Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 11-20-2015, 12:58 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Interior Buzz/Rattle Locations/Fixes

Old 02-13-2012, 05:01 AM
malelo
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Buchez09GT
To give you an idea of the sound its almost like plastic rubbing against metal and metal vibrating on metal. Its hard to explain. Its not a constant vibration but is heard while accelerating heavily, cruising on the highways around 2000 rpms, or going over a bumpy surface. Before you say maybe it was the outside temps I live in the Atlanta area and when this started it was in the mid 60's.
Anyone have some experience with this or ideas where I can start looking? Its late now but I will be out tomorrow to see if I can find something.
Hi,
its possible, that the noises are from a harness, who goes direction to the trunk. There often not good fixed in the stang. You have to remove the side interior to see the wires. Fix everything and protect the interior contacting parts with foam tape. The noise is probably from the rear interior part. Try with your hands and knock on the parts. The best is, if you have someone who can sit in the rear while driving and try to locate it more exactly.
The last 2 years i fixed around 10 or more noisy points in my stang. Now he is quiete.
Good luck!
Greetings from cold germany

Mario
Old 02-13-2012, 08:20 AM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

Location: Thomasville, NC Where we beat headers into submission!!

Originally Posted by Shotokan1509
My Ebrake handle rattles, seems to move around as sometimes I can get it to stop by resting my hand on it but not always the same way. Had forgot about it since the car is in winter storage, but it'll be out soon and it drives me crazy.. only really noticable at 65mph+ with the 4.10's humming.
I have the same annoying buzz/rattling in my e-brake handle. If you figure out a way to fix it please post it. Drives me nuts and I end up driving around with my hand on the handle to keep it quiet.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:10 AM
up_yours_7
3rd Gear Member

I took my mirror apart and it's tabs inside that are broken that rattle so I super glued it back together and no rattles now
Old 02-13-2012, 01:51 PM
Buchez09GT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by malelo
Hi,
its possible, that the noises are from a harness, who goes direction to the trunk. There often not good fixed in the stang. You have to remove the side interior to see the wires. Fix everything and protect the interior contacting parts with foam tape. The noise is probably from the rear interior part. Try with your hands and knock on the parts. The best is, if you have someone who can sit in the rear while driving and try to locate it more exactly.
The last 2 years i fixed around 10 or more noisy points in my stang. Now he is quiete.
Good luck!
Greetings from cold germany

Mario
I looked at it today and thanks to your idea my awesome girlfriend volunteered to hang out in the trunk while I drove around. She was able to pin-point where the noise was coming from. When we got back home I tore into the trunk looking for a lose harness or maybe some lose metal. Didn't find anything. Raised the car up and removed the drivers side rear tire and started looking around the area she indicated the noise was coming from which was right where the muffler was hanging. I started to shake and move it around and BAM, there it was. It looks like the muffle wasn't tightened correctly and had jarred lose. It's hard to explain but the metal are from the rear of the muffler was moving in the rubber grommet causing that noise. Put the exhaust back in place and tightened up the bolt then went for another drive and the only thing I heard was the sweet sound my car makes when running.
Thanks!!
Old 02-13-2012, 03:54 PM
mph07alloy
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jeffk
I have the same annoying buzz/rattling in my e-brake handle. If you figure out a way to fix it please post it. Drives me nuts and I end up driving around with my hand on the handle to keep it quiet.
I had that problem once with a previous Mustang I had. The rattle started after putting on flow masters and it only happened during a certain RPM. Does the noise stop when you put your thumb on the e brake button? What I did was find some foam packaging material, while holding the the button in I crammed as much of the foam material inside the handle as I could get, which wasn't much but it was enough to keep what ever was moving and rattling from doing it again.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:17 PM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

Location: Thomasville, NC Where we beat headers into submission!!

Originally Posted by mph07alloy
I had that problem once with a previous Mustang I had. The rattle started after putting on flow masters and it only happened during a certain RPM. Does the noise stop when you put your thumb on the e brake button? What I did was find some foam packaging material, while holding the the button in I crammed as much of the foam material inside the handle as I could get, which wasn't much but it was enough to keep what ever was moving and rattling from doing it again.
I looked at trying to do that tonight but even with the button pushed in I don't see how I could stuff anything in there. It will stop if I just put my hand on the handle.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:00 PM
kevsgt
2nd Gear Member

Found a nice solution to the overdrive button rattle in my automatic shifter. Took some shrink tubing and wrapped it around the circumference of the button. Shove one end of the tubing in there, then just snake the rest (just a few inches) around the button a couple times. Use black to keep it inconspicuous.