Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why you don't want to get in an accident

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 10:00 AM
tmcmulli

Default RE: why you don't want to get in an accident

ORIGINAL: Orion_240

Just to clear up things- I never "insulted" the tech guy. I just couldn't understand why they would remove the wing and "GT" cap when there was nothing wrong with it.
That comment really bugged me because when I picked up the car today I had to point out several errors. The had over-spray on the gas cap as well as the tail lights, they stained the interior when they had to get in the car to pull off the rear side window and they left hand prints all over my clean seats. Plus they scratched up the inside lining of my trunk!
All body shop guys may be great individuals but the guys who work on your car don't give a CR@P about your Mustang and have to be watched like a hawk! The contract said they'd bring it to original condition and if I brought it in clean I expect it returned to me CLEAN!
Oh, and to keep the good news coming- they wouldn't replace the rear portion of my side stripe because it didn't originally come with the car. So everyone who has added new parts (and stripes!)... guess what happens when they get damaged in an accident that may not be your fault?
You!
My '05 has been in the body shop twice... one for $4000 of hail damage (all dentless, had to get a new hood) the second when I hit a deer at about 50 mph by my house. I had the car in and out of the paint shop for over six months the 2nd time. Their care factor just isn't the same as the owner's. The car looks good now, but I still have some bubbles and pits in the new paint. I'll find a good detail guy, or learn how to do it myself to get the pits and orange peel out.

I live outside of Austin, and have had nothing but problems with body techs AND mechanics. We do it all ourselves now...
Old 09-14-2006, 10:08 AM
rebelyell06
2nd Gear Member

I had mine in the shop once to get a bumper replacement. My stepfather backed over my car. Luckily he was in the explorer and not the f250!!! 900 bucks for the new bumper and paint and the small dent in the right rear quarterpanel. I no longer have "Mustang GT" written on my bumper which sucks, but I was going to remove it when I got a rear blackout panel. Still haven't gotten it yet so the car looks kinda weird with out the lettering because that kinda gave my stripes a resting spot. My stripes stop at the bottom of the trunk-lid and the lettering was on the raised part of the back bumper.
Old 09-17-2006, 05:18 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

And to keep this post updated:
I was showing a friend all the little stuff they did wrong and when I was pointing out the scratch marks in the trunk liner he lifted the liner on the right... NO Screw! it lifted away from the tail light! Plus I have a vibration between the A-Pillar and the dash that wasn't there before, marks on the door jam and stains on the back seat that didn't come out... It's not like they don't repair your car but they do all this extra DAMAGE!
Might as well just trick out the car now...
Old 09-17-2006, 10:38 AM
redfireshaker06
4th Gear Member

Tell your insurance you want to take it somewhere else to get refixed. You can do that. I actually got money back from the dealership because I had to do work they should have done in the first place. I needed a seat hinge, I put that in because they didn't and my sequential tailights didn't work after the dealership F'd w/ them. I fixed them so I got $96 back from them
Old 09-17-2006, 11:24 AM
CurtX
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dmhines

Do factories still paint that way? I would think they paint colors in batches since they use the electrostatic process now .... basically they fill the paint booth with a cloud of positively charged paint particles ... then they run the body through with a negative charge .... every nook and cranny of the car gets covered with paint since the body attracts the oppositely charged particles ...
Well it doesn't work quite that way, at least not at Honda where I used to work in the paint booth. Yes the paint is charged. But there is no "cloud" of paint that fills the booth. Paint guns are still used that spray the paint on cars in a series of booths, each concentrating a portion of the car. Robots and machines are used, but the paint is sprayed onto the car. And they have special robots to reach the nook and crannys. The paint sprayers charge the paint to minimize overspray and apply uniform coats.
Old 09-17-2006, 12:48 PM
ScreaminYella06
1st Gear Member

Your paint guy is doing it the best way. I have to get some body work done on in the same area and I have the same color. When the guy told me he had to remove the side and back glass I freaked out until it was explained to me. If they just tape it out and spray the it will look good for a little while until the clear startes to peal off around the edges of the windows. Also they need to blend it in. The colors are mixed and shipped in train cars and not every patch is exact. Your in good hands. Hope to put mine in the shop next week. Believe it or not , my son got mad at his girfriend and punched my car right in front of the gas filler door. Needless to say I almost stroked out. My son is going to have a heart attack when he gets the bill. And yes, He is going to pay for it. At age 17 he should know better. I plan on getting the best paint and body work done as possible. The car is only a couple of months old. It sits in the garage most of the time covered so you can imagine how much I baby it. This is the car I bought so that I could cruise around and act like kid again. The wife and I have a lot of fun with it. It is a real attention getter.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:18 AM
08blackV6

I have a question for those of you who were unlucky to have quarter damage similar to my mustang. A few months ago someone ran a red light and smashed into the driver side quarter panel. After lots of researching we picked a shop which sounded qualified (we interviewed 26 body shops). Fast forward past three months of slow repairs and we ended up having to take the car to a ford collision center (not in our insurance network) to repair rattles created by the original body shop. The collision center thought they fixed the problem, but with the increasing temperatures the rattles are slowly coming back.

The originial repair entailed replacing both the exterior and interior quarter panels. The rattle sounds like a panel may be shifting a little bit after hitting small bumps. I noticed the shop used flooder foam where the panels meet. I am concerned the shop may have cut corners and used to foam to cover those shortcuts. For those that have had this type of accident, do you have any noises/rattles coming from the rear now?

Sorry for all the details and thank you for the help!. Its been 4 frustrating months of trying to get our mustang fixed in hopes of not having to sell it
Old 06-06-2011, 09:05 AM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

If you keep your ins. company notified of major body mods, they will be covered with no problem.

As to the body shop, why did you take the car if it did not meet your specifications or did you leave it for them to fix and correct? I have walked away more than once when not satisfied. That is one reason I always check on my car before returning the loaner THEY pay for.

That yellow is a big hassle for them to match. Saw a local var that had three shades, they had to do the whole car then.