Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whining Sound

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 02:38 PM
BlackGTCoupe
1st Gear Member

Default Whining Sound

So for the last several months, it has grown with intensity too btw, there is a whining sound that comes from underneath my car at all four corners it seems, when the car is turning. I used to hear it only at low speeds when the wheel was all the way cranked to the right or left. Then it got bad enough and loud enough that i could hear it at like 20 to 25 mph when the wheel is only halfway turned for parking lot maneuvering. And finally now, its at any speed and any time im making a turning. It is a howling/moaning sound followed by a slight vibration i can feel through the steering wheel and under my feet from the car. Is this a common problem? Is there a TSB for it? What are my odds of taking it back to the dealer and having them say that can not do anything about it? any help would be appreciated.

-Christian
Black 2006 GT coupe auto

[IMG]local://upfiles/25135/56A8B6964207427AAA978FB6283C09A9.jpg[/IMG]
Old 07-29-2006, 02:43 PM
biged3
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Whining Sound

It sounds like a bad power steering pump to me... but that is just my opinion. I haven't heard of anyone having this problem yet. I have a whining sound coming from my rear end, but its not the same symptoms as yours.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:36 PM
UbriWONT

mine does the same thing no message on it yet only two things can cause that rear end clutches and spider gears there the only thing working in the rear mine does it to while turning and its def from the rear end. no big deal ill fix it when i do gears.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:28 AM
Skoshi42
2nd Gear Member

Do you have power steering fluid at all?? my car used to make those noises everytime i turn a corner... checked my power steering fluid and it was really low... added some from Napa, then the sound completely went away... somebody forgot to fill my car with power steering fluid.. nor check my vital fluids before they gave me the keys to the car... bastards..
Old 07-31-2006, 02:02 AM
DeFacto300

yeah power steering fluid will help (growing noise) but ive noticed that every car ive driven hums or "whines" when the wheel is turned all the way. if this isnt it then probably bad pump or low fluid. just try turning the wheel all the way and see when it starts and stops.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:20 AM
Ruffnuts
2nd Gear Member

My last Stang had a whining noise under the hood that got more and more louder as I stepped harder and harder on the gas pedal.....
Old 07-31-2006, 02:52 AM
backinblack06
3rd Gear Member

Well there is a TSB out for the clutch pack in the rear end. That is the reason your hearing a whine when turning.

Here, does this sound like your problem.......

2005 Ford Mustang
Bulletin #: 042420
Sequence #: 10014100
Date: 12/13/2004
Component Name: 106000 power train:axle assembly
Make: Ford
Model: Mustang
Year: 2005
Summary: Limited slip axle chatter, shudder, binding sensation, or vibration during low speed turning maneuvers. *tt
Old 07-31-2006, 03:51 AM
Commander Bubbles
2nd Gear Member

My mothers car (Mercury Sable,1998) did that also. It was annoying as hell...and it did it no matter what. The only way to make it go away was to lightly touch the brake. "They" said that it was a bad wheel bearing. Changed it, and it stopped for the most part, but is getting worse again, but not as bad as before. Looks to be another change coming soon.(didn't make sense<---- )
Old 07-31-2006, 11:53 AM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

I was hearing a whining sound when I would drive too fast...

So I stopped and made her get out!

What did you drive before? These mustangs aren't very well insolated and so you may hear road and drive train noise you are not used to hearing. It is perfectly normal for a certain amount of drivetrain noise.

I would take it back to the dealership if your truly concerned!
Old 07-31-2006, 12:26 PM
FastShadow
1st Gear Member

It could actually be something as simple as wheel bearings. They may need to be changed or lubricated. Then again, it could be something else.

Quick Reply: Whining Sound