Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SOURCE FOUND>MUST READ Musty Smell??? Can it be from the Doors?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 01:58 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Default RE: Musty Smell??? Can it be from the Doors?

Keep in mind while the area that has the leak may not smell, the water coming from the ofending plug drainaige hole or section will have to collect somewhere and thats where it will smell.

Where the water collects (and mildews) will probably not be same area where its leaking from. Water does travel.

Your next best bet may be to take the seats out and some of the trim and pull the carpet and pad back to see if you can find a stain trail and follow it to the source of the leak. It will be time consuming but you will have your answer a lot faster than waiting for it be obvious and cause a lot more damage.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:53 PM
Warlok
2nd Gear Member

Hey booster? Have you ever had anything good to say in your sorry life ever? Your a smart *** little punk arent ya?
Old 09-25-2006, 09:11 PM
Gman13
3rd Gear Member

https://mustangforums.com/m_2000978/tm.htm

Hey Rasquedo you might look at the above link. Not sure if you have had any of these problems, but they all seem to relate to water. Just a thought.... keep us informed as I think a lot of us are following these two threads, hoping for the best but prepping for the worst.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:16 PM
ponyx2
2nd Gear Member

Hey booster? Have you ever had anything good to say in your sorry life ever? Your a smart *** little punk arent ya?

LMAO
Old 09-25-2006, 09:46 PM
JOHNNY
2nd Gear Member

IF YOU USE YOUR A/C ALOT MIDEW WILL FORM ON A/C EVAPORATOR CORE THEIR A PROCESS FOR CLEANING THAT . IF UNDER WARENTEE TELL FORD YOU NEED YOUR EVAPORATOR CORE CLEANED . IF NOT LOOK FOR A SHOP THAT SELLS B/G PRODUCTS TELL THEM YOU NEED A EVAPORATOR CLEANED. IF YOU HAVE LEAVES IN YOUR DOORS THEIR ALSO IN YOUR EVAPORATOR CASE?
Old 09-25-2006, 10:04 PM
rasguedo

I notice that the smell is definately a little stronger on the right side (passenger) of the car. The link about the wiring (thanks G-Man) also mentions this side being the culprit i wonder if it could be a leak common to all of them? I do run the air conditioner a lot (defrost) due to the fact that when I get out of work it is late and I always have fogged up windows. If it is the evaporator case wouldnt the smell be eminating from the vents or from the intake near the hood? Where is the evaporator case? It thankfully is still under warranty but my Ford dealers around here are inept. I have had cars go through much worse, standing water, spilled drinks, vomit, dog **** and more..This car has had none of them! In fact it is an 05 with only 8,900 miles on it! I really tried to take care of it. I want to buy some Borlas for it but i cant bring myself to without fixing this problem. Derf your suggestion makes a lot of sense and im leaning toward it, however I dont have the tools to do it unfortunately. Are smells covered under the warranty? would Ford take the seats out to look?
Old 09-26-2006, 07:22 PM
JOHNNY
2nd Gear Member

THE EVAPOATOR CASE IS ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF DASH TRY PULLING TO SEE IF THE CABIN FILTER IS FULL OF LEAVES.WHEN YOU FIRST TURN ONTHE A/C IT WILL BE VERY STRONG ODER? B/G MAKE A SPAY YOU SPRAY IN AIR INTAKE FOR AC THAT HELPS ELIMINATETHE ODER ITS CALLED FRIDGEE FRESH! JUST STOP BY A LOCAL AC SHOP AND THEY WILL TELL YOU IF THE ODER IS FROM THE A/C. WE DEAL WITH THIS IN FL. ALL THE TIME. HOPE THIS HELPS
Old 10-04-2006, 02:17 PM
rasguedo

UPDATE: I took the car to my dealer and they said they definately could smell what I was talking about. The car was left there overnight and they said that they combed it over. Checked the carpets, the a/c the filters the condenser. Everything. They could not find one thing that was the source of the smell. I was also told that the smell is of no fault of my own. He claimed that the car is "sweating" with the weather change and that it is creating this smell by that process. Basically I will have to live with it. This really pi*ses me off. It seems these cars have a problem with letting the condensation out. I asked him what he would do and he said that I should take it to another Ford dealer for a second opinion and then to call Ford personally. This sucks.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:21 PM
Gman13
3rd Gear Member

Sorry to hear that. Let us know how it all works out.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:34 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: rasguedo

UPDATE: I took the car to my dealer and they said they definately could smell what I was talking about. The car was left there overnight and they said that they combed it over. Checked the carpets, the a/c the filters the condenser. Everything. They could not find one thing that was the source of the smell. I was also told that the smell is of no fault of my own. He claimed that the car is "sweating" with the weather change and that it is creating this smell by that process. Basically I will have to live with it. This really pi*ses me off. It seems these cars have a problem with letting the condensation out. I asked him what he would do and he said that I should take it to another Ford dealer for a second opinion and then to call Ford personally. This sucks.
Well, here's a suggestion. They proably can't find the source because whatever did cause it may not be apparent any longer.

I would still suggest you tear down the interior and spray down with an anti-mildew spray (go to your local hardware store for it) to kill whatever is creating the smell and i don't mean lysol or febreeze. Those just cover up the smell. After it's been started, mildew can continue to grow with little or no moisture. Mildew is a fungus like what causes athletes foot for example.

Unless you get rid of the cause, the smell will never go away.

Quick Reply: SOURCE FOUND>MUST READ Musty Smell??? Can it be from the Doors?