Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 11-20-2015, 12:58 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Interior Buzz/Rattle Locations/Fixes

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 12:55 PM
flapjack
I ♥ Acer

Default Interior Buzz/Rattle Locations/Fixes

Ok, after upgrading my stereo from the Skipper1000, my whole car seems to buzz and rattle. The worst offender seems to be the two window switches on the driver's side. If I simply lay my hand on the switches, the buzzing stops. The passenger side buzzes from the switch as well, but it's only one switch... so it's not as bad.

Somehow, the dashboard rattling is gone. I think they must've taken it off during the install and maybe fixed what was buzzing. I also have some rattling from the rear seat areas, too.

So I figured it would be a good idea to start a thread that listed all the places our car rattles/buzzes/shakes/etc and what people have done to fix it. If you have any inputs, reply to the thread and I'll edit this first post. I'll start:

- Window switches: Take out switch assembly and coat with clear silicone where housing meets the sides of the switch box (below armrest).
- Shift boot: Get an aftermarket shifter.
- Driver's door mirror: Need fix action
- Plastic trim behind the inside door handle pull: Take it off and add a thin dab of silicon to the back or stick on a piece of thin weatherstrip...re-install and its fine.
- Little plastic piece inside of the passenger door grab: Dynamat
- Plastic housing that goes over the latch on the trunk lid: Dynamat
- Somewhere behind center console at idle: Need fix action (I have this problem, too)
- Vents: Need fix action

We're getting there!!!
Old 08-31-2006, 02:23 PM
White0640

Default RE: Interior Buzz/Rattle Locations/Fixes

I have an annoying little buzz from the shift boot....it is simply from the cheap material they used on the boot, and when I find a boot I like...that will be changed!
Old 08-31-2006, 02:40 PM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

I have a buzz in my drivers door mirror when the base on the stereo gets going on a good song, or a DJ's deep voice. Also when I hit a bump just right.

Souncs like 50 bees in a beer can!
Old 08-31-2006, 02:52 PM
flapjack
I ♥ Acer

Ok, I figured out the solution for the window switches. It's not actually the switches themselves, it's the housing below them. There are four clips, you have to pry two on each side to remove the switch housing. Use silicone to coat where the switch meets the housing. Rattle gone!

@ProfessorWizard

Mine doesn't make any noise, but I cannot even see out of it when the music is even moderately loud.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:06 PM
Dean Martin
2nd Gear Member

The plastic trim behind the inside door handle pull rattles easily. Take it off and add a thin dab of silicon to the back or stick on a piece of thin weatherstrip...re-install and its fine.

The parking brake release button on mine vibrates pretty bad in the winter. Don't have a fix yet. If I could take it apart and add a stiffer spring, or possibly put a little thick grease in there it would go away. Anyone got an idea on this one? I know that's the spot because I can depress it lightly when I hear it and it goes away.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:45 PM
Cowtown
2nd Gear Member

I had a consisten rattle under deep base from the little plastic piece inside of the passenger door grab. I popped the piece off and applied a couple small pieces of dynamat in there and reinstalled and the rattle went away.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:43 PM
Jas06GT
1st Gear Member

The plastic housing that goes over the latch on the trunk lid, buzzed like a swarm of south american killer bees.
Few little strips of Dynamat and its quiet as a mouse now. But it was so annoying prior to fixing it.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:08 PM
flapjack
I ♥ Acer

Edited with locations/fixes...
Old 08-31-2006, 10:42 PM
viking396
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: flapjack

Ok, after upgrading my stereo from the Skipper1000, my whole car seems to buzz and rattle. The worst offender seems to be the two window switches on the driver's side. If I simply lay my hand on the switches, the buzzing stops. The passenger side buzzes from the switch as well, but it's only one switch... so it's not as bad.

Somehow, the dashboard rattling is gone. I think they must've taken it off during the install and maybe fixed what was buzzing. I also have some rattling from the rear seat areas, too.

So I figured it would be a good idea to start a thread that listed all the places our car rattles/buzzes/shakes/etc and what people have done to fix it. If you have any inputs, reply to the thread and I'll edit this first post. I'll start:

- Window switches: Take out switch assembly and coat with clear silicone where housing meets the sides of the switch box (below armrest).
- Shift boot: Get an aftermarket shifter.
- Driver's door mirror: Need fix action
- Plastic trim behind the inside door handle pull: Take it off and add a thin dab of silicon to the back or stick on a piece of thin weatherstrip...re-install and its fine.
- Little plastic piece inside of the passenger door grab: Dynamat
- Plastic housing that goes over the latch on the trunk lid: Dynamat
- Somewhere behind center console at idle: Need fix action (I have this problem, too)
- Vents: Need fix action

We're getting there!!!

Heck make this a sticky, I like it.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:24 PM
flapjack
I ♥ Acer

Sweet. I figured it'd be useful...

Quick Reply: Interior Buzz/Rattle Locations/Fixes