Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 Months and Oxidized Paint? WTF!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 07:58 PM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

Default 3 Months and Oxidized Paint? WTF!!

In the six weeks I've owned my GT, it's had the PCM replaced three times, has been at the dealer for a week, and now, believe it or not, I am starting to see the paint oxidizing on the driver's side rear quarter panel. WTF!!!? The thing was built in May of this year!!

Has anyone else had this problem? Or, is my 'Stang just "lucky?"
Old 08-28-2006, 08:47 PM
mikefan20
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 3 Months and Oxidized Paint? WTF!!

I would say more of a lemon than lucky..... sory dude, hope that they take care of you. I have had my car for almost 2 years and not 1 issue yet.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:55 PM
GTlust
I ♥ Acer

I don't know, but my car was built in May this year as well and I have some pea sized imperfections in the clear coat that look suspect. I first thought it was tree sap, but no amount of cleaner wax and elbow grease will remove it.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:05 PM
I G Joe
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kenthicken

In the six weeks I've owned my GT, it's had the PCM replaced three times, has been at the dealer for a week, and now, believe it or not, I am starting to see the paint oxidizing on the driver's side rear quarter panel. WTF!!!? The thing was built in May of this year!!

Has anyone else had this problem? Or, is my 'Stang just "lucky?"
where do you live? close to any salt water?
Old 08-28-2006, 09:09 PM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

Near Culver City, California - about 3 miles inland from the Pacific. I know what you're thinking, but I tried a little "spit shine" to see if it would come out of the paint... nope.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:44 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kenthicken

Near Culver City, California - about 3 miles inland from the Pacific. I know what you're thinking, but I tried a little "spit shine" to see if it would come out of the paint... nope.
What do you mena by Spit Shine? What is it that you used on the paint? Also if your paint looks oxidized after only three months then you need to take the car in and have it repainted. Also if you had the ECM replaced 3 times already you may be eligible for the lemon law.

Richard
Old 08-28-2006, 10:54 PM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

"Spit shine" meaning, I spit on my finger, and rubbed it on the paint to see if the oxidation / salt / dirt would come off... it didn't. Definitely in the paint, not on top of it (like sap or something). If it's the paint, then I will insist they repaint the car -- not just do the "polishing compound" trick.

As for the ECM / Lemon Law, as I understand it, the law applies after a "reasonable amount of attempts" have been made to fix the problem. Three in one visit is "reasonable" (I agree with the dealer on this one); if it were four or more, then they would have bought the car back.

Believe me, after all this crap with the car, I'm keeping a close eye on the "Lemon Law."
Old 08-29-2006, 06:49 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

Read some of my previous posts, if you can still do searches here, regarding my problems with my Lemon. I decided to keep mine after it was in the dealer's getting a new engine for 6 weeks. BIG MISTAKE!
Do what you can and start over again!
I know, these are so hard to get and we love them but I believe there are a high number of poorly built Mustangs out there. But what do you expect? This isn't Japan or Germany!
Old 08-29-2006, 02:22 PM
Thetics
2nd Gear Member

Same thing happened to me, got it repaired under warrenty.

YOUR PAINT JOB IS COVERED UNDER WARRENTY FOR 12 MONTHS! GET ON IT!

I believe its page 6 in the warrenty book if they give u ****. thats the warrenty booklet, not the manual.

have a nice day.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:00 AM
Stooge
2nd Gear Member

Was your car crashed in that area? Maybe you don't know it?? Repainting a repaired area could exhibit this effect!!

Quick Reply: 3 Months and Oxidized Paint? WTF!!