Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More Fun on Street With 4.10's?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 09:50 PM
Tri C
1st Gear Member

Default RE: More Fun on Street With 4.10's?

You're saying it correctly, moosestang - example: "I'd like to have a four ten rear gear."

Thanks for the reply, Y.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:56 AM
MBDiagMan
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: More Fun on Street With 4.10's?

Thanks very much for the replies. Hearing feedback from people who are living with them every day is VERY helpful.

I have been contemplating my GT purchase ever since they came out two years ago. I started getting more serious in my thinking about six months ago. At that time, I drove a few and decided that if I bought one I would do two mods; a stiffer rear sway bar to take out some of the understeer and 4.10's.

As far as expense goes, I have never set up a gear and pinion on an 8.8, but I have done other axle types. They are all different in their setup, so I was skeptical. I found a video, however, that goes over this. I am going to get the video and then probably do the job myself. My biggest unknown at this time is getting the speedometer reset. I really don't want to buy a Predator, or some such, because I just won't be using it for much of anything else. Before putting in the gears I will call a few dealers and ask what they will charge for the speedo calibration. I kind of expect that to be about $25, then the parts and supplies for the job will be $279 and the video will be $30. So that's about $334 and a Saturday mornings work.

Unless someone can recommend an independent shop in the DFW area that will do the whole shootin' match including speedo cal for reasonable money and has done many of them before, I will most likely do it myself.

Thanks again for the feedback. Please keep it coming.