered in the A/V. Does anyone know why I get a "pop" sound when my aftermarkert HU turns on. Everything works and is connected right I'm just not sure what is causing this problem.
stock amps only take around 5 volts to turn on
most better aftermarket decks send out a full 12 volts
get a voltage regulator from radio shack for like $3 if it really bugs you, or just toss the stock amps and get a nice 4 channel
mine does it, its annoying but i can live with it

Quick Reply: ELECTRONICS DISCUSSION... Audio, Visual, Lighting...