Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New NY Traffic Law enforcement

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 06:04 AM
06 tgstn vert

Default New NY Traffic Law enforcement

Just a heads up gents, NY is going to be getting rid of the "Buckle up" program...to an extent... and replacing it with a "Slow Down NY" program. Apparently it's being funded by most major insurance companies as well as the state. I know because I will be issuing some of those tickets . But the usual cushion most of us give is from 8-10 over before a ticket is given they're asking us to lower our tolerance to 5-8mph over due to community pressure and pressure from voters most likely. I have an 06' GT vert. that I itch every second to go mach 3 in, but just a friendly heads up for all in NY watch your rears. Also any emergency vehicles stopped on the side of the road are subject to slow down for due to the ammount of police and fireman being hit by passing cars. If the speed limit is 30 make sure your doing 25 or slower passing that stopped police or fire vehicle or your going to get a speeding ticket for failure to reduce upon a special hazzard. Myssuggestion is use the track....absent that be smart and find an abandoned road somewhere where nobody will complain about the noise or traffic hence calling us to check it out. (although I would never reccomend that on the record
Old 09-23-2006, 11:43 AM
jay0heavenly
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: New NY Traffic Law enforcement

Thanks for the heads up! If only all men in blue were like you, we would live in a perfect world'

[IMG]local://upfiles/30670/869DAB528CDA4B7B8504DC7E45A3C4D3.jpg[/IMG]
Old 09-23-2006, 12:10 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

Well it sounds all well and good. But I just cant help but see it as just another revenue producer for all. I am sure it will wash across to NJ to some extent. Though not everything does.

What they should do (and they may already), is make all tickets that are like 15mph and under no insurance points tickets but carry a little larger fine. The fine is the least of the problem, it is the insurance points that will destroy you.

Well, keep up the good work and thanks for the heads up.

Old 09-23-2006, 01:32 PM
Meph
2nd Gear Member

I love New York. I never can call an office to get the police, but they sure don't mind sitting on their *** catching speeders/beltless to increase the county's revenue. Seriously my last car got broken into, called police office 12 TIMES. Never answered phone, never replied to my messages I left. I'm not asking for a CSI investigation but at the very least a little acknowledgement from officer Farva.

And the good cops wonder why people have such a bad taste about all of them.

They're out to reach a quota. "There is no quota, we can't have those" bull. I used to know a few good cops. One was a Trooper even. This guy was sent to a different post because he didn't meet the quota. I guess doing a job that meant something wasn't as important as raking in a few extra bucks.

When the police went from "Keepers of the Peace" to "Law Enforcement" that right there screwed us all.
Old 09-23-2006, 02:32 PM
FuriousGeorge
2nd Gear Member

Thank god I live in Las Vegas where you can be intoxicated and driving recklessly at 3am on a Saturday night and have the misdemeanor offenses reduced to parking tickets without even pleading with the traffic court judge (maybe because I'm local? dunno). Wait a second, now that I have learned MY lesson, how many other insane drivers haven't? There should be a balance...
Old 09-23-2006, 02:37 PM
06 tgstn vert

Ha Ha. Sorry dont mean to laugh but your completely wrong. Check the laws!!! the town or village that a ticket is written in gets 5-10% of the fine. ALL THE REST GOES TO THE STATE!!!!!! (if you dont believe me check w/ your court clerk) There are few exceptions such as local law traffic sections which you will see checked on the ticket you recieve. (very rare) I personally have written from 1-100 tickets in one month and I have honest to god never bet reprimanded for writing that one ticket per month. Hence no incentive for town or village cops in NY to write tickets other that citizen complaints and voter pressure on the PD. (actually i try to write as few as possible makes for more work later...trials etc...)
Troopers on the other hand may have "performance expectations" from what I know they are expected but not mandated to write (2) UTT's in a 12 HOUR SHIFT. (not real cops just ticket writers) I can do that in 15 minutes, so thats not unreasonable to ask for.
And as far as the long wait for calls go, in Syracuse NY there are not enough cops on duty to go to calls like car larcenys and pettit larcenys from a store so you usually are directed to file a report by mail. We'd love to have for cops on but taxpayers refuse to raise the budgets to pay for them. I have gone on domestic calls that were 2 hours old!!! because the in progress or just occurred calls were stacked up and a higher priority. Bottom line is the limit is just that, the limit. If you break it your gambling that you might get caught. Most times you wont but other times you will so dont complain you chose to do it and now your responsible for your actions. Not getting defensive just trying to inform you instead of you relying on "folk loke" from other people. And as far as the reducing speed while passing a police or fire veh. thats for safety. Most people zone out when driving and almost hit us. Iv'e got a family to go home to so if it takes writing someone a ticket for doing 31 past me in a 30 mph zone then whatever it takes to get people aware.
Old 09-23-2006, 02:44 PM
06SilverStang
1st Gear Member

I've been driving on Long Island for over 20 years and have always followed the 10-12 MPH buffer and never received a ticket. I hope this old dog will learn this new trick.

I can't imagine running 60 MPH on the LIE without being cut off every 500 feet.

Old 09-23-2006, 04:16 PM
siggy14
2nd Gear Member

No Offense to you and i appreciate the heads up, but I call BS card on this too. No way has there been public or voter preasure on this one, Speeding is the last thing on voters minds and probaly a good portion of NY'ers speed every day. Hell if anything there is probaly more voter preasure to increase the speed limit on hightways. Sorry there is just not enough granny votes to make it important enough for polititians, this is a revenue thing.

More then likely NY preasured the insurance companies to pay for this or they are looking at the bigger picture, more tickets on someones record, the more they can charge them for insurance. Hell the insurance companies might have even pushed for this.

Like you said in a post down below, the towns only get a small percentage and the state gets the most, and look at the two sponsering this, NY State and the insurance companies, so it is purley a revenue thing, just like seat belt laws. Drives me crazy, If i want to put my life in danger, then i should be allowed, why does the state find the need to force me to wear a seat belt. I know the risk or not wearing one, it is my life, so let me choose! just another way for the states to make money and regulate the people.

NY's Program Names.
Buckle Up NY
Cell phone one, not sure what they called it.
And now Slow down NY
Future program To be called. NY just give us whats left of your money we didnt take already!

I find it funny how it is more about money then saftey, what is messed up is here in VA they use to use camara's for red lights, but a study found the camara's where causing more accidents then preventing as people were jamming on the breaks when they saw the camara to avoid getting a ticket, so they never renewed the law.

So they deactivated the camara's but left them in place, why, Well you guessed it, the polititians are still trying to get the law passed again so they can use the camara's again, why because they made alot of money.

Talk about saftey, look at germany, they have the autobaun with no speed limit and less accidents then most freeways in the USA, that tells you something. Where alot of states have raised there speed limit to 70 or 75, NY still does not really want to go into the 65 range, not even sure if they have anywhere, that is sad.

Like i said thanks for the heads up, next time i go home to Long Island to visit the family, and when i am driving from the city all the way out to the east end of the island, I will make sure to set my cruise control at 60 instead of 65. Do you know how hard it is to only go 60 on the LIE at 3:00AM when no one else is on the road? God help me on that 79 miles stretch.

Here is a little clue for NY and other states, instead of spending so much money on finding ways to give people tickets, spend some money on ways of making traveling easier. A good start would be getting digital speed signs, during the peak driving hours and times make the speed limit slower, at off peak times when there are only a hand full of cars here or there make the speed limit faster, not that hard, works on Jersey Turnpike!

You know i have lived long enough (i am in my 30"s) to see this country has gone down, it use to be a goverment for the people by the people, now it is a government controlling the people by big business. Yes i think we need a revolution of some kind, or just get alot of the old blood out of office so we can get some fresh perspective back in there and make laws that reflect what the people want.

I sure do miss Bill, he cheated on his wife, he lied, he smoked pot and loved rock and roll, he was probaly the only president I would call a true american president, he truley represented a big portion of the people of this country!

ORIGINAL: 06 tgstn vert

Just a heads up gents, NY is going to be getting rid of the "Buckle up" program...to an extent... and replacing it with a "Slow Down NY" program. Apparently it's being funded by most major insurance companies as well as the state. I know because I will be issuing some of those tickets . But the usual cushion most of us give is from 8-10 over before a ticket is given they're asking us to lower our tolerance to 5-8mph over due to community pressure and pressure from voters most likely. I have an 06' GT vert. that I itch every second to go mach 3 in, but just a friendly heads up for all in NY watch your rears. Also any emergency vehicles stopped on the side of the road are subject to slow down for due to the ammount of police and fireman being hit by passing cars. If the speed limit is 30 make sure your doing 25 or slower passing that stopped police or fire vehicle or your going to get a speeding ticket for failure to reduce upon a special hazzard. Myssuggestion is use the track....absent that be smart and find an abandoned road somewhere where nobody will complain about the noise or traffic hence calling us to check it out. (although I would never reccomend that on the record
Old 09-23-2006, 04:28 PM
yur1279
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: siggy14

No Offense to you and i appreciate the heads up, but I call BS card on this too. No way has there been public or voter preasure on this one, Speeding is the last thing on voters minds and probaly a good portion of NY'ers speed every day. Hell if anything there is probaly more voter preasure to increase the speed limit on hightways. Sorry there is just not enough granny votes to make it important enough for polititians, this is a revenue thing.

More then likely NY preasured the insurance companies to pay for this or they are looking at the bigger picture, more tickets on someones record, the more they can charge them for insurance. Hell the insurance companies might have even pushed for this.

Like you said in a post down below, the towns only get a small percentage and the state gets the most, and look at the two sponsering this, NY State and the insurance companies, so it is purley a revenue thing, just like seat belt laws. Drives me crazy, If i want to put my life in danger, then i should be allowed, why does the state find the need to force me to wear a seat belt. I know the risk or not wearing one, it is my life, so let me choose! just another way for the states to make money and regulate the people.

NY's Program Names.
Buckle Up NY
And now Slow down NY
Future program To be called. NY just give us whats left of your money we didnt take already!

I find it funny how it is more about money then saftey, what is messed up is here in VA they use to use camara's for red lights, but a study found the camara's where causing more accidents then preventing as people were jamming on the breaks when they saw the camara to avoid getting a ticket, so they never renewed the law.

So they deactivated the camara's but left them in place, why, Well you guessed it, the polititians are still trying to get the law passed again so they can use the camara's again, why because they made alot of money.

Talk about saftey, look at germany, they have the autobaun with no speed limit and less accidents then most freeways in the USA, that tells you something. Where alot of states have raised there speed limit to 70 or 75, NY still does not really want to go into the 65 range, not even sure if they have anywhere, that is sad.

Like i said thanks for the heads up, next time i go home to Long Island to visit the family, and when i am driving from the city all the way out to the east end of the island, I will make sure to set my cruise control at 60 instead of 65. Do you know how hard it is to only go 60 on the LIE at 3:00AM when no one else is on the road? God help me on that 79 miles stretch.

Here is a little clue for NY and other states, instead of spending so much money on finding ways to give people tickets, spend some money on ways of making traveling easier. A good start would be getting digital speed signs, during the peak driving hours and times make the speed limit slower, at off peak times when there are only a hand full of cars here or there make the speed limit faster, not that hard, works on Jersey Turnpike!

You know i have lived long enough (i am in my 30"s) to see this country has gone down, it use to be a goverment for the people by the people, now it is a government controlling the people by big business. Yes i think we need a revolution of some kind, or just get alot of the old blood out of office so we can get some fresh perspective back in there and make laws that reflect what the people want.

I sure do miss Bill, he cheated on his wife, he lied, he smoked pot and loved rock and roll, he was probaly the only president I would call a true american president, he truley represented a big portion of the people of this country!

wow, dude, wake up. Your telling me the majorety of America cheat on their wives, smoke pot and listen to rock n roll??? If thats true, help us all. Also, in Germany is it alot harder/more expensive to get a license and if you break a law, you lose your car and don't drive for a while. If we had those laws here, 1st everyone would complain they are too tough, and our traffic problem woudl be solved since all the ******** we see on the road will no longer be there.
And speeding is a big problem here on LI. I think its crazy that I have to go over 80 in the left lane to keep the person behind me from goign through me, to then have them cut off the guy next to em and then cut me off. I will be the one that goes off the road and crashes and they will go on their way.
Old 09-23-2006, 04:50 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: yur1279

ORIGINAL: siggy14

NY's Program Names.
Buckle Up NY
And now Slow down NY

wow, dude, wake up. Your telling me the majorety of America cheat on their wives, smoke pot and listen to rock n roll??? If thats true, help us all. Also, in Germany is it alot harder/more expensive to get a license and if you break a law, you lose your car and don't drive for a while. If we had those laws here, 1st everyone would complain they are too tough, and our traffic problem woudl be solved since all the ******** we see on the road will no longer be there.
And speeding is a big problem here on LI. I think its crazy that I have to go over 80 in the left lane to keep the person behind me from goign through me, to then have them cut off the guy next to em and then cut me off. I will be the one that goes off the road and crashes and they will go on their way.
Id just like to know when rock n roll became equivalent to cheating on your wife or smoking pot? Poor rock n roll.. it never hurt you guys..

Also.. didnt Clinton play Jazz music?

Quick Reply: New NY Traffic Law enforcement