Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have a taller tire in the rear?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 05:39 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default Anyone have a taller tire in the rear?

I'm talking about 31.5 inches in diameter. Will a 29 inch tall tire work in the front or will there be clearance issues? I was thinking about a 255/55/18 and 285/60/18, that's right 60 series.

Old 09-14-2006, 06:27 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Anyone have a taller tire in the rear?

I am running 295/45 R18's in the rear. I belive this is the stock size on the Lightning pickup? Anyway, this tire is 28.4" in diameter. I think it fills out the rear wheelwells very nicely and gives the car a bit of that "traditional musclecar" look with the larger tires in the back. I have the rear lowered about 1" with the Roush springs, and I have ZERO problems with rubbing, even on bumpy roads.

I have not tried something that big in the front. I don't know for sure, but my guess is that it might rub on something while turning. In the rear you could fit a 29" no problem (especially if it's not lowered). A 31.5" Maybe, but it would depend on the width and it'd be damn tight. You could probably pull it off if you were very careful with your wheel width and spacing.

Keep in mind that if you install rear tires that are larger OD than your fronts it's going to mess up your instant center (LCA angle), so you need to get LCA relocation brackets to fix the problem.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:36 PM
Gone2
2nd Gear Member

It will also freak out your ABS sensors if the front/rear difference is too great. I think its usually about 10%.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:07 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Do you have a side shot of your car? The website I was considering buying rims and tires from recommends a rim width of 8-10 inches for those size tires.

http://www.newstalgiawheel.com/produ...ls.asp?id=3369

I was thinking 18x8 all around, but it seems like a lot of tire will be hanging over the rim lip. I might stick with a 29 inch tall tire in the rear, i don't really want two different widths of rims on the car.

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

I am running 295/45 R18's in the rear. I belive this is the stock size on the Lightning pickup? Anyway, this tire is 28.4" in diameter. I think it fills out the rear wheelwells very nicely and gives the car a bit of that "traditional musclecar" look with the larger tires in the back. I have the rear lowered about 1" with the Roush springs, and I have ZERO problems with rubbing, even on bumpy roads.

I have not tried something that big in the front. I don't know for sure, but my guess is that it might rub on something while turning. In the rear you could fit a 29" no problem (especially if it's not lowered). A 31.5" Maybe, but it would depend on the width and it'd be damn tight. You could probably pull it off if you were very careful with your wheel width and spacing.

Keep in mind that if you install rear tires that are larger OD than your fronts it's going to mess up your instant center (LCA angle), so you need to get LCA relocation brackets to fix the problem.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:09 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Great! My dirt road allready freaks out the TCS system, what's one more computer controlled gizmo loosing it's marble. What did we ever do without ABS and TCS? I know we got in more accidents, blah, blah, blah.

ORIGINAL: Gone2

It will also freak out your ABS sensors if the front/rear difference is too great. I think its usually about 10%.