Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SOURCE FOUND>MUST READ Musty Smell??? Can it be from the Doors?

Old 10-07-2006, 05:07 PM
rex7010
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Musty Smell??? Can it be from the Doors?

Good news.. I would take it back to Ford as you said .. and say how can I find it but you trained techs. can't ( they work on these cars all day long )

good find.. glad you got it fixed or at least know where the problem is...!!!!

Rex
Old 10-10-2006, 02:34 AM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

Ah ha! Glad to hear you found it. Now you've got me worried about my driver's side as well. Unfortunately I've not been able to get into the dealership for round...3...of trying to get this taken care of. I personally have not called Mr. Ford directly, but I'm heading to the dealership this week hopefully and they better fix it. I can reproduce it now, and so hopefully no more dropped ***** on Ford's part. Please keep us updated as to the specifics of the fix; apparently they guys need all the help they can get [&:]

Glad I could help.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:07 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Derf00

ORIGINAL: rasguedo

UPDATE: I took the car to my dealer and they said they definately could smell what I was talking about. The car was left there overnight and they said that they combed it over. Checked the carpets, the a/c the filters the condenser. Everything. They could not find one thing that was the source of the smell. I was also told that the smell is of no fault of my own. He claimed that the car is "sweating" with the weather change and that it is creating this smell by that process. Basically I will have to live with it. This really pi*ses me off. It seems these cars have a problem with letting the condensation out. I asked him what he would do and he said that I should take it to another Ford dealer for a second opinion and then to call Ford personally. This sucks.
Well, here's a suggestion. They proably can't find the source because whatever did cause it may not be apparent any longer.

I would still suggest you tear down the interior and spray down with an anti-mildew spray (go to your local hardware store for it) to kill whatever is creating the smell and i don't mean lysol or febreeze. Those just cover up the smell. After it's been started, mildew can continue to grow with little or no moisture. Mildew is a fungus like what causes athletes foot for example.

Unless you get rid of the cause, the smell will never go away.
Never mind i see you found the problme and it is what i thought.

I agree with this also. If by chance you got some moisture into the carpet backing/jute pad there is no way for the moisture to escape without removing it and letting it dry in the sun. This is one reason why i never suggest using a steam type carpet cleaning machine in cars. Yes the exterior portion of the carpet may get clean but the water bleeds threw and then gets into the Jute pad and it never dries out. Once that stuff gets damp there is no getting it dry without complete removal.

Richard
Old 10-10-2006, 02:26 PM
rasguedo

This thread continues with a new post at:

https://mustangforums.com/m_2076816/tm.htm

-Thanks for everyones help!