Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

2005 - 2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by Latemodel Restoration

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 09-22-2006, 12:29 PM   #1
rasguedo

Default SOURCE FOUND>MUST READ Musty Smell??? Can it be from the Doors?

Hey everyone, I got a 2005 GT right when they came out. It is the best car i have ever owned!!! By Far! However lately I have noticed that the new car smell has been replaced by a strong musty odor. I immediately went through all the check steps I thought I could go through. The windows where not left open, I didnt spill anything on the carpet ( Ihave leather seats so they arent the culprit), the air conditioning vents dont smell and the trunk also has no smell. I have cleaned the carpet with carpet cleaner, used a product from Stanley Steemer called odor be gone that had bacterial cultures that eat away at odor (sprayed on the carpet-twice). I cant seem to figure it out. I have had friends all smell around and in the car and nothing seems to be causing the smell (When sitting overnight and opened in the morning it is definately there). Im going nuts trying to figure it out. It isnt a dead animal smell, nothing is under the hood. Then I remembered these cars seem to accumulate water in the doors when it rains (unfortunately i dont have a garage). Sometimes after a rain storm I open the door and run my hand underneath it and slightly lift up the seal and some water comes out. Now I have smelled the doors and they dont smell but of course I cant really smell inside of them. When I used the carpet cleaner I used a paper towel to blot it up and behind the seats I noticed that there is a liitle indentation on the floor. The paper towels actually when picking up the cleaner picked up dirtier cleaner out of these indentations. These seemed like the culprit but when I stick my nose down to them they dont smell.... So Im back to the doors...Ford said if i bring it to them they will sniff it, but what would they do? I dont think this kind of problem is covered under warranty... Any suggestions or thoughts of where to look for this mystery smell would be greatly appreciated!!! I have a beautiful smelly car... If it is the doors i would imagine others would end up having the same problem eventually.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
rasguedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 12:59 PM   #2
Booster
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Musty Smell??? Can it be from the Doors?

Just shower more often.

Booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 01:18 PM   #3
rasguedo

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Booster

Just shower more often.

Wont be so funny if it is a problem with the door seal.... Then everyone will eventually have it....thanks for all your help
Old 09-22-2006, 05:23 PM   #4
bodyputtyless
3rd Gear Member

Musty means water. My wife once upon a time (when we were dating) bought a Cutlass (1989). It was on the showroom floor, and when I got inside I told her, "I don't know how new GM's smell but this one smells musty". One year later we got back 90% of our money (she paid cash) after attending a lemon law hearing. The car simply would fill up with water every time it rained. My suggestion is to also put your hand under the seats and then through the opening in the carpet to make sure the underlayment isn't wet. This is where the musty smell was coming in our case. Olds probably took the car and shipped it out to Arizona, or some other dry place and sold it to some unfortunate slob.
2002 Navy Blue Escape 4x4
2009 Smokestone Mercury Milan Premier
[IMG][IMG]
bodyputtyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 05:53 PM   #5
Gman13
3rd Gear Member

Might not be cheap or easy but if your thinking is right about the doors, you'll need to get the door panels off. what if you too them off and put it under a water hose to see if you see any water coming in...??? just a though.

Gman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 06:00 PM   #6
Derf00
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: '08 S197 GT

Quote:
ORIGINAL: rasguedo

Hey everyone, I got a 2005 GT right when they came out. It is the best car i have ever owned!!! By Far! However lately I have noticed that the new car smell has been replaced by a strong musty odor. I immediately went through all the check steps I thought I could go through. The windows where not left open, I didnt spill anything on the carpet ( Ihave leather seats so they arent the culprit), the air conditioning vents dont smell and the trunk also has no smell. I have cleaned the carpet with carpet cleaner, used a product from Stanley Steemer called odor be gone that had bacterial cultures that eat away at odor (sprayed on the carpet-twice). I cant seem to figure it out. I have had friends all smell around and in the car and nothing seems to be causing the smell (When sitting overnight and opened in the morning it is definately there). Im going nuts trying to figure it out. It isnt a dead animal smell, nothing is under the hood. Then I remembered these cars seem to accumulate water in the doors when it rains (unfortunately i dont have a garage). Sometimes after a rain storm I open the door and run my hand underneath it and slightly lift up the seal and some water comes out. Now I have smelled the doors and they dont smell but of course I cant really smell inside of them. When I used the carpet cleaner I used a paper towel to blot it up and behind the seats I noticed that there is a liitle indentation on the floor. The paper towels actually when picking up the cleaner picked up dirtier cleaner out of these indentations. These seemed like the culprit but when I stick my nose down to them they dont smell.... So Im back to the doors...Ford said if i bring it to them they will sniff it, but what would they do? I dont think this kind of problem is covered under warranty... Any suggestions or thoughts of where to look for this mystery smell would be greatly appreciated!!! I have a beautiful smelly car... If it is the doors i would imagine others would end up having the same problem eventually.
Check the drain tube under the dash that the AC accumulator is using. If this tube gets clogged, you will get the water that is supposed to drain to the outside of the car to overflow into the car.

Reason you notice it more during the rain/snow is probably because it's not bad enough yet to where it won't evaporate on its own on a dry day but still leaves a smell.

Also, check under the car. The floor panels have drain holes. Check to make sure they aren't clogged or full of crap either.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostBoyz View Post
if you are getting 29mpg in your 5.0, you aren't driving it correctly
Derf00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 06:56 PM   #7
6xStang
3rd Gear Member

another source of this problem has been water getting into the ductwork through the air intake in front of the windshield. If there is a leak back there it can start to grow mold and start to stink.....

not sure how to check for it, though.....
6xStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 11:23 PM   #8
ford4v429
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 Ford Mustang GT stick

there is a 'cabin air filter' on these cars- under the plastic by the wipers... might be time for replacement...think instructions are in the owners manual.
my car had plastic 'clips' in the drain holes on one door- no idea why they were there, but I pulled them out- fearing little bits of leaves/dirt might clog them- they dont seal the drains, but block like 75% of it...if youve got those shouldnt hurt to pull them out at least to make sure theyre open/no 'stuff' behind. good luc- let us know what you find- I'm getting worried about mine as the windows seem to be fogging up worse than they used to in cool weather- hope its not holding water somewhere...
69 acapulco blue fastback(in pcs since '84)
65 caspian blue Galaxie 500 LTD 4dr hdtp(gift from old friend/neighbor)

ford4v429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 12:03 PM   #9
marguerite66
4th Gear Member

Did you check the trunk? I've had a few cars (not mustangs) retain water in the trunk and the whole car would smell musty.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:52 PM   #10
rasguedo

Thanks for all your reply's. First thing i did was go and check for the aformentioned plugs in the drains in my door. Sure enough they where there only on the back (rear) side of the doors. When I removed them I noticed a bunch of guck and dirt underneath obviously they were not draining properly. They holes however didnt smell. Upon examining the door further with the windows down I pulled the molding away from where the window enters the door (on the outside of window) I was amazed at how much crap was in there.. old leafs, dirt, dead bugs, 1 live spider... I couldnt believe it. If I traced this stuff to where it would go..of course it will end up going inside my door. I shudder to think about what the inside of my door will look like. Second thing was try and check for leaks from the airconditioner since I cant get behind the dash..this was hard to do but I didnt seem to notice any water on the carpet under the dash, nor did it smell that bad. I also smelled the air vents and the air conditioner air intake couldnt detect a smell there. I will look into changing the cabin air filter (if the smell doenst get worse when I turn on the air im thinking it is probably not that though) As far as the holes in the undercarriage to let water escape from the floorboard I couldnt find them does anyone know exactly where they are located.. This seems to be the best thing to check! Any more thoughts about this will be greatly appreciated!! Oh for the last reply my trunk doenst smell at all. It is completely lacking of the mildew smell I also have had older cars do that so that was the first thing I checked.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:52 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
car, cleaned, coming, door, doors, f150, gear, inside, mustang, musty, odor, smell, stick, underneath, waterhose