Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1,833 Miles and First Problem...

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 09:10 PM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

Default 1,833 Miles and First Problem...

New to the board, new to Ford, and new to Mustangs, and so far, my experience has not been that good.

Bought an '06 GT 5-speed a month ago. Well, after the dealer swirled the black paint in three places with a buffer, they delivered the car. And, with a whopping total of 1,833 miles on the odo, it's back in the dealer with its first problem -- which has taken my new 'Stang out of commission for at least 10 days. Get this: The "Check Charging System" warning pops up on the info center, and the battery idiot light goes off. I stopped and started the car a few times (maybe that would clear the code if it was just a hiccup), decided this was futile, and took it into the dealership yesterday. After about four hours, they call me and tell me the alternator is charging fine (and the gauge did show a charge), but there was a "problem" with the computer that regulated the charge. The dealer's solution is to replace the entire CPU -- which they told me it would be 10 DAYS. Ten days to get a replacement computer? What the hell? Is this a known problem?

And, to top that off, they gave me a Pontiac as a rental!!

I called Ford Customer Service directly to have them get a computer out to the dealership, and they said "they will see what they can do." Yeah. OK.

Has anyone else had this problem? I've never had a new car that has been in this early.

Old 08-09-2006, 11:38 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 1,833 Miles and First Problem...

Sounds like the Smart Box. Mine failed at about 200 miles. Took 3 days to get becasue they have to get it approved through Ford before they can simply replace it. As for your buffer burns sorry toi hear and that is the exact reason i gave them instructions NOT to wash my car when it came in and to leave all wrapping on it. They had never had anyone request it and were very puzzled by it.

Richard
Old 08-10-2006, 12:03 AM
MobyDickDog
2nd Gear Member

We got ya beat on this one.

We bought the car out of state (Ohio). My wife flew there to make the transaction and store the car at the in-laws for about 2 weeks until the Auto Transport company arrive to pick it up. Long story short they unload it in front of the house and my wife is ready to take me for a ride. The car had LESS than 50 (yes, that's fifty) miles on it. We made it about 2 miles down the road when the car just went DEAD. I mean DEAD. No stumbling, sputtering , backfiring, spitting, nothing but DEAD. We had to go to the OFF position with the key and then start it back up. We nursed it home and the next morning it was on a flatbed tow truck headed to FORD. Long story short after 1 attempt to fix it by reprogramming the computer, they had to get a new computer. The original one was toast for some reason.

Here is a heads up for you. Before you leave the dealership, check EVERY function for proper operation. (lights, flashers, radio, windows, electric seats, EVERYTHING you can think of, THEN take it for a TEST drive and Check the operation of the cruise control.)

After the dealer installed the NEW computer they forgot to "ENABLE" the cruise control.

Then a couple of months later we got the standard DEAD Battery routine and it was back on the tow truck again!! They gave us a new battery. But that obviously is not the source of the problem. There is a big current draw when these cars are shut off. (Radio and Anti-theft.)

Good luck with it and try to enjoy it when it runs.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:59 PM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

Thanks for the heads up Moby. Will be sure to check before I drive the thing off. An update: After a few irate calls to Ford Customer Service, the box is supposed to be at the dealership either tomorrow or Monday. We'll see what happens.

As for the paint burns, the car came to me already detailed (while I was siging the papers they did it), and since it was dusk when I did the walkaround, I didn't see it. Totally sucks, but hopefully they can get out the swirls.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:39 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

I've always hated visiting the dealer. The first thing that comes out of the guy's mouth every single time I go in there (consistantly!) is just "We can't look at it today, tomorrow, or the next day. Bring it back Monday morning." Um... jackass... my car was just in an accident, it has to stay here. I'm not taking it anywhere. Morons...
Old 08-10-2006, 10:44 PM
Sonic Boom NH
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 06GT4RAD

As for your buffer burns sorry toi hear and that is the exact reason i gave them instructions NOT to wash my car when it came in and to leave all wrapping on it. They had never had anyone request it and were very puzzled by it.

Richard
It's good to know someone as **** as me. That is the same thing I told my dealer however they were not surprised as that was what I told them when I bought my Ford Lightning in 2003...
Old 08-11-2006, 12:13 AM
8URWS6
2nd Gear Member

That sounds about right with Ford lately. I just took mine in for the shudder in the trans when in first (manual) and grinding the gears (4000 miles on mine). As usual the normal response was "Couldn't duplicate the problem at this time". I'm just about sick and tired about the level of service that I get at the service department and to top it off......... The loaner car that I got died in the driveway, yeah I don't think that I will be buying Ford again.

However, I bet that if I was out of warranty on the Mustang, they would find out what it was after they charged me for five or six hours.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:16 AM
Kaldar142
4th Gear Member

thats ford for you

no wonder theyre lacking sales, lol

only ford owners can make fun of ourselves, but when chevy people comment on ford i get pissed heh
Old 08-11-2006, 12:18 AM
Kaldar142
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 8URWS6

That sounds about right with Ford lately. I just took mine in for the shudder in the trans when in first (manual) and grinding the gears (4000 miles on mine). As usual the normal response was "Couldn't duplicate the problem at this time". I'm just about sick and tired about the level of service that I get at the service department and to top it off......... The loaner car that I got died in the driveway, yeah I don't think that I will be buying Ford again.

However, I bet that if I was out of warranty on the Mustang, they would find out what it was after they charged me for five or six hours.
the only ford i would ever buy is the mustang or one of their trucks, i mean ford is cool and all but come on
Old 08-11-2006, 05:49 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

After leaving your car in for so long you will have to take extra steps when (if) you pick it up after 10 days.
1. Make sure that you call your service tech daily or at least every day that something is to have been done. If he dodges you, call the boss and let him know how you feel about having spent your hard-earned money on a car that they sold to you that was broken!
2. Make sure to get the head service manager's phone #. You might as well call him and complain, especially since they gave you a crappy rental. The longer it takes means maybe they will throw in some free accessories or a warranty.
3. If it takes close to 30 days back off and let it go to 30. In most states that will mean your car has been out of commission for 30 days and will qualify as a lemon. Ask them to buy back your car and get a better one. I kept mine and while I love it there are MANY problems that have been coming up. I should have started all over.
4. If they do manage to fix it, when you come in make sure they explain exactly what they did and then have the service tech deliver your car to you personally. Do NOT take delivery from some immigrant! Go over every inch of the car inside, outside and in the engine department. Make sure they haven't screwed up your seat covers, floormats, or scratched plastic. Check the engine compartment. Mine actually had BLOOD on the firewall due to someone not being careful when they installed the new engine!

If everything isn't the way it should be refuse to take delivery until the clean or replace the problem area. Demand a full tank of gas, a wash and polish- whatever you think you can get. Remember they have wasted your time by selling a defective product.

Last but not least- never drive without your cell phone as you never know when it can break down again!
Drive it hard and enjoy!

Quick Reply: 1,833 Miles and First Problem...